when you're depressed what makes you feel better:

Speaking with my support system- There is nothing that can compare to having people that will talk to you whenever, and it is even better when there are no boundaries to the conversation.

Music- I play the ukulele and the guitar and I've started composing songs inspired by my Major Depressive Disorder. It makes things less confusing when I turn them into songs.

Writing- Aside from writing music, I also journal and I'm currently writing my first full-length book. I also wrote an award-winning short film at the age of fourteen.

My favorite book- Secrets for the Mad by Dodie. She has depression, anxiety, and DPD, and she wrote a book about her life experiences. I would definitely recommend it.

Drinking water- There isn't really much to say here.

Music - All of my music is depressive, but hearing someone else experiencing these emotions is cathartic, and almost impedes me from acting on my own feelings.
Writing Poetry - This forces my brain to remember rules and conventions that bring me back to the place I'm in, and the words that are clogging my brain can finally be somewhere and set in an order that takes their power away. Placing words in the order of sentences and locations and description limits them to a place where they belong, and they can't float around your head without becoming something completely different from what you were thinking before.
Dancing, Biking, Hiking, Working - All heavily-physical activities that force dopamine into my brain. I do these regularly, though when I'm out of options, these are the manual go-to's. I do experience depression that makes it hard for me to move some days, but starting with a tapping foot and working up to dancing works, even if it takes all day.
Singing - I sing terribly, but sometimes I need to remember that my flaws humanize me, and it's through even some of these that I can relate to another person, and even if someone isn't in the exact same situation as me, a lot of people have the same issues if they were all together in a room. Singing helps me feel like less of a victim, because it's my bad, and I can own it and keep it to myself.
Glow Sticks - A sort of "treat myself," buying glow sticks from the dollar store and making yourself a picnic to take yourself out to at night can make you feel really classy. Sometimes, it's planning and acting on an activity that makes you feel better and more in-control of your situation when depression flares up, and it was one of those nights where I had to do something or risk going to bed 100% miserable instead of anything lower. But it's become a rewarding activity on really bad days, and it's fun to take those glow sticks home and throw them around your bedroom, and let yourself be surrounded by soft light. Sensations can often play into my depression, and it gets really bad at night, but the glow sticks remind me that the darkness isn't as thick as it looks like, and it's not going to smother me if I just give myself a little rest.
Carbonated Water - It's like angry water. But seriously, it's often super calming to take a swig of something bitter that doesn't have caffeine in it and won't make you go crazy like caffeine can (caffeine effects my mood DRASTICALLY). Also it's validating to drink something that most people won't, and you won't have to share it! Very refreshing for the palate, texture of soda with better benefits, and I'd say that it's cheered me up my fair share of nights.
Self-Conversing - I had grown out of talking to myself a long time ago before I started up again. While not the most glamorous thing to do in the world, when you're alone it can be self-assuring to say the jokes that you find funny but maybe your friends don't, or share some of that inside humor with yourself. It can teach you more about self-love, and acceptance of who you are as a person. And sometimes if you're emotions are too stubborn to be expressed externally, self-conversing can bring those emotions to the surface. A good cry is all about the release of dopamine afterwards. It also assists with frustration and anger too, which if you struggle with, this can be a useful tool in your tool belt! :)
Family - I'm not a person with an ideal family situation, but if you have parents that will listen and be considerate to your feelings, they're a valuable resource in a land of resources-few-and-far-between. They still might have something to teach you!

Hope this helps someone! I really like this thread :)

Hanging out with friends but we’re so busy we rarely get the chance to do it. So its mostly just youtube/netflix/hulu to pass the time and learning the guitar as well. Wish there were people i know that i could play boardgames with!

Walker

Everything Zen
Staff member
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Supporter
Reading, sleeping, showering, tidying up, cooking something special and extra nice.
Showering makes you happy when you're depressed huh? wow ok And cooking too? You're like the antithesis of depression. Can you come be depressed at my place, brother? Cause I'll take up drinking with you if you'll cook and clean haha

HumanExMachina

Swills Soup
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Showering makes you happy when you're depressed huh? wow ok And cooking too?
Absolutely! Getting out of the shower squeaky clean and smelling all producty makes it a lot easier to get out of the dumps than feeling like a dirtbag. And when the inner little kid is mopey, what's going to perk him up more than one of his favorite meals?
Cause I'll take up drinking with you if you'll cook and clean haha
Sure, as long as you're buying. I'll get the disco light out and we can breakdance to the Song A Day thread. No popping.

Walker

Everything Zen
Staff member
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Supporter
Getting out of the shower squeaky clean and smelling all producty makes it a lot easier to get out of the dumps than feeling like a dirtbag. And when the inner little kid is mopey, what's going to perk him up more than one of his favorite meals?
I agree about being on the OTHER side of the shower - but getting --> TO --> the shower is a real bitch for a lot of people, you know?? Like, a lot.
I've literally never thought about cooking like that. Something to consider.
as long as you're buying
On second thought, can I afford this? haha

HumanExMachina

Swills Soup
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I agree about being on the OTHER side of the shower - but getting --> TO --> the shower is a real bitch for a lot of people, you know?? Like, a lot.
What happens with me is the more I sit and think about it, the bigger the mental roadblock gets, until it's the goddamm Himalayas. So I've learned to not give the inner dialogue a chance to get started and talk me out of whatever it is I should be doing. The thought, 'A shower would be nice' pops into my head and I get up and go do it, cutting off the inevitable inner debate.
I've literally never thought about cooking like that. Something to consider.
It's fun, it's positive, something nice to look forward to, and when you're done, you get the reward of eating it.

1. Going for walks or runs at the park.
2. Listening to a new music album I’ve never heard before.
3. Chatting on the phone with a close friend.
4. Baking/cooking new meals I’ve never tried before.
5. Painting.
6. Napping!

Usually, taking my mind off it with games or tv, or talking to a friend. When it gets too much, somewhat counter-intuitively, i just roll with it now. I cry, rage, listen to punk thrash, or depressing jazz. Eventually it gets to a point something switches off in my brain, and i usually just curl up in a ball with some music or in total silence. Then about 20 minutes - 1 hour later i reboot and i feel better somehow. It's an odd technique and i'm not sure when i gained the ability to do that. Before that, my episodes could last for weeks.

Petal

SF dreamer
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Talking. Simply just talking and letting everything all out to someone close to you especially when you know they care about you even if only a bit.

Meditation playing in the background of whatever you happen to be doing.

Doing something nice for yourself such as getting your hair done or pampering yourself :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$455.00
Goal
$255.00