I think that people sometimes say things without realizing how it sounds/could sound to someone; or they are truly insensitive, selfish clods and don’t care, or they say things with no intention of hurting anyone, and don’t realize that their words or tone did, in fact hurt someone. The ones I try to avoid are the people I have seen be intentionally mean to others…without the others giving them any reason to be hurtful. Sometimes, people “retaliate,” but I don’t think that is the case with the people in our discussion, here. We might be seen as being quiet or strong and so there are unfortunately people in the world who pounce on differences and make others feel bad for it. The “mind reading” thing — I guess the solution to that is to ask the person directly (but maybe in private?) or to ask someone we are close to who is there, what they think was meant.
@sadhart — you are always so polite and sensitive to others here. You consider how your own situation might be making others feel. That is a trait that speaks of a generous and kind spirit. I’m thankful you are here and that you bring that to us.
@tryagain — It is unfortunate that some people “read” quiet as not interested in joining in, as “stand offish.” I’m glad you know it‘s them and not really you, even though it’s been invalidating at times.
@Innocent Forever — yes, values can differ from place to place. As a quieter person, I like the intimacy of a one-to-one convo. But I also enjoy being drawn out, stretching my comfort zone. I can be clown around people I know and trust and yet I’m probably a quiet clown.
@alchemist — I’m sorry you feel badly being introverted. It can have its tough moments, I know. And holidays can be particularly stressful — sometimes more people we have to be around and therefore a bigger sense that we need to be more outgoing. Some people even try to draw us out in a big booming way in a crowd (OK, that’s been ”my” experience…maybe not everyone’s) but it can be hard.
@may71 — you always provide some calm in the storm. When you post, I feel like I have a big brother who wants to look out for me.
@Lady Wolfshead, you are honest and straightforward. If you are concerned or upset or enjoying things, we know because you don’t play games, you just say things as you understand and feel them to be.
@seabird you are a kind person, too. A big heart and good sense. I enjoy reading your replies to people. You care.
@ib4uib —You also seem to be an honest soul. If I might say, I hope that we can move on from this topic within 10 years — either because we are more comfortable with ourselves, or because we’ve been able to stretch ourselves. People can grow and stretch when they are given the right tools and spaces to do so.
Sadhart, most real adults — not the ones who are adult age with adolescent mentalities — actually do accept that both introverts and extroverts bring their own special abilities to the table. I think there are some extroverts (and maybe even some extrovert-introvert mixes) out there, who feel quieter people aren’t putting out enough energy to fill their energy needs. Their unconscious body language or verbal language choices or tone of voice sound harsher then, but they probably don’t even realize it or why it’s happening deep in their subconscious…looking to feed a basic need for them. As a quieter person, I find that feels like criticism sometimes… “Ooooooh, I
should say something… I need to speak up or I might as well be invisible. Yeah…Maybe I’ll just go home, now…like right now.” The secret, I think, is that we need to love ourselves whether we are outgoing or quiet.
So Sadhart, love yourself for being you. No one else can be you as well as you do you. You are the expert you. I like you the way you are. If you want to stretch or grow or change, then I’ll support you in that. If you are fine being quieter, I’ll be with you on that. Just be you. You are a very special and considerate person. Those are good qualities that not everyone has.