Work Write Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning05

Last week I was having a really bad depressive episode with debilitating anxiety to the point where I was making myself physically ill. I talked to my supervisor and manager about it and I took the last 3 work days off. I thought that was it.

I went to work yesterday and everything was fine. Today I was called into my manager's office and was written up forn"excessive absenteeism". WHAT THE FUCK. I told them I was having a family emergency and they approved the time off. And now I'm written up for it?!

I'm so pissed off and I don't know what to think. I feel like my job hates me. They're already planning to let me go after my training period is over. Prior to this I rarely missed any days. Over the course of a year and a half I've even gotten exceptional reviews from my supervisor and have been taking on a lot of the work load when my supervisor and coworker are called away. Every Monday I am at work by myself holding it down.

AM I NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE AN EMERGENCY?! I even told them about it! And they approved it!!! I just feel like this is utter bullshit. Now apparently I am "on the radar" and if I miss any more days will be written up again. I don't know what to do. I was feeling better but this has brought me back down.

Frustrated and angry as hell.

Inastorm

Totally feel what you're describing. What ive learnt from my own work experience is its important to keep yourself covered from employers, even if there giving you praise and you think its everything is going alright.

Its not going to help now but in future I would get things written down, make notes, with dates and times, if possible attend important meeting with another person.

If praised alot my a supervisor, ask him if he wouldn't mine putting it down on paper, just say you have a career folder and you like keeping personal performance reports to help you be a better employee.

If you ask for time off for an emergency, like in this case, send your boss an email straight away saying 'following our meeting about having x days off for a family emergency, I really appreciate your kind support in allowing me the time to help my love ones, my leaving date is x and I will return x.

Personally given your current job, it sounds your appreciated from higher management, they sound they do not have a clue how to manage, moviate and look after the welfare of their employees, think yourself lucky there giving you the opportunity to find a better job, where you will get the appropriation you deserve.

Inastorm

Sorry typo above, wish you had more than 10 mins to edit, takes me ages to write.

Should be 'it sounds like your NOT appreciated by higher management' in the last above sentence.

lightning05

@Inastorm thanks for responding. I actually do have a copy of the positive evaluation from my supervisor. But you are right, I should have gotten the approval documented so that I could at least dispute the write up.

This company definitely doesnt

lightning05

Value it's employees. I will now gladly leave after the training period is over. I've only been there for a short while but I can see that it is chaotic and the "lower" people are viewed as replaceable and this is not the kind of place I want to build a long lasting career at.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
If it has a high turnover rate that the chances that it is a good idea to leapfrog to a better company/team to work with and gain more skills to advance

lightning05

Thanks. Unfortunately due to the "specific-ness" (for lack of a better word) of this business and it's requirements for licensing I have to stay here until my time is up. Or else I won't be able to get licensed and school and everything else will be fot naught. So it's just dealing with the year and a half left I have with these assholes that is going to be the challenging part. If I this was just another job I'd find work somewhere else ASAP. But leaving now even though things are horrible would really delay my licensing and/or mess up my career path. Very sticky and shitty situation. Today was rough. Tried to stay positive but went in and left feeling like shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00