• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

when you're depressed what makes you feel better:

silent_chaos

Well-Known Member
My bird makes me feel better, music, sometimes a funny movie. Hanging out with friends at the club, when my anxiety let's me go! Sleeping! My hobbies I use to have I've lost intrest, my saltwater tank, so I sold it. I miss it once in a while. Having a partner really makes me feel better, when I have one!
 
Cigarettes, lots of cigarettes, they keep me cool, and keep me from harming my self (directly). It also comforts me to know that it is slowly shortening my life. So I won't have to spend that extra minute living this mistake called life.
 
Smoking is expensive. I still do it but want to quit because well, it's just too fucking expensive. And my cough, how gross is the sound of my cough? I sound like a frog. My mother died of respiratory failure, and at my age, if I don't quit now, that is how I will end up, hacking away, fighting for breath, between puffs.

Let's quit together, Jackinator, let's quit on 1/1/11. Want to?
 
Short Term:

-A nap. Sometimes I'm merely out of sleep, and when I wake up it's like a fresh start to the deep sadness I've been feeling.
-Watching Jersey Shore. Maybe it might make some people more depressed, but it is truly hilarious for me to observe these people bouncing around in their own drunken, sex-crazed little worlds.
-Seeing an animal. They're always there for you.
-Going outside. Swing on some swings if you can, there's a certain lightness to it which doesn't allow you to be unhappy. :)
-Dancing! Not only is this exercise, but it's also a true expression of yourself to the beat of music you love. It's what makes me happiest when I can force myself to get up.

Long Term:

-Being on good terms with friends and family. Often episodes of depression are set off from conflict with people you love.
-Taking my antidepressants, continuing to see my therapist. I can tell the difference when I forget to take that little blue pill.
-Going to bed on time! SLEEP IS IMPORTANT. don't underestimate it. If you can't sleep, try to take some sort of sleep assister. (not necessarily a sleeping pill)


I hope this helps some people. :)
 

Daijou

Well-Known Member
Short Term:
-Writing: It helps to just write out how I feel, usually in the form of poems.
-Taking a walk: As simple as it is, just getting out and being active makes me feel good. But I hate going out alone, so I usually wait for company first..
-Talking to someone: I'm not the most talkative person, so maybe this would be more "listening" than talking, but it helps me feel less alone.
-Watching a movie or show: Not much there except it serves as a distraction.
-Napping/Sleeping: Sometimes it feels nice to just shut down for a while.
-Working on a project of some sort: It helps me to just have something taking up my focus, but hard to find something to do since I usually can't motivate myself.
-Nature/Animals: I love being around trees and flowers and wildlife and all of that stuff. However, now living in a city means that I don't get to see much of that any longer.

Long Term:
I haven't found anything that works long term for me yet. Depression for me is like a shadow: it's always there, but sometimes you just can't see it. :(
 

Decode

Well-Known Member
Short term;

Someone i like smiling at me, instant happiness. How sad is that.
The funny pigeons that play in my garden.
Finding money or something i like.
Doing something ingenious, it makes me smile.
Helping someone.
Talking to someone or having someone listen.
Thats all i can think of at the moment.

Longterm;......?

Long Term:
I haven't found anything that works long term for me yet. Depression for me is like a shadow: it's always there, but sometimes you just can't see it. :(
I couldn't think what to put then i saw that. Well put.
 

plates

my thought space
i just go with it tbh. ride it out. i used to try and force myself to have 'structure' but that lead to me going nuts and ending up in hospital. i found when i just listened to myself, did what i wanted, things (structure) settled into place with little effort. lately, i'm easily triggered and getting flashbacks which is another issue. what helps me is yelling here and trying to calm myself down safely.
 

pinkpetals33

Well-Known Member
like what his name said, everything that use to give me a little short lived feeling of good, is no longer doing it....everything from a-z is not working anymore. I am a walking puppet
 
The problem I find is that without the hope that one day I will not be depressed then what is the point?

I take my pills, I talk about how I feel, I talk to myself, I really try ...

I really do try.

People on this forum understand what most people do not; you cannot snap out of it, that to live without hope that one day you will wake and depression will never return; is not a life.

My only advice is that you must take one day at a time - tomorrow does not exist and never will in the way you think it will today.
 

Daijou

Well-Known Member
People on this forum understand what most people do not; you cannot snap out of it, that to live without hope that one day you will wake and depression will never return; is not a life.
I know exactly what you mean there. Everyone is telling me all the time to just cheer up and that it's not that bad. If only it were so easy to just will it all away and things would be perfect again, but it's not. Even doctors and such know how it works, but unless they themselves are depressed they don't fully understand what it's like. That's a major reason I find it easier to say things here than anywhere else, because everyone understands where I'm coming from.
 

gakky1

Well-Known Member
Nothing lately, used to somewhat feel better listening to music, watching a movie, surfin' the net, now nothing is getting me out of my gloom.:grr:
 
I have this fantasy where I am sat at my desk with a SPAS 12 laying on it, I look at the shot gun.
I pick it up and put the most messy type of slug in it.
I put the handle in my right hand, I slowly put my left hand on the loading thing, I pull it back and makes a loud "SHUCK" sound then push it forward "SHICK".
I put the barrel in my mouth and...

!!BANG!!

I see blood and brains and skull and various other head matter splatter again the hideous beige walls behind me the gun falls on the desk and my hands fall on the desk too and there is just a headless me there, then after about 5 seconds my body flops forward onto the desk and then the various head matter slowly slithers down the wall usually making strange "sqelching" sounds as it does...

That day dream always makes me feel good about life...
 

TWF

Well-Known Member
When I'm extremely down, just going on SF and thinking about death can make me feel better, it's quite odd. Whenever I'm on here it's because I feel down, at my lower points.
 
Here lately when I get depressed, I listen my favorite songs or Jazz and just relax in my room alone for a few hours.
I love to listen to Eminem the most when I'm down for some reason lately ♥
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00
Top