• You may receive an error message when sending PMs at the moment. The message you're trying to send has been sent and if you refresh your screen, you will see it. Otherwise you may get many repeated messages. We're working on this!

Borderline Personality Disorder | What is BPD? | Signs of BPD

Innocent Forever

Excellent forever
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I was annoyed with my GP when he said he thinks I've BPD. Because of a few reasons.
First, I don't fit 5 criteria anymore I don't think. I used to fit them all.
Second when I told him in the past he wasn't interested in listening because why would you want to stigmatise yourself.
I'm annoyed with him anyways because he isn't doing what he should but that hopefully I'll deal with. Get him to actually do something- not sure how - or to transfer me to a different gp.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I was annoyed with my GP when he said he thinks I've BPD. Because of a few reasons.
First, I don't fit 5 criteria anymore I don't think. I used to fit them all.
Second when I told him in the past he wasn't interested in listening because why would you want to stigmatise yourself.
I'm annoyed with him anyways because he isn't doing what he should but that hopefully I'll deal with. Get him to actually do something- not sure how - or to transfer me to a different gp.
Lol so when you told him you had it, he was all, "stop self-diagnosing and stigmatizing yourself". And now, when you say you don't think you qualify for a diagnosis anymore, he's like, "Nope, you still have it." Lol. Fucking doctors, man...

Innocent Forever

Excellent forever
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Lol so when you told him you had it, he was all, "stop self-diagnosing and stigmatizing yourself". And now, when you say you don't think you qualify for a diagnosis anymore, he's like, "Nope, you still have it." Lol. Fucking doctors, man...
Yup. Something like that.
I really don't live with it all the same way I did. I fit 3 or 4 criteria instead of all 9. If you want you can fit the rest of the criteria too, but I don't anymore than all my family. As in, not exactly healthy but it no longer impairs my life in the same way.
I've just been ranting about my dr anyways. I'm so annoyed and angry with him for not doing his job and now he's on leave and he hasn't put anything in my notes so I have no idea what he has or hasn't done and can't ask anyone else to see to anything for he may have actually, (which I doubt).

Innocent Forever

Excellent forever
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Nhs: symptoms of borderline personality disorder (BPD)
The symptoms of BPD can be grouped into 4 main areas:

• emotional instability – the psychological term for this is affective dysregulation
  • disturbed patterns of thinking or perception – cognitive distortions or perceptual distortions
  • impulsive behaviour
  • intense but unstable relationships with others
The symptoms of a personality disorder may range from mild to severe and usually emerge in adolescence, persisting into adulthood.

1 and 3 yes. 2 I've no clue about. 4 I don't think so.

extraterrestrialone

phoned home, no one answered
SF Supporter

• emotional instability – the psychological term for this is affective dysregulation
  • disturbed patterns of thinking or perception – cognitive distortions or perceptual distortions
  • impulsive behaviour
The symptoms of a personality disorder may range from mild to severe and usually emerge in adolescence, persisting into adulthood.

Around the time i joined SF i thought i was with BPD but that does not seem very accurate now. I dont think I’ve really changed but do consider that alternate diagnoses that I’ve received make more sense. I do think some of the above 4 still apply to me and I also consider some diagnoses that i’ve never received.

Inno, have you changed? or do you think you look at it differently now from earlier?

Innocent Forever

Excellent forever
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Around the time i joined SF i thought i was with BPD but that does not seem very accurate now. I dont think I’ve really changed but do consider that alternate diagnoses that I’ve received make more sense. I do think some of the above 4 still apply to me and I also consider some diagnoses that i’ve never received.

Inno, have you changed? or do you think you look at it differently now from earlier?
In some ways I've changed. In some ways not. Not as impulsive. Don't question my reality as much. Am sometimes able to notice and question my black and white thinking. Can live with contradiction- sometimes. Don't destroy all relationships....

Hi I'm new. 👋 I think i have bpd and I want to get diagnosed to put my own head at rest. Alot of people don't want a label but I do because then I can forgive myself for being the way I am. Does that make sense to anybody else? Last time I tried to get a diagnosis the doctor told me there was no point in diagnosis as there is no treatment and made me so angry and I went into one when I got home. I haven't tried again that was 2years ago. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach it. I also will absolutely not go back onto anti depressants they make me worse but the doctor at the time said I have to be on them for 2 years before diagnosis (another reason she said it was pointless) but I have been on and off pills since I was 17. Can someone please point me.in the right direction. I know I'm not right at all. I'm in the UK if that helps. Thanks in advance x

Innocent Forever

Excellent forever
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi I'm new. 👋 I think i have bpd and I want to get diagnosed to put my own head at rest. Alot of people don't want a label but I do because then I can forgive myself for being the way I am. Does that make sense to anybody else? Last time I tried to get a diagnosis the doctor told me there was no point in diagnosis as there is no treatment and made me so angry and I went into one when I got home. I haven't tried again that was 2years ago. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach it. I also will absolutely not go back onto anti depressants they make me worse but the doctor at the time said I have to be on them for 2 years before diagnosis (another reason she said it was pointless) but I have been on and off pills since I was 17. Can someone please point me.in the right direction. I know I'm not right at all. I'm in the UK if that helps. Thanks in advance x
You don't need to be on medication.
You can ask for a referral to a psychiatrist...

ShatteredMind

• impulsive behaviour

Number four i don't have , i have been married for 15 years been with my partner for 17 years now my partner is also my carer and yes we may fall out sometimes but it's normally because he cares, and we always make up before we go to bed . Normally its about keeping me safe and me being impulsive but he manages to calm me down, and we can talk about it with each other we always hug and make up after

how do you convince someone with BPD to seek therapy? i know someone that is hard to talk to because he gets set off/angry so easily and he has an extreme overreaction to tiny meaningless things.

Innocent Forever

Excellent forever
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
how do you convince someone with BPD to seek therapy? i know someone that is hard to talk to because he gets set off/angry so easily and he has an extreme overreaction to tiny meaningless things.
First you can't. You can go to therapy yourself to learn how to deal with it. Two just wondering if they have a diagnosis of BPD. Three. If it's someone you love you CAN talk to them about therapy such as hey, I love you and I feel like it would help our relationship if we both go to therapy because ... etc

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$125.00
Goal
$255.00