Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Deety, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Karmitkurmit

Karmitkurmit King of the Hedge SF Supporter

Hiya Deety. To be honest, this sounds like you've done exactly the right thing. I often go to my counselling with an idea of what I want to talk about but sometimes something completely different comes out. When I try to correct it, my counselor stops me and asks more about what I was saying. That's the beauty of therapy, the most important things tend to come out when they need to. If your son was on your mind then that's what needed to be said.

Take your time, the deeper feelings will come out when they're ready and you're feeling more comfortable. The feelings of not deserving before hand you already know are coming, so at least they're not a shock to you. Hopefully, as you settle into it, they'll start to fade; but bring those up with the therapist when you can, it'd be a great place to start as it's not too deep but does touch on your underlying issues.

As for not feeling deserving of our time, I've got to agree completely with @Winter Blues . There's no pressure, but don't ever feel like you can't post here; you are just as worthy of this space as anyone and we care for you. If you weren't deserving we wouldn't be asking about it. Also, I don't know your entire story yet, but if you want to talk about your concerns over your son I'm all ears and eyes.

You're doing great, just try to look forward to next weeks session rather than dreading it.
    Deety likes this.
  2. Deety

Deety Well-Known Member

Well I might be failing in therapy in another way too... gone from 3 weeks in between sessions, to two weeks (saw her again today), and now 1 week until my next appointment. Hmmm. I'd been crying most of the morning before my session today.
  3. Karmitkurmit

Karmitkurmit King of the Hedge SF Supporter

Hello Deety. It's great to see you here, I was wondering how you were getting on?

I'll keep this short and sweet because there's a simple answer here; you can't fail therapy and certainly not because you're going more often. It is important to build a relationship with your counselor and three weeks in between sessions won't make that easy. I'm currently having a session a week, including today. If you need more reassurance, I mentioned your comment to my psychotherapist (I found out that's her official title, lol) today and she said that once a week is ideal and what she would recommend to any of her clients, as she did me. What you've actually done is improve your therapy and have given yourself the best chance of healing faster. Well done to you.

I'm so sorry you have been crying before hand. Did you mention it to her? Like I said before, I would assume that this may start to fade over time, I look forward to mine now rather than apprehensive.

My thoughts are with you and I hope you see improvements soon. Special St David's Day {{Hedgehugs}} to you :)