Borderline Personality Disorder | What is BPD? | Signs of BPD

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I was annoyed with my GP when he said he thinks I've BPD. Because of a few reasons.
First, I don't fit 5 criteria anymore I don't think. I used to fit them all.
Second when I told him in the past he wasn't interested in listening because why would you want to stigmatise yourself.
I'm annoyed with him anyways because he isn't doing what he should but that hopefully I'll deal with. Get him to actually do something- not sure how - or to transfer me to a different gp.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
I was annoyed with my GP when he said he thinks I've BPD. Because of a few reasons.
First, I don't fit 5 criteria anymore I don't think. I used to fit them all.
Second when I told him in the past he wasn't interested in listening because why would you want to stigmatise yourself.
I'm annoyed with him anyways because he isn't doing what he should but that hopefully I'll deal with. Get him to actually do something- not sure how - or to transfer me to a different gp.
Lol so when you told him you had it, he was all, "stop self-diagnosing and stigmatizing yourself". And now, when you say you don't think you qualify for a diagnosis anymore, he's like, "Nope, you still have it." Lol. Fucking doctors, man...

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Lol so when you told him you had it, he was all, "stop self-diagnosing and stigmatizing yourself". And now, when you say you don't think you qualify for a diagnosis anymore, he's like, "Nope, you still have it." Lol. Fucking doctors, man...
Yup. Something like that.
I really don't live with it all the same way I did. I fit 3 or 4 criteria instead of all 9. If you want you can fit the rest of the criteria too, but I don't anymore than all my family. As in, not exactly healthy but it no longer impairs my life in the same way.
I've just been ranting about my dr anyways. I'm so annoyed and angry with him for not doing his job and now he's on leave and he hasn't put anything in my notes so I have no idea what he has or hasn't done and can't ask anyone else to see to anything for he may have actually, (which I doubt).

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Nhs: symptoms of borderline personality disorder (BPD)
The symptoms of BPD can be grouped into 4 main areas:

• emotional instability – the psychological term for this is affective dysregulation
  • disturbed patterns of thinking or perception – cognitive distortions or perceptual distortions
  • impulsive behaviour
  • intense but unstable relationships with others
The symptoms of a personality disorder may range from mild to severe and usually emerge in adolescence, persisting into adulthood.

1 and 3 yes. 2 I've no clue about. 4 I don't think so.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter

• emotional instability – the psychological term for this is affective dysregulation
  • disturbed patterns of thinking or perception – cognitive distortions or perceptual distortions
  • impulsive behaviour
The symptoms of a personality disorder may range from mild to severe and usually emerge in adolescence, persisting into adulthood.

Around the time i joined SF i thought i was with BPD but that does not seem very accurate now. I dont think I’ve really changed but do consider that alternate diagnoses that I’ve received make more sense. I do think some of the above 4 still apply to me and I also consider some diagnoses that i’ve never received.

Inno, have you changed? or do you think you look at it differently now from earlier?

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Around the time i joined SF i thought i was with BPD but that does not seem very accurate now. I dont think I’ve really changed but do consider that alternate diagnoses that I’ve received make more sense. I do think some of the above 4 still apply to me and I also consider some diagnoses that i’ve never received.

Inno, have you changed? or do you think you look at it differently now from earlier?
In some ways I've changed. In some ways not. Not as impulsive. Don't question my reality as much. Am sometimes able to notice and question my black and white thinking. Can live with contradiction- sometimes. Don't destroy all relationships....

Hi I'm new. πŸ‘‹ I think i have bpd and I want to get diagnosed to put my own head at rest. Alot of people don't want a label but I do because then I can forgive myself for being the way I am. Does that make sense to anybody else? Last time I tried to get a diagnosis the doctor told me there was no point in diagnosis as there is no treatment and made me so angry and I went into one when I got home. I haven't tried again that was 2years ago. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach it. I also will absolutely not go back onto anti depressants they make me worse but the doctor at the time said I have to be on them for 2 years before diagnosis (another reason she said it was pointless) but I have been on and off pills since I was 17. Can someone please point me.in the right direction. I know I'm not right at all. I'm in the UK if that helps. Thanks in advance x

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi I'm new. πŸ‘‹ I think i have bpd and I want to get diagnosed to put my own head at rest. Alot of people don't want a label but I do because then I can forgive myself for being the way I am. Does that make sense to anybody else? Last time I tried to get a diagnosis the doctor told me there was no point in diagnosis as there is no treatment and made me so angry and I went into one when I got home. I haven't tried again that was 2years ago. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach it. I also will absolutely not go back onto anti depressants they make me worse but the doctor at the time said I have to be on them for 2 years before diagnosis (another reason she said it was pointless) but I have been on and off pills since I was 17. Can someone please point me.in the right direction. I know I'm not right at all. I'm in the UK if that helps. Thanks in advance x
You don't need to be on medication.
You can ask for a referral to a psychiatrist...

ShatteredMind

π•Έπ–”π–“π–˜π–™π–Šπ–—π–˜ π–œπ–Žπ–™π–π–Žπ–“

• impulsive behaviour

Number four i don't have , i have been married for 15 years been with my partner for 17 years now my partner is also my carer and yes we may fall out sometimes but it's normally because he cares, and we always make up before we go to bed . Normally its about keeping me safe and me being impulsive but he manages to calm me down, and we can talk about it with each other we always hug and make up after

how do you convince someone with BPD to seek therapy? i know someone that is hard to talk to because he gets set off/angry so easily and he has an extreme overreaction to tiny meaningless things.

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
how do you convince someone with BPD to seek therapy? i know someone that is hard to talk to because he gets set off/angry so easily and he has an extreme overreaction to tiny meaningless things.
First you can't. You can go to therapy yourself to learn how to deal with it. Two just wondering if they have a diagnosis of BPD. Three. If it's someone you love you CAN talk to them about therapy such as hey, I love you and I feel like it would help our relationship if we both go to therapy because ... etc

So so tired

Hi. *hiya

I've read the information at the beginning of this thread and am concerned.
I've had depression only since my husband died and my son was snatched off me.
So off course I've suffered great trauma which continues to effect me.
I can however relate to most if not all of the symptoms :(
Mood swings are very bad atm and perhaps the worst symptom.
I've been tested for this before but Dr did not diagnose me with it.
Could the symptoms of bpd not mirror those of pure depression only?
If you suffer depression, then surely, suicidal ideation, spending sprees and mood swings would be experienced.
If you had loose plans to die, you wouldn't care about spending money bc you can't take it with you anyway.
I know that people's experience of bpd will differ individualy but how do you feel?
Thankyou

So so tired *brohug

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
Hi. *hiya

I've read the information at the beginning of this thread and am concerned.
I've had depression only since my husband died and my son was snatched off me.
So off course I've suffered great trauma which continues to effect me.
I can however relate to most if not all of the symptoms :(
Mood swings are very bad atm and perhaps the worst symptom.
I've been tested for this before but Dr did not diagnose me with it.
Could the symptoms of bpd not mirror those of pure depression only?
If you suffer depression, then surely, suicidal ideation, spending sprees and mood swings would be experienced.
If you had loose plans to die, you wouldn't care about spending money bc you can't take it with you anyway.
I know that people's experience of bpd will differ individualy but how do you feel?
Thankyou

So so tired *brohug
The answer to get rid of mood swings is to rejoice. The symptoms of BPD do not mirror depression.

The answer is no.

Fact.

Astrid78

that's what he thinks
I was diagnosed with BPD 18 years ago, but there have been a lot of discrepancies as the NHS doctors say one thing, while private psychologists and therapists say my symptoms are closer to C-PTSD. I have a constant state of anxiety, catastrophising, and back to having suicide ideation. Do others have this issue that one is mistaken for the other?
Yup. At age 15 I was diagnosed with ptsd, at age 19 I was diagnosed with bpd. I was never treated for ptsd until a few short yrs ago. The bpd diagnosis has been taken off and the focus is now on ptsd and dysthymia. I've had better results from the private therapists over state run clinics.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
i will express my own opinion on this subject because i have strong feelings beliefs on the subject. i know there are many who may not agree with me and i do have my own experience to go by with all its difficulties and with successes.

i have been given diagnoses way over what should be the limit! BPD, PTSD with and without the prefixes. ASPD, narcisism, avoidant etc etc (and not, incidentally the one i know for sure i have, which is a condition that falls within the spectrum of dissociation that is mistakenly called DID and or OSDD).

to excuse themselves the doctors and therapists have called me difficult to diagnose. i think everyone is difficult to diagnose personally and with so many overlaps in these diagnoses it stands to reason anyone can be called one or the other or both or more at one time or another and so on. (and just btw/fyi and still deeply in my own personal opinion, most of these are not illness or disorders but true coping mechanisms discovered by infants, babies, young kids thrust into a hostile world where they are treated as someone else's play thing or just left to their own devices etc. i think these so called behaviors should be celebrated first and then the helpers (doctors/therapists and the like) should help not diagnose.

i came to SF 6 something years ago and for the past ten i've struggled with multiple diagnoses that served to confuse me and my helpers for most of the time. but this is a world we live in that is ruled by drug companies, insurance companies (that have no right or reason to be tampering with how people are healing. my opinion is that drugs should be a last choice in treatment and should not be a humungus money maker for the wealthy. as for insurance companies, they are simply criminal and only belong in prison until someone figures out how to treat such more humanely. I APOLOGIZE FOR BEING SO OPINIONATED.

I DO WANT TO RECOGNIZE THAT THERE ARE MANY HERE AND ELSEWHERE WHO HAVE BENEFITED MENTAL HEALTHWISE WITHIN THE PRESENT HEALTHCARE STRUCTURE WE LIVE WITH. I JUST BELIEVE THERE ARE MUCH BETTER WAYS.

getting back to your question though, anxiety is a hard thing to avoid in this world. it is a stressful place. even the doctors have anxiety. catastrophizing also is most definitely a thing and there are many with matters of the mind who get caught up in it. me too! and i don't think that that is indicative of one particular diagnosis. Remember, there is much overlap in diagnoses. and doctors/therapists (as i coincidentally was just discussing with my therapist yesterday) are legally bound to use specific diagnoses by law and insurance in order to be paid. making sure they get paid is a determining factor and straying away from what is written in the DSM book or other places is considered a legal No No.

I suggest that anyone in therapy has as best they can to have honest discussions with their therapist/doctor so that all the patien/client's issues can be openly addressed as they relate to the provider's real beliefs/opinions vs the legal and insurance requirements. that way, the way can be more effectively navigated and the patient can do much more work on their own, figuring things out.

i'm sorry if i'm being abrasive or closed minded in my attempt to be open minded. but i can't help basing this on my own experience and this is what i've come up with. i am now confident that i've made appropriate discoveries about myself. i've been self harm free for 2 years. i've made major changes in my life in just the past several months, i have friends in my life when once i had none. and i've felt happiness being alive. best, i believe in me. i hope i've helped. but please, listen to everyone here. they have true hearts and great experience and they care. i just got to be one of the first right now to try to answer your question.

best
πŸ‘½

Last edited:
Yup. At age 15 I was diagnosed with ptsd, at age 19 I was diagnosed with bpd. I was never treated for ptsd until a few short yrs ago. The bpd diagnosis has been taken off and the focus is now on ptsd and dysthymia. I've had better results from the private therapists over state run clinics.
I definitely feel the same with private clinics.

i will express my own opinion on this subject because i have strong feelings beliefs on the subject. i know there are many who may not agree with me and i do have my own experience to go by with all its difficulties and with successes.

i have been given diagnoses way over what should be the limit! BPD, PTSD with and without the prefixes. ASPD, narcisism, avoidant etc etc (and not, incidentally the one i know for sure i have, which is a condition that falls within the spectrum of dissociation that is mistakenly called DID and or OSDD).

to excuse themselves the doctors and therapists have called me difficult to diagnose. i think everyone is difficult to diagnose personally and with so many overlaps in these diagnoses it stands to reason anyone can be called one or the other or both or more at one time or another and so on. (and just btw/fyi and still deeply in my own personal opinion, most of these are not illness or disorders but true coping mechanisms discovered by infants, babies, young kids thrust into a hostile world where they are treated as someone else's play thing or just left to their own devices etc. i think these so called behaviors should be celebrated first and then the helpers (doctors/therapists and the like) should help not diagnose.

i came to SF 6 something years ago and for the past ten i've struggled with multiple diagnoses that served to confuse me and my helpers for most of the time. but this is a world we live in that is ruled by drug companies, insurance companies (that have no right or reason to be tampering with how people are healing. my opinion is that drugs should be a last choice in treatment and should not be a humungus money maker for the wealthy. as for insurance companies, they are simply criminal and only belong in prison until someone figures out how to treat such more humanely. I APOLOGIZE FOR BEING SO OPINIONATED.

I DO WANT TO RECOGNIZE THAT THERE ARE MANY HERE AND ELSEWHERE WHO HAVE BENEFITED MENTAL HEALTHWISE WITHIN THE PRESENT HEALTHCARE STRUCTURE WE LIVE WITH. I JUST BELIEVE THERE ARE MUCH BETTER WAYS.

getting back to your question though, anxiety is a hard thing to avoid in this world. it is a stressful place. even the doctors have anxiety. catastrophizing also is most definitely a thing and there are many with matters of the mind who get caught up in it. me too! and i don't think that that is indicative of one particular diagnosis. Remember, there is much overlap in diagnoses. and doctors/therapists (as i coincidentally was just discussing with my therapist yesterday) are legally bound to use specific diagnoses by law and insurance in order to be paid. making sure they get paid is a determining factor and straying away from what is written in the DSM book or other places is considered a legal No No.

I suggest that anyone in therapy has as best they can to have honest discussions with their therapist/doctor so that all the patien/client's issues can be openly addressed as they relate to the provider's real beliefs/opinions vs the legal and insurance requirements. that way the way can be more effectively navigated and the patient can do much more work on their own figuring things out.

i'm sorry if i'm being abrasive or closed minded in my attempt to be open minded. but i can't help basing this on my own experience and this is what i've come up with. i am now confident that i've made appropriate discoveries about myself. i've been self harm free for 2 years. i've made major changes in my life in just the past several months, i have friends in my life when once i had none. and i've felt happiness being alive. best, i believe in me. i hope i've helped. but please, listen to everyone here. they have true hearts and great experience and they care. i just got to be one of the first rn to try to answer your question.

best
πŸ‘½
I totally get it, my therapist said the same thing. The diagnosis is more for doctors than for the patient. A collection of symptoms to try and understand how to treat it. Unfortunately, they still have so much learning to do with mental health and have to stop treating it like a physical ailment that needs a one-size-fits-all approach.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00