We're quitters!

Poorer reason than lighting the filtered end? I was getting together with a non smoking asthmatic and was pretty clear about her disdain for smoking as a whole but when she asked “are you going to fuck and then go outside to smoke instead of snuggle?” I was like goddamnit... and quit. Pretty good decision at the end of the day.
Excellent story, I believe that a very valid point. I would like to share as well:

My dad used to smoke about 2 packs a day, even at home, even in the kitchen and other living spaces.
When I got a girlfriend, at some point she said she doesn't really like to come to my place because even if it's very nice, her clothes smell terribly when she gets home. She needs to put everything to the washing maching and take a long shower.
I saw that sometimes, she was reluctant to hug me.
She told me I was carrying the smell.
I felt very angry at my dad of course. But at least I'm certain I'm never lighting one up.
And at some point my dad decided to use a smokepipe instead. This made him reduce his consumption drastically, because you need to prepare it, to clean it and stuff.
And at some point he went back to cigs, but he wasn't used to carrying them anymore, ended up forgetting them in the car, forgetting to buy them. After a few days of forgetting he thought, well, let's see how it happens.
And, to my knowledge, never hit one since.

His skin now looks significantly better, he can now hike again. I really like how it turned out. I'm very proud.

Tana

I'm on about a day again...24h...had to start from the beginning, won't happen again (hopefully, it's hell).
A coping strategy, since I usually smoke after certain tasks, I avoid them. I still have coffee (which is a trigger), but when I feel the harsh urge, I turn on this "meditation", I like, and go with heavy breathing. It helps a ton. Find what works for you.

Also, I read a long time ago (and tried) putting a little salt on your tongue stops the craving, as does chewing gum. Both does help too. :)

Tana

So, I feel better when I smoke...less anxious, in less "pain", less suicidal even...more content...is this temporary, or will I always feel worse when lacking cigarettes?

laup

SF Supporter
We quite often 'forget' why we quit or want to quit.

From Zoe
I made a list of what I liked about smoking vs. what I hated about smoking ... and though I really missed it at first, looking at this list made me see that I didn't like smoking as much as I thought I did.

What I Liked About Smoking
  • The bonding I experienced with other smokers.
  • The feeling of creating a ritual.
  • Watching the cigarette burn and watching the smoke swirl.
  • Momentary gratification.

What I Hated About Smoking
  • The after-smell on my clothes, furniture, car, house, everything. Yuck.
  • Not being able to breathe properly.
  • The constant nagging cough. All day, all night.
  • Lots of phlegm, lots of throat-clearing and losing my voice mid-sentence.
  • Painful heartburn every night and every time I drank coffee.
  • Feeling winded after extremely mild activity.
  • Severe throbbing headaches, occasional migraines.
  • Lingering colds and bronchitis.
  • Racing heartbeat, more sweating.
  • Increased rate of hypertension.
  • Dizziness after smoking too fast or [having] too many cigarettes.
  • Nausea from smoking too much.
  • The constant coppery, ashy taste in my mouth.
  • Yellow skin, teeth, and fingernails.
  • Scaly, unhealthy-feeling skin.
  • Anxiety from the fear about what I was doing to myself and the consequences.
  • No relaxation, always feeling in need of something. A constant feeling of not being satisfied.
  • Mini-withdrawals throughout the day.
  • Feelings of shame while spending time with nonsmokers.
  • Not accomplishing tasks because of wasted time smoking.
  • The late-evening/middle-of-the-night trip to the gas station.

• Going out in bad weather to smoke alone.
  • Feelings of inadequacy and substance dependence.
  • Driving my cat out of the room every time I lit up.
  • Dry mouth and constant feelings of thirst.
  • Coughing so hard that I made myself sick.
  • Trembling hands and fingertips.
  • Fear. Of being unable to quit, of dying an untimely, painful death.
  • The stinging feeling in my lungs when I tried to take a deeper or slower breath.
  • Getting smoke in my eyes.
  • Burning my lips on the filter.
  • Trying to light short butts and feeling my eyebrows singe. Ouch!
  • Re-lighting a previously torched cigarette, so I don't "waste" any tobacco.
  • Overflowing ashtrays, ashes, and dust everywhere.
  • Burn holes in my car upholstery and on my clothes.
  • "Will I fall asleep smoking?"
  • "Will I catch something on fire?"
  • Dry, chapped lips.
  • The cost. All that money wasted on ruining my health and well-being.
  • My nails and hair grew very slowly.
  • Smoking fueled my compulsiveness relating to other bad habits, such as nail-biting and binge-eating.
  • Having to reapply my lipstick after smoking.

• The filthy taste of cheap tobacco.
  • Having to crack the car window in the pouring rain. Wet leg, wet arm, water in my eyes.
  • Tar build-up on windows and furniture.
  • The way my hair and skin smelled.
  • Limited motivation and energy.
  • Spilled tobacco in my purse, on my dresser, on my computer desk.
  • Lighting the filter end by mistake...
  • Dropping a cigarette while driving.
  • Trying to tap my ashes out the car window ... while the window is rolled up.
  • Dropping hot ashes or losing the tip of a cigarette.
  • Oops! Tapped ashes in my drink.
  • Feeling "exiled" in the smoking section/smoking room.
  • Dulled sense of taste and smell.

Maybe you should sit down and make a list like this for yourself. It might give you the nudge towards where you know you want to be.~Zoe
WOW

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
For the thousand time I am quitting, again from this second onwards, its bloody hard especially when you live with smokers and its around you. I am using nicotine replacement though but anything is better than that crap in the ciggies.

Let's do this.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
For the thousand time I am quitting, again from this second onwards, its bloody hard especially when you live with smokers and its around you. I am using nicotine replacement though but anything is better than that crap in the ciggies.

Let's do this.
i hope you make it this time. i know you can do this...mike...*hug

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
i hope you make it this time. i know you can do this...mike...*hug
*hiding

I suck at this Mike but one day I'll succeed, I went the whole month of December without cigs, went back on them one day when I wasn't in the best mood, i'll try again and won't stop trying, I bought a new e-cig 2 days ago so after this pack of cigs im going to try again.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00