• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Food as medicine, and why, some are vegetarians

Myaing

. . . ☯ . . .
I found my old notes from the times when I was healthy. Its a list of foods and the minerals, vitamins they contain.

Magnesium: Brown rice, beans, oatmeal, bananas, leafy greens, peanuts

Phosphorus: Peas, lentils, avocado, spinach, vegetables in general

Potassium: Raisins, bananas, kiwi, oranges, dried fruit

Zinc: Pumpkin seeds, corn, most types of whole grain, lentils, peas, spinach, sunflower seeds

Iron: Most leafy greens, beans, lentils, nuts, bananas, coca powder, flax seeds, hemp, most seeds

Selenium: Most seeds(mustard, sesame, chia, sunflower, pumpkin, etc ), asparagus

Calcium: Beans, lentils, flax seeds, kale, zucchini, spinach, sesame seeds, leafy greens, dried fruits

B1,B3: Brown rice, Green vegetables and leafy greens (Everything green)

B6: nuts, soybeans, walnuts, bananas, watermelon

B12: Possibly in plant based drinks (Soy milk, almond milk, etc.)

Folic acid: lentils, oranges, asparagus, whole grain stuff

Vitamin C: Green tea, black currant, thyme, parsley, kale, broccoli, lemon, yellow pepper

Vitamin D: egg yolks, mushrooms, soy milk, sunbathing, and supplements

Vitamin E:sunflower seeds, nuts, spinach, whole grains

Vitamin K: kale, parsley, cauliflower, green tea, tomatoes

Vitamin A: soy beans, broccoli, kale, dried plums, carrots

High in protein(in 100 g): peanuts (23 g),peas(8 - 10 g),red beans(21 g), lentils(12 g), pumpkin seeds(25 g), buckwheat(12 g), sesame seeds (17 g). The protein in most meats varies from 17-25 grams per 100 grams.

Healthy fats: Olive oil (and other cold pressed oils), Avocado, dark chocolate, coca powder, all nuts, coconuts

To someone who is considering going vegan or vegetarian:
I researched this for my dad to show him that meat is not essential for survival. Its a free choice, I had made mine. If anyone is interested in going off animal based products, it is interesting to keep in mind:
@The protein and minerals we get from meat are "secondhand". The cow gets its protein from eating - plants - and uses that protein to sustain itself. The protein is already used.

@Then, in the process of cooking the nutritional value gets burned away. Cooking destroys not only parasites and bacteria but also everything else in it.

@And of course, it is no surprise now that everything is made out of energy. This energy can,does affect you. In the process of slaughter the animal feels intense fear. It fills its molecules with low vibration energy, and it stays there.

And that is meat. If you are what you put into yourself, there is no wonder people are depressed. I wont even mention how immoral it is to enslave animals for food. It's insane.
I was vegan for tree years, and it was awesome. I recently went back to meat, and not only my body reeks, I need to use seas of deodorant, but also my mood is completely different. I going back to vegan for sure.

Myaing

. . . ☯ . . .
Just curious, can I ask why? Was it because it was hard being vegan for you, like to find food when you go out, etc. ? No judgements whatsoever from me, no worries ;)
Nah, i just got really depressed, and stopped caring about myself. Even now when I eat meat, I find it not good, but sometimes there is just nothing else, like when I'm visiting my parents, or I'm really drunk and need to eat something.

extraterrestrialone

hi, guess who... its me...
SF Supporter
I found my old notes from the times when I was healthy. Its a list of foods and the minerals, vitamins they contain.

Magnesium: Brown rice, beans, oatmeal, bananas, leafy greens, peanuts

Phosphorus: Peas, lentils, avocado, spinach, vegetables in general

Potassium: Raisins, bananas, kiwi, oranges, dried fruit

Zinc: Pumpkin seeds, corn, most types of whole grain, lentils, peas, spinach, sunflower seeds

Iron: Most leafy greens, beans, lentils, nuts, bananas, coca powder, flax seeds, hemp, most seeds

Selenium: Most seeds(mustard, sesame, chia, sunflower, pumpkin, etc ), asparagus

Calcium: Beans, lentils, flax seeds, kale, zucchini, spinach, sesame seeds, leafy greens, dried fruits

B1,B3: Brown rice, Green vegetables and leafy greens (Everything green)

B6: nuts, soybeans, walnuts, bananas, watermelon

B12: Possibly in plant based drinks (Soy milk, almond milk, etc.)

Folic acid: lentils, oranges, asparagus, whole grain stuff

Vitamin C: Green tea, black currant, thyme, parsley, kale, broccoli, lemon, yellow pepper

Vitamin D: egg yolks, mushrooms, soy milk, sunbathing, and supplements

Vitamin E:sunflower seeds, nuts, spinach, whole grains

Vitamin K: kale, parsley, cauliflower, green tea, tomatoes

Vitamin A: soy beans, broccoli, kale, dried plums, carrots

High in protein(in 100 g): peanuts (23 g),peas(8 - 10 g),red beans(21 g), lentils(12 g), pumpkin seeds(25 g), buckwheat(12 g), sesame seeds (17 g). The protein in most meats varies from 17-25 grams per 100 grams.

Healthy fats: Olive oil (and other cold pressed oils), Avocado, dark chocolate, coca powder, all nuts, coconuts

To someone who is considering going vegan or vegetarian:
I researched this for my dad to show him that meat is not essential for survival. Its a free choice, I had made mine. If anyone is interested in going off animal based products, it is interesting to keep in mind:
@The protein and minerals we get from meat are "secondhand". The cow gets its protein from eating - plants - and uses that protein to sustain itself. The protein is already used.

@Then, in the process of cooking the nutritional value gets burned away. Cooking destroys not only parasites and bacteria but also everything else in it.

@And of course, it is no surprise now that everything is made out of energy. This energy can,does affect you. In the process of slaughter the animal feels intense fear. It fills its molecules with low vibration energy, and it stays there.

And that is meat. If you are what you put into yourself, there is no wonder people are depressed. I wont even mention how immoral it is to enslave animals for food. It's insane.
I was vegan for tree years, and it was awesome. I recently went back to meat, and not only my body reeks, I need to use seas of deodorant, but also my mood is completely different. I going back to vegan for sure.
i have beliefs and feelings and physicalities that are very important to me. i want to express them here and i hope you do not find them offensive or mean. i do respect anyone who finds a way to be that works for them and adheres to it. and i do understand the value of certain types of foods and why they may be better than others.

for me, i was brought up on meat and i think that is so ingrained that i would always miss it greatly if i gave it up. that is one thing. i also love fruits and vegetables but many lately - i guess because i’m getting old and deteriorating - get chewed up but stuck between my teeth and cheeks and stays there and feels so uncomfortable and i cant just go and stick my finger in my mouth especially at work after lunch so i need ot go to a private place and that becomes an ordeal and i am still stuck with lingering debris in the mouth. maybe without this problem i would be more inclined to eat vegetables only. the worst offenders are nuts and carrots and coconut.

but getting back to meats, i realize about the cruelty aspect to this and what i am about to say may seem crazy but i do believe it, i believe that vegetation has feelings too and does not want to be eaten either. and with that belief i’ve adoped the philosophy that if you want to eat, prepare to be eaten. ironically i live with a “demon” living inside me (demon is for lack of a better description). and this demon that i call hijacker tells me that i am its food. it thrives on my suffering. my suffering often is self harm. that is how i came to be on SF. hijacker always tells me what a hypocrite i am when it comes to food. i eat life and need to. hijacker claims that it is life too - just very different from me - and it needs food too. i am its food. i am its farm and kitchen too. it acquired me and eats. that puts a whole new aspect into the meat vs vegetable controversy where i cannot justify eating yet don’t want to be eaten either. reading this, it does sound like some kind of a bad joke and i wish my life was some kind of a joke but i live this way and don’t really like it.

but what it does illustrate to me is that here we are spinning around on a planet. we don’t know why we are here and we don’t know where or if we are going - anywhere. and we need to live yet life lives on life. life needs to consume other life to live.

we do have great brains that may be of a level that we can figure out how to deal with this and being vegan or whatever may be a step in this direction but some things are ingrained and not easily parted from. yet (and i did see it mentioned here on this site the other day) food needs to be created out of non life in the lab. but then again, maybe earth is just that sort of lab. i don’t know if there is a satisfactory solution. but maybe there is. i hope you are ok with this comment. it is my true beliefs thoughts and feelings and why i am here.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
life lives on life. life needs to consume other life to live.
Yep, that's how life evolved on this planet. Eating itself. Everything lives so that it can die and feed other living things, in one way or another, directly or indirectly. It's like respiration and the carbon/oxygen cycle. In order to breathe in, all living things require others to breathe out.
The simple act of eating doesn't make anyone virtuous or villainous. Like all living things, we were born at a banquet table, called Earth, where we eat and then in the fullness of time, end up on the menu ourselves. Relax and enjoy the feast. Bon appetit.

extraterrestrialone

hi, guess who... its me...
SF Supporter
my apologies to all for my comment above. i did not think it would be taken as debate. but in my own way interest in the thread’s information. if possible please delete what i said. i think @Myaing has posted some interesting and valuable information which i would not like stifled by my comments. chances are my beliefs are mine alone and should not hinder this thread.

Auri

🎸🎼Rock Star🎼🎸
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
my apologies to all for my comment above. i did not think it would be taken as debate. but in my own way interest in the thread’s information. if possible please delete what i said. i think @Myaing has posted some interesting and valuable information which i would not like stifled by my comments. chances are my beliefs are mine alone and should not hinder this thread.
Oh don't worry. All posts involved an opinion, while I think the focus of this thread should have been the information only ;)

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
You didn't do anything wrong, Extra, don't worry about it*hug

Myaing

. . . ☯ . . .
@extraterrestrialone It's cool that you are thinking about it, to this level. I have thought about the same thing. Everything eats everything. I don't know much either about this planet or the universe but form observation, we see that there is this power of existence and entropy. The idea that plants too should no be eaten, does sound crazy. But then again, who knows? If it's really possible, the human as a being is not that evolved to live on sunlight. We are not there yet.
You can look at this way. There is the human, the animal, and the plant world. Each of these have different levels of consciousness. I do believe the plants are alive, but they experience life on earth differently, than an animal would, same as an animal experiences life a bit different than a human would.
Its okay, we are all confused about this life. I really wish your demon would leave you alone. Because he is not right. We should not feel guilty for living. I wish you strength, friend

Myaing

. . . ☯ . . .
I really like that you shared how u feel. No worries *hug

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Different points in my life I have encountered people with different diet intake and beliefs. Everyone seemed healthy on the outside and everyone had their way of surviving and enjoying food their way.

Your post comes in a crucial time when people are bringing up climate change and how certain meat is now off/banned in some places menu due to its contribution to the global warming crisis. I am trying to expand my menu with more vegan/vegetarian choices and try to see it as my contribution to less carbon footprint on this planet.

Something to think about for all of us. Not restricting and saying no. Just less meat and more plant matter makes a huge difference. Why not try one non-meat meal a week? Its easy peasy and a fun way to expand your menus.

Not here to argue how immoral it is in the animal industry there are many ethical ways to deal with it. Just saying todays industry is evolving for the better. It makes me pick farm fresh eggs from the local farmer, the pasture raised beef from the local farmer. Cheese from the local cheesemaker. People have those choices around here.

Last edited:

Myaing

. . . ☯ . . .
Different points in my life I have encountered people with different diet intake and beliefs. Everyone seemed healthy on the outside and everyone had their way of surviving and enjoying food their way.

Your post comes in a crucial time when people are bringing up climate change and how certain meat is now off/banned in some places menu due to its contribution to the global warming crisis. I am trying to expand my menu with more vegan/vegetarian choices and try to see it as my contribution to less carbon footprint on this planet.

Something to think about for all of us. Not restricting and saying no. Just less meat and more plant matter makes a huge difference. Why not try one non-meat meal a week? Its easy peasy and a fun way to expand your menus.

Not here to argue how immoral it is in the animal industry there are many ethical ways to deal with it. Just saying todays industry is evolving for the better. It makes me pick farm fresh eggs from the local farmer, the pasture raised beef from the local farmer. Cheese from the local cheesemaker. People have those choices around here.
Of course, buying from local farmers is a great idea. It's healthy for u and supports people who put care in what they do. It's sad that some organizations actually want to forbid local farming. Its really heart braking, that someone could wish unemployment onto others, and deprive their people of healthy alternatives. And it goes deeper than that. ,
Its great that you are making these choices. Always happy to hear these things :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$185.00
Goal
$255.00