• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

surviving your chronic pain

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#81
Do any of you get constipation from any pain killers?
That can be quite a common effect associated with painkillers. Opiod induced constipation can usually be managed with a combo of increasing your fluid intake (water, fresh juices) as well as eating more fresh fruit and vegetables. Additionally, this can be managed with drug treatment by using stimulant and osmotic laxatives. So it might be a good idea to consult your doctor regarding drug induced constipation to see what can be done for you.
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#83
i am surviving my chronic pain. some days are better than others. but i keep doing things to try to improve it. at least even on really bad days i may get depressed a little or anxiety gets a bit high i don't have any meltdowns

mike
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#84
as most people know i suffer moderate to severe pain. i am lucky because it is undercontrolled pain not uncontrolled pain like some people. every time i feel bad because of my pain i tell myself there are people that are much worse than i am.

of course since i can't get enough opioid pain meds for what i need for the pain i look elsewhere. if it's legal i'll try it lol. the main part i'm reminding people of is you have to treat the pain aggressively by doing your own research. look up the reasons for your pain and look for anything that can help. meds of course, natural supplements, and any kind of physical therapy at home or medical setting. and of course check with your doctor about trying anything first.

if your doctor won't listen then maybe find a doctor who will. and remember chronic pain WILL cause depression and usually some anxiety. every once in a while i even have dark thoughts i have to fight, but as bad as those thoughts get sometimes i haven't been close to acting in a very long time. and when pain gets bad have someone irl or here to talk to. when my pain gets to 8, 9, or even 10 on the 10 scale i come here to vent. what usually happens is i get so busy i hardly notice the pain and by the time i finish the meds have kicked in. so keep yourself as busy as possible

mike
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#85
my pain is down to a 4 maybe even lower. i did a booboo on my meds which was more than i should take. it was an accident but i'm not complaining. pain hasn't been this low in a long time. it won't last so i'll enjoy it while i can

mike
 

full

SF Supporter
#86
I've had chronic pain since late 2020 and it was not managed for a couple of years. I have no clue how I endured it and ended up eventually having massive GI bleed, cardiac arrest and PTSD. Afterwards, I was fine for about couple of months when I started having unexplained pain for which ER would give me morphine shot or send me home with Norco prescription. Finally my PCP prescribed me oxycodone which I used for that pain randomly. I also started developing myalgia in my legs and they could not figure out why. My PCP now thinks it might be from the decreased flow in my lower extremities. I also have fractured vertebra in my back and when that was discovered back in November I was also given Norco. I also have chronic knee pain. These pains shuffle, I tried tapering down but as days go by I am using oxycodone more frequently because I live only now in this moment and when pain is too high I do want to have a quality moment and take it. If I feel I can endure the pain with tylenol or muscle relaxant plus benzo I will go for that option. Truth is that body builds up tolerance so it is a game. I tried mmj which is legal in my state; however, while it is great for all those pains, it sends my heart rate way too high which causes anxiety. So right now I am stuck with opioids while I do physical therapy and hopefully with time I will be able to completely get off of oxycodone or use it in very rare cases. And what @1964dodge Mike said, treat pain aggressively when it comes. I believe that because i did not address my pain for a couple of years I messed up my nervous system how it responds to pain and added to it hypervigilance of PTSD some days I am making amends with people I care for because I feel I will expire any moment. For example, tonight I will try to spend a night only on Tylenol and muscle relaxer and see how it goes.
 

1964dodge

Has a monkey as a friend
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
#87
I've had chronic pain since late 2020 and it was not managed for a couple of years. I have no clue how I endured it and ended up eventually having massive GI bleed, cardiac arrest and PTSD. Afterwards, I was fine for about couple of months when I started having unexplained pain for which ER would give me morphine shot or send me home with Norco prescription. Finally my PCP prescribed me oxycodone which I used for that pain randomly. I also started developing myalgia in my legs and they could not figure out why. My PCP now thinks it might be from the decreased flow in my lower extremities. I also have fractured vertebra in my back and when that was discovered back in November I was also given Norco. I also have chronic knee pain. These pains shuffle, I tried tapering down but as days go by I am using oxycodone more frequently because I live only now in this moment and when pain is too high I do want to have a quality moment and take it. If I feel I can endure the pain with tylenol or muscle relaxant plus benzo I will go for that option. Truth is that body builds up tolerance so it is a game. I tried mmj which is legal in my state; however, while it is great for all those pains, it sends my heart rate way too high which causes anxiety. So right now I am stuck with opioids while I do physical therapy and hopefully with time I will be able to completely get off of oxycodone or use it in very rare cases. And what @1964dodge Mike said, treat pain aggressively when it comes. I believe that because i did not address my pain for a couple of years I messed up my nervous system how it responds to pain and added to it hypervigilance of PTSD some days I am making amends with people I care for because I feel I will expire any moment. For example, tonight I will try to spend a night only on Tylenol and muscle relaxer and see how it goes.
mmj where legal can be a godsend to people. i do edibles and a salve with thc intact. i'll tell you the salve works better on my legs than edibles. i don't like getting hgh so if possible i keep it at 50 mg. doses,of course if the pain is out of control i will do 100 mg. maybe it may be a good idea to talk with your doctor about the salve it may be ok. when my pain is really bad the salve can drop my pain level by a whole point on the 10 scale.

i take morphine ,hydro-morphon , and muscle relaxants. i also take gabapentin and a 5% lidocaine patch on each leg. i also have a tens unt for when things get bad. the most important things are 1. never give up, and 2. research your issues online and look for other options. if you do the research you can help the doctor to make the right decisions. i'm sorry that you have to suffer through chronic pain, it isn't fair

mike.....*hug*shake
 

full

SF Supporter
#88
mmj where legal can be a godsend to people. i do edibles and a salve with thc intact. i'll tell you the salve works better on my legs than edibles. i don't like getting hgh so if possible i keep it at 50 mg. doses,of course if the pain is out of control i will do 100 mg. maybe it may be a good idea to talk with your doctor about the salve it may be ok. when my pain is really bad the salve can drop my pain level by a whole point on the 10 scale.

i take morphine ,hydro-morphon , and muscle relaxants. i also take gabapentin and a 5% lidocaine patch on each leg. i also have a tens unt for when things get bad. the most important things are 1. never give up, and 2. research your issues online and look for other options. if you do the research you can help the doctor to make the right decisions. i'm sorry that you have to suffer through chronic pain, it isn't fair

mike.....*hug*shake
Thanks for mentioning the mmj salve, I will look into it. My PCP does not delve into those things and pain management is not prescribing opoids because I am on benzo as well. So am currently stuck with my PCP who prescribes both knowing that I do not chug oxycodone in recommended doses but much lower and sparsely, one prescription is lasting me now over three months and hopefully it stays that way. Agreed on 1. and 2. and thank you for support and sharing *hug

I am hoping physical therapy will give good results. If not, one of the doctors in ER mentioned ketamine which is used for both mental and chronic pain issues and friend of mine has been using it for her depression saying it does wonders for her, so there are options to explore if one thing does not work.
 

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
#89
Thanks for mentioning the mmj salve, I will look into it. My PCP does not delve into those things and pain management is not prescribing opoids because I am on benzo as well. So am currently stuck with my PCP who prescribes both knowing that I do not chug oxycodone in recommended doses but much lower and sparsely, one prescription is lasting me now over three months and hopefully it stays that way. Agreed on 1. and 2. and thank you for support and sharing *hug

I am hoping physical therapy will give good results. If not, one of the doctors in ER mentioned ketamine which is used for both mental and chronic pain issues and friend of mine has been using it for her depression saying it does wonders for her, so there are options to explore if one thing does not work.
People react differently to mmj, for most it works great for some it causes adverse side effects like you had. Talk with the people at the dispensary you go to, they may be able to recommend something less potent, there have been major advancements in mmj and there are many varieties and options available. It's not all about the THC and getting high anymore, and you can find strains that are low in thc but have more tac for example.
I agree with @1964dodge about the salve, it works wonders.
Physical therapy was a lifesaver for me, I hope you find it beneficial as well.
Hope you can find a way to work through the pain and feel better
Hugs @full
 

full

SF Supporter
#90
People react differently to mmj, for most it works great for some it causes adverse side effects like you had. Talk with the people at the dispensary you go to, they may be able to recommend something less potent, there have been major advancements in mmj and there are many varieties and options available. It's not all about the THC and getting high anymore, and you can find strains that are low in thc but have more tac for example.
I agree with @1964dodge about the salve, it works wonders.
Physical therapy was a lifesaver for me, I hope you find it beneficial as well.
Hope you can find a way to work through the pain and feel better
Hugs @full
Ty *hug
 

full

SF Supporter
#91
While researching ways for opiate taper/ withdrawal stumbled upon study info regarding higher doses of vitamim C (and E) regarding not just withdrawal but pain in general. It might be of help to someone. My upper limit for it is quite high since I am on opoid medication, but everyone has threshold where what is too much will be going out real fast :)
Here it is:
Vitamin C, Pain and Opioid Use Disorder from NIH PubMed
 

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
#92
Have been in very bad pain since Saturday 6am. It's now Thursday evening and I'm just today able to move around a little. The pain level fluctuates between 8-10.
I'm done. My body has been hurting my entire life. I'm just done.
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#93
Have been in very bad pain since Saturday 6am. It's now Thursday evening and I'm just today able to move around a little. The pain level fluctuates between 8-10.
I'm done. My body has been hurting my entire life. I'm just done.
That sounds miserable, just absolutely horrible @Astrid78 ~are you able to get in to seek some kind of medical care, or assistance & treatment? Do you know if it is anything new, or in particular--with regards the source of all your troubles? I used to have super bad low back pain - then I got into an accident. And while it didn't really go away, another area or region, sort of blended in together with it - & overtook it (somewhat). Not necessarily the best rememdy, or solution, mind you! Best wishes, mrb*
 

Astrid78

Spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down
#94
That sounds miserable, just absolutely horrible @Astrid78 ~are you able to get in to seek some kind of medical care, or assistance & treatment? Do you know if it is anything new, or in particular--with regards the source of all your troubles? I used to have super bad low back pain - then I got into an accident. And while it didn't really go away, another area or region, sort of blended in together with it - & overtook it (somewhat). Not necessarily the best rememdy, or solution, mind you! Best wishes, mrb*
Thanks mrb, I have an appointment with a massage therapist next week and they are used to working with my specific pain condition so hopefully...
Sending hugs @MisterBGone
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top