What reasons behind Teenagers suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's also because they don't know how bad things can get. They may see it on the news but things seem unreal through a tv. Teenageers have just gone from being a carefree(ish) child to having to be more responsable, deal with the instinct to attract the other sex and companions, important school exams, puberty and the changing body and they become alot more aware of the people around them. It's a big, overwhelming jump that is hard when it all happens suddenly. The move into adult repsonablilyies is often slower but for some is just as overwhelming.

F

FoundAndLost1

I am not judging other people's feelings. I am judging their reactions to these feelings because 9 times of 10, they serve only to make things worse. We cannot control our feelings, but we can absolutely control our reactions to them. This is the age where we need to mature and develop the coping skills that will carry us through the rest of our lives.
I cannot see how anyone is in a position to “judge” either, if anything. All that accomplishes in effect is to create an “us & them” mentality, which serves no one. Yes, it would be well and good to have such realizations, yet I also wanted to add, that no, one cannot *always* choose how they react – not when confronted with something new, unexpected, and at that moment utterly overwhelming (it is in essence “shock”). And it matters not that someone around them *may* have experienced a similar thing (though it can help), because it has not yet been their own internal and *internalized* experience.

Nor, again, can they “choose” when such overwhelming circumstances compound one on top of another, especially over time (this is the part of the essence of PTSD)…

Some are born with innate coping aptitudes, even skills, and some are nurtured. Many are not. Some have examples of “strength” around them to admire, and so try to follow and emulate. Again, many do not. Some may discover such strength within themselves along the way through or even after adversity, and be surprised that they even possessed it. Yet, once more, many will not stumble upon it. And even those who have indeed coped, reckoned with, overcome, made due, made peace with, or truly survived adversity, these can also succumb to emotional, physiological – if not spiritual exhaustion and breakdown – once again, not being able to “choose” their reaction.

So no, there is no way that everyone has the innate secret recipe for how to make lemonade when life gives you lemons. Nor does it necessarily (let alone inevitably) come with age – *any* age. And furthermore, those who *do* possess it might do well to be an example, and to engage in compassion in each truly unique case as it presents itself, instead of generalizing/making broad assumptions. Such things as ‘hormones’ being a factor for instance, and seemingly tritely mentioning them does no more help someone older either, who is going through peri-menopause, menopause, and/or a mid-life crisis (and who supposedly has “coping” down to a fine science).

Simply put, unless one has walked a mile in someone else’s particular shoes, or at least tried to, it’s hardly effective nor helpful - ‘deigning to’ instruct them in what direction they should be going.

Esmeralda

I have read this thread, and clearly, Anastasia is not trying to offend anyone here reading this thread, despite that it seems that some people were offended by her intelligent, thoughtful commentary. She isn't being insultive when she makes statements about the general teenage population's personalities and how suicide ideation plays a part into their thinking when dealing with typical teenage issues. As bad as society is, the serious abuse issues described here on SF, are not representative of the majority of teenage life in the world, with the exception of bullying.

Bullying itself, is a major issue, and it does affect many teenagers. I posted my opinions in this thread : http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?p=426144#post426144

Independence is what teenagers seek, and they seek for it in many different ways. Some good, and some not so good.
Thanks Amethyst :) You are right on. I am not trying to offend anyone, and you are correct in your statement that this generalization does not apply to many of the teens here who have been seriously abused and therefore require much more than a "just wait until you're older" and a pat on the back.

Esmeralda

I cannot see how anyone is in a position to “judge” either, if anything. All that accomplishes in effect is to create an “us & them” mentality, which serves no one. Yes, it would be well and good to have such realizations, yet I also wanted to add, that no, one cannot *always* choose how they react – not when confronted with something new, unexpected, and at that moment utterly overwhelming (it is in essence “shock”). And it matters not that someone around them *may* have experienced a similar thing (though it can help), because it has not yet been their own internal and *internalized* experience.
Really? Because I think that sometimes, letting someone know they are behaving wrongly is not only the right thing to do, but necessary. It is possible to be compassionate and say, "I understand that you are hurting very badly and I wish I could take that hurt away, but this behavior is completely counter-productive and unacceptable".

Also, I think you would be surprised how often we can "choose" our actions. For example, if the love of your life broke up with you and left the house while you were in the shower, you would be understandably traumatized, heartbroken. Does this mean that without putting on clothing, you would burst out of the front door screaming, naked and dripping wet and chase that person down the street? No? Congratulations, you have just chosen a mature reaction to a terrible situation.

And yes, some people are born with coping skills or good examples around them. But as a teenager, a human being is becoming an adult and needs to start acting like one. Teens need to realize that the teenage years pretty much blow for everyone (I don't understand the people on here saying that teenage years are supposed to be carefree and fun...I never got that memo...being a teenager sucks, hard). Your childhood years are behind you at this point and it's time to step up to the plate and show/develop some emotional maturity. Yes it's sad and yes, it sucks, but acknowledge that and move on as best you can because nobody is gonna hold your hand through those years.

And generalizations are not inherently bad, because often, they represent a real truth. Of course I believe in compassion and of course any hurting person deserves it. But compassion isn't going to make anyone stop feeling like shit. It may make them feel temporarily better until the next world-ending incident at school and then that person will be back to square one. What many teens need is real. practical advice on how to grow up and deal with life.

At some point, blaming your Mother or your Father or your boy/girlfriend or your teacher or any number of external factors for one's unhappiness is crippling. Whatever the reason for a person's unhappiness, the only thing for it is to take responsibility of who and what YOU are and do your best from there. The blame game is utterly useless and only serves to prolong one's problems.

delargeal

I have read this thread, and clearly, Anastasia is not trying to offend anyone here reading this thread, despite that it seems that some people were offended by her intelligent, thoughtful commentary. She isn't being insultive when she makes statements about the general teenage population's personalities and how suicide ideation plays a part into their thinking when dealing with typical teenage issues. As bad as society is, the serious abuse issues described here on SF, are not representative of the majority of teenage life in the world, with the exception of bullying.
I personally wouldn't have gone with "intelligent, thoughtful commentary". I'd have personally said the opposite of that as I don't agree with Anastasia trying to generalise the entire youth population as some self-absorbed bunch of fuckwits. If the younger folk here don't find that offensive, then I don't know what they would find offensive.

And a good tip: if you're trying not to offend anyone, best not to even post something that people can find offensive. I would've thought that was common knowledge.

Esmeralda

I personally wouldn't have gone with "intelligent, thoughtful commentary". I'd have personally said the opposite of that as I don't agree with Anastasia trying to generalise the entire youth population as some self-absorbed bunch of fuckwits. If the younger folk here don't find that offensive, then I don't know what they would find offensive.

And a good tip: if you're trying not to offend anyone, best not to even post something that people can find offensive. I would've thought that was common knowledge.
I never said anyone was a fuckwit, first of all, although the term comes to mind more and more...

Secondly, I wasn't "trying NOT to offend" anyone, I was "not TRYING to offend" anyone. There is a difference. Sometimes people find this sort of thing offensive because it actually contains practical advice that might (gasp!) require some sort of work or action on their part as opposed to simply being able to blame the entire outcome of their life on everyone around them while indulging in the thrills and spills of extreme emotional highs and lows.

Personally, I would rather receive a response like this one than some bullshit "There, there. Sorry your life blows and I hope it gets better. It's obviously everyone else's fault. In the meantime, just keep doing what you're doing because it is clearly working out so well. :hug:"

Like, gag me with a spoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boratz

I open this thread in an attempt to dig deeper in the very core how ,where ,what, why that our kids , including mine might, cause them to feel isolated & alone. I might have sound very naive having no clue about this issues but I never meant it that way.

Anastasia, imho, let me you tell you what I know & first hand experience along with travelling the world, I see that when you said you we should bring our children to South LA so they will find out for themselves that there are more to this life far away of what other kids is going through > I am assuming that what you mean is the poverty the other kids is going through. This is so far from reality. What you see in them the food deprivation & other things our children have here. The truth of the matter is certainly our children are also deprived with basic needs , and that is the love,comfort ,& affection that orher childre on the other side of the world is abundant. And these children stricken with hunger for food do not think suicide is the answer. They die from malnutrition, violence , tsunami , & other s that are beyond no body's control. The highest rate of suicide is more in the West where technology is driving us to forget our values as human beings who needs love, comfort, safety & affection.

This is all what I can say for today. It is my desire to find out where ,how ,why, such a deplorable way of living we as adults is suffering. IN my opinion from childhood we carry these pains all the way throoug to adulthood & here we are maybe differnt road we travelled yet we end up in the same place.

Esmeralda

Here in the West, children do not develop coping skills. Why else would a child who goes to bed hungry every night and sees his/her family members die around them because of tragedy not be more inclined to commit suicide?

I see all these teens on here who think that the teenage years should be happy and carefree because they are inundated with media images from shows such as the O.C. The bottom line is that kids in the West do not have the necessary coping skills to get them through the things that almost every teen must go through.

They are too sheltered. That is why I bring up the idea of going and working with the homeless. So that these children can see FIRST HAND how other people live right around the corner and also to get them thinking not about their own problems and woes, but about the plight of others as well. When you're serving food to a bunch of homeless people who only want a kind word and a hot meal once in awhile, it makes them think about what they have and it distracts them from their own problems. Hopefully, it makes them feel a bit more fortunate. Service to others is a great way to get out of your own mind and your own problems.

Boratz

Here in the West, children do not develop coping skills. Why else would a child who goes to bed hungry every night and sees his/her family members die around them because of tragedy not be more inclined to commit suicide? [COLOR="Blue"

[COLOR="Blue"]It was me who is wondering , as I cannot relate to the childrens's plight. My ignorance to understand them .
As I observed Children in the West do not develop with coping skills becoz it is a different way of deprivation that they are dealing with in most cases ,as a child whther they are provided with all the material things we can find under the sun , being deprived or starve of emotional needs hidden inside, let me assume that the result of this deprivation is more tragic than those who are deprived of food & basic needs. And also how we can expect our children to have a coping mechanisms when the very core to produce that skills are the most damaged & paralyze or depressed& cannot function well.The brain. [/COLOR][/COLOR]
C

That is my experience that my teenage years are also full of challenges however the guidance from my parents makes it twisted that instead of us dealing with theses problems they take over & the lessons learned is stuck inmy head full of gratifying scores oof learning capabilities how my parents teached us by showing the example not by lip service ,& most of all when instead of supporting the children what they needed , what they get being told as a wussy & dumb & stupid or you are making this up. How many parents nowadays go to the school to make sure that our children will know & confronted with the all time high ,homicides ,school shootings & bombings.
No these parents are the ones who are self absorbed that instead of puting the safety & security of our children so busy & making themselves * happy* by working so much so they can have this & have that . They are the ones who are driven by the media ,not our children. No time to the children that rather don't have an SUV so we can have more time together. Or tell our & daughters & son, don't worry about your grades as long as you do the best is good enough ,not to please me but to you. Or forget your room if it messy as long as you are comfortable with it. They may sound very negative but this is a strong validation of self worth & not a command that our children worries every day becoz their mother requires the best looking * neat * house to show off that she is in full control in her throne taking away the most important value in every ones life not to be in constant fear that if I don't do this & that my mother will gone ballistic again.

Have you heard the saying that a clean car is a sign of a sick mind? Or the most messiest house is a symbol that family gave more emphasis of having fun & freedom n their own house? How could you develop a coping skills when you are always barage left & right with requirements to your mother & the school?

They are too sheltered. That is why I bring up the idea of going and working with the homeless. So that these children can see FIRST HAND how other people live right around the corner and also to get them thinking not about their own problems and woes, but about the plight of others as well. When you're serving food to a bunch of homeless people who only want a kind word and a hot meal once in awhile, it makes them think about what they have and it distracts them from their own problems. Hopefully, it makes them feel a bit more fortunate. Service

Again how could they be too sheltered when their parents are so busy in making more money instead of these time to invest o the children rather than having what Joe smow next door I should have them too.
The problems we are dealing here is the very opposite of being sheltered . They are NOT as I said the parents are the ones who are so self absobed & not the children. Maybe we cannot brake the cycle of the silence of the plight of our children bocz this is the only way the parents know how. The parents are the ones who is needing of being sheltered from the outside world not the children. When the children are told by their parents the values they believed in that they the priority of our time not the goddamn boat SUV, HD TV's, cellphones,along these proceess we are teaching them to be like us that these material world is robbing them the most vital need of growing up , is our precious time. Time when lost it cannot be be reproduce , it cannot be held on hold , once its gone its gone forver, we cannot buy them & tthere is dollar 4sign attch to it. WHEN we deprived children of our time , that is when we lose control of the affection the children needed the most. The open communication is a by product of our sensistivity n their emotional needs , where we can be there to guide & teach them how to confront problems beyond their developing brain can cope with. Bullying is one that we needed to protect them from .But what we do , blame it to the schools. I know I cnnot be there 24-7 for my son but I taught him survival methods to confront them & I will take of the rest . Example of this is when his art teacher was very nasty to the kids ,not only the she picked on my son but I found out from other kids that them too until they reached maturity is still having nightmares from this damn bitch. You don't need the rest of the story.

o others is a great way to get out of your own mind and your own problems.

They don't have problems it is us the society in general that created them for them. They did not wish to be born & have them bullied in school. To give you another insight . There are peolpe who are bullied in the work force & they have no coping skills either to cope them but to swallow them to the point they loses their mind & get sick from the fear these they instill in them from 45 hours a week in dread to come to work becoz of this. The mind are truly very poweful when they are program to know what decision we need to take ,that doesn't preclude that it is always correct but the most gratifying value is the lesson learned & next time I will try another strategy.

Don' tell me coz I have been seen & grown not even near the silver spoon in my mouth nor I know what a silver means or what it look likes ( we use our hands to eat), I saw & feel for myself the destitution of many many children who died in starvation ,yeah it is a re thoric that no children should go to bed hungry & worst die from starvation. Reality is they are there ,millions everyday througout the world. Maybe if our children here are not suicidal & us too, we are able to help them. But how can we think of them when we cannot deal with our own chaos in our lives?

I place this thread as I do not understand the reason of our children the worst thing in life to kill ourselves. This is very tragic to me , quite disturbing that It occupied my mind everyday. I kind explain the adult as I am one of us. What keeps me strong & hide from my son is to show him that this is not the best way to deal with very tragic moments in life but to provide guidance for him. This guidance somehow give him an assurance that mom is always there to give me advice when I needed her. And trust me he can thow me in the curb leaving me speechless for the wisdom that adults don't have.

All I wish is to open us actually as parents to teach each other our role in our chidren's lives.This way they don't have to end up in this forum

Everyone has its own reason, sometimes the problems are real, sometimes they are not real, but still they exist in both cases. So, what reasons? I dont know, but there is always a reason.

Esmeralda

I disagree that it's because the parents are self-absorbed. They work and sacrifice so much because they have kids who say all they want for Christmas is a 600 dollar Playstation3. And they have the SUV (not a sportscar) so that they can shuttle the kids to and from soccer/gymnastics/hockey practice every single evening after they get home from work.

And re: the pressure to get good grades and have a tidy room...gimme a break. I understand where your bleeding heart is coming from, but if a child can't handle those minor requirements, how are they EVER going to survive the real world? Our parents don't say "Just do your best" because to a teenager, that's the exact same thing as saying, "Don't fail or anything, but don't knock yourself out trying either". Parents encourage their children to get better grades because they generally know what their children are capable of and they want their children to have the opportunity to go to college if that's what they want and only their parents have the foresight to know that good grades in high school are absolutely necessary for this. And a tidy room? That's just common sense. It takes approximately 5 minutes every day to make your bed and throw old clothes in the laundry basket. A kid who can't handle that...well, I just don't know what to say to that. Cleanliness shows respect for oneself, one's environment, one's possessions and the family home in general, not to mention the fact that the child is learning good habits that will last him or her the rest of their lives.

It is up to the parents to guide their children and teach them how to live so that when they leave the house, they can take care of themselves. For example, I love my husband to pieces, but he was never forced to clean anything and now the man can't wash a dish or iron a damn shirt. I'm not saying he WON'T, because bless his heart, he tries. He literally CAN'T do it as quickly and efficiently ass I can. It takes him 30 minutes to iron a shirt and then it still looks like crap.

We may not like it all the time, but our parents are there not only to shelter us and care for our needs, but to TEACH us, and sometimes, those lessons aren't very much fun. Bravo to the parents who don't just get lazy because they are tired of hearing their children complaining and who actually do the tough thing by making their children do these things.

F

FoundAndLost1

I disagree that it's because the parents are self-absorbed. They work and sacrifice so much because they have kids who say all they want for Christmas is a 600 dollar Playstation3. And they have the SUV (not a sportscar) so that they can shuttle the kids to and from soccer/gymnastics/hockey practice every single evening after they get home from work.
Way to dissuade them from so much materialism - sweet. :dry:
And way to perpetuate justification for unsustainable living - nice value to keep instilling in kids, no? (Why not make them take the bus downtown to the soup kitchen??) :dry:

Our parents don't say "Just do your best" because to a teenager, that's the exact same thing as saying, "Don't fail or anything, but don't knock yourself out trying either".
Another ridiculous, sweeping, and hyperbolic generalization (not to mention inaccurate). Gosh. 'Wouldn't want them to accidentally stumble upon the notion and accept that "there will always be greater and lesser persons than yourself" (Desiderata), now would we!

Cleanliness shows respect for oneself, one's environment, one's possessions and the family home in general, not to mention the fact that the child is learning good habits that will last him or her the rest of their lives.
...usually leading into obsession with appearances and even more materialism - judging by all the 'tiny-perfect' homes owned and "run" (like miniature museums) by the suburbanites, actually ruining the environment :dry: Yep - another grand value to instill...a great and profound sense of meaning and purpose in our lives and that of our offspring (and we wonder why they become disillusioned so early on...)

Last edited:

SadDude87

When you try to understand a suicidal person, you have to look beneath the exterior.

PLENTY of people seem to have perfect lives. I mean we only show what we want others to see.

In my case I had no sex drive. I felt sick in my stomach during social situations, and just wanted to escape. I hated the way I looked. I hated anyone being better than me at anything. It would make me feel a combination of rage, self hatred and anxiety. I have grown up in a house with 2 parents who hated each other my entire life, and therefore never even knew what a happy relationship consisted of. I realise that logically I should be able to overcome my problems, yet even when I realise this on the inside I always feel the same way. And knowing this makes me feel even weaker, and exacerbates negative feelings. All of these problems merge into one massive wave of self hate and suicidal thoughts when I feel especially down.

Yet, to the outside world I am a completely normal person with more going for me than the average joe.

It is never simple. The sooner people understand that the better.

F

FoundAndLost1

For example, I love my husband to pieces, but he was never forced to clean anything and now the man can't wash a dish or iron a damn shirt. It takes him 30 minutes to iron a shirt and then it still looks like crap.
BTW, throughout this thread in particular, you (and you alone) have repeatedly demonstrated a remarkable distain for adolescents, inferring that you’re actually biting your tongue in (leaning towards) calling them “fuckwits”. Though it was “magnanimous” of you not to include those who have suffered various forms of abuse, trauma, and/or mental illness in your broad summarizations.

Call me dense, but I just can’t fathom this…Since a significant number of members on this site are indeed adolescents, and have indeed suffered abuse, trauma (and mental illness), and happen to be introspective (navel-gazers? Not all!), and since you have long passed your own “emo” stage and are not in the least suicidal yourself, just why exactly are you even here?? What is it that you *perceive* yourself as positively contributing to the subject that so many here in fact have been and/or remain affected by? Disrupting a sincere effort by the OP to try to understand such things by digressing about your horribly inept and obviously hopeless husband (though God love you and grant you your well-deserved brownie points, you “put up” with him)…. :dry:

I hope the dialogues continues...I for one like to keep learning, as individual circumstances and life-experiences vary from person to person...

i didnt read the whole thread because my head hurts lol but i do want to post so sorry if i repeat anything or everything

in my own personal life ( i am a teenager btw) kids are so cruel. half of the time i am not a victim to the abuse or "bullying"...i dont like that word, bullying....that is caused by some teens but i witness it and it reminds me of what i went through before i learned how to overlook other peoples opinions. i had an eating disorder straight out of elementary school because i was called fat, and i still go school with the person who teased me back then and i cant find it in myself to forgive her. that is the only person in this world that i know, that i hate.

suicide was an escape for me, it was a way to get away from my problems and leave the pain and hurt caused by my life.

but i think that jst because we are teenagers does not mean that we shouldnt be feeling suicidal, because a lot of kids have to deal with more than the average adult. i do admit that being suicidal or self harming has been more of a trend in recent years because we dont see a proper way to deal with what we are feeling, but all in all no matter what age you are NO ONE should have to feel the way everyone here has felt.

sarahmk2

if only hindsight was available when you are in pain. seeing past this minute can be almost impossible when you are in pain.
you cannot talk reason to someone who is severely depressed, the brain cannot accept it. this tends to mean that normal everyday problems which most people can deal with become overwhelming.
add a load of raging hormones into this mix and its a distaster waiting to happen

Sa Palomera

Aside from hereditary mental illnesses or chemical imbalances, most teenagers who are suicidal are that way because they are self-absorbed. They have no foresight and no patience and so being sad for 1 or 2 years seems like an eternity for them. When you are a teenager, you think the world revolves around you and it is a rarity to see a teenager who cares about much besides things that affect them directly. Teenagers cannot see or think globally, so all they have is the shit that is happening to THEM right NOW. This mentality makes for some pretty extreme highs and lows.

Teenagers are also under the impression that the opinions of people they will never see again after high school are actually worth a shit. Most teens could benefit greatly from learning how to tell other teens/bulllies to go fuck themselves.
:dry:
I've suffered from severe depression from when I was like 15/16 until somewhere last year. only now (I'm 20) am I getting better.
I was in no way self-absorbed though. In fact the fact that some of my mates were depressed only dragged me down more. Because I cared so much.
Still I have periods during which I get really really down, suicidal even at times, just due to thinking of about how fucked up the world is and how awfully poor some people are and how people are destructing the planet as well as each other.
How is that self-absorbed?

Of course you think of your own problems too, I consider that normal. After all, bottling it up, pushing it away or going for Ostrich Policy will only make it come back and hit you twice as hard eventually. So you have to look inwards, self-reflect and think of your own as well.

I think you shouldn't generalise the way you did, it's not fair. Of course there are some teens who are self-absorbed, but there also are adults being self-absorbed. Doesn't mean all of them are.

Melancholy

Our parents don't say "Just do your best" because to a teenager, that's the exact same thing as saying, "Don't fail or anything, but don't knock yourself out trying either". Parents encourage their children to get better grades because they generally know what their children are capable of and they want their children to have the opportunity to go to college if that's what they want and only their parents have the foresight to know that good grades in high school are absolutely necessary for this.
WHAT?
What a generalisation. My parents say "just do your best" because they know how much I would beat myself up for doing badly anyway, without their added pressure of thinking I was a failure if I didn't get straight As. It seems to me as if you are in no position to be posting in this topic in the first place, let alone insulting those who are obviously in such a bad place as to consider committing suicide. Whatever you think, it is adding nothing to the original question which is why todays teenagers are suicidal. Why? Because you seem to have no idea about what is going on in the minds of todays teenagers to make any judgement.

For a site buddy you sure are judgemental (not just in this particular area.)

:dry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00