Jim's Cafe - 28th February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
coollogo_com-90931318.png

Once again, I am seeing a ponderous lack of Cafe for today, so here it is, Jim's Cafe back again. It would be great to see more people putting these up, it doesnt have to be big, it doesnt have to be themed, and it doesnt have to have graphics created on some website I found online, it doesnt seen fun facts and it doesnt even need questions, just a conversation starter, something to get people talking :)

So, I didnt like todays themes on Days of the Year so I am going rogue once again and have prepared you 3 tables to choose from for your pleasure in todays Cafe, and as always you are encouraged to swap tables if you like after you have had your fill. But First:

Fun Facts
1) The Vinegar you get in Fish and Chip shops is almost always NOT vinegar. It is a mixture of water, ethanoic acid and various additives to make it look and taste as similar as possible, but ends up being much cheaper to make.
2) Vinegar isn't the only fake, supermarket Wasabi is made from Horseradish, and over in the USA over 30% of restaurants selling "Lobster" just use Langustino or White Fish instead (which is cheaper) and some pre-grated parmesan cheese even contains pulped wood as a bulking agent! (essentially like cutting drugs with cheaper substances to make it go further).
3) Nutmeg is a hallucinogen if taken in large enough doses. which reminds me I need to buy a LOT Of nutmeg for... unrelated reasons...
4) Farmed salmon is dyed pink. Wild salmon turns pink because of all the shrimp in their diet, but farmed salmon aren't fed shrimp, so to keep the colour they are fed plant pigments to make up the difference, otherwise it would be white.

Food Table
So, as you probably guessed from the fun facts, we will he having a food table with all kinds of questions about food, pictures and mouth-watering descriptions are encouraged.
1) What is your favourite food
2) What is your LEAST favourite food
3) What food reminds you of better times
4) Do you know and love any good that most people probably haven't tried
5) Do you know any great places to eat?
6) Tell us something we dont know about food or drink

Eclectic Table
This table is more random and is filled with just whatever questions came to mind at the time. Enjoy.
1) What super power would you chose if you could
2) If you could learn a single new skill to perfection in one night, what would you learn.
3) What language have you always wanted to learn and why
4) Tell us a happy memory
5) Tell us something we dont know.

Recruitment Table
This is the table where SOMEONE can volunteer to do tomorrow's Jim's Cafe, just speak up in bold big and colourful letters "I volunteer" that way we know someone will have it covered tomorrow :D (Please check to see if anyone else has volunteered before doing so, we love Jim's Cafe, but multiple cafes on a single day would be problematic I think.)

Tags
@Aurelia @FlamingoWrangler @HappyKitty @johnDoen @Kiwi2016 @cymbele @extraterrestrialone @Sunday16

Ineluki

The Storm King
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Thanks for starting the cafe, Dante! *hug

1) This winter, my favorite foods have been comfort foods. Especially, Chicken a la King, which I know that @Lux just absolutely loves on toast

2) I don't know if I have a least favorite food. If I had to pick one I would say liver I guess. It's not really healthy to eat anyway.

3) Pizza reminds me of better times. Hanging out with college buddies and ordering a pizza because the dorm food sucked that night lol

4) I am not very adventurous with food. I am not sure I have any special dishes that I eat that other people don't know about. Except for Hatch Green Chilis from New Mexico, but that is more of an ingredient I guess.

5) I was just talking about The Blind Onion pizza pubs in chat. They are in Northern Oregon and Southwest Washington! :)

6) I just learned today that the Coney Island Hot Dog originated with Greek/Macedonian immigrants! I just figured it was something developed at the amusement park. The hot dogs were there at the park, but adding the chili, cheese and onions were the idea of the Greeks apparently!

OfLoveAndDeath

Of ❤️ and ☠️
Nutmeg is a hallucinogen if taken in large enough doses.
Interesting... ;)
Idk, mint chocolate maybe. Pretty much most sweet foods really.

I guess you could technically say meat, not because I don't like it, I just refuse to eat it anymore.

Probably not, the closest thing is probably black liquorice. I don't love it, but i like it on occasion, which is a lot more than most people.

Shape-shifting is the best one because it's pretty much any power.

2) If you could learn a single new skill to perfection in one night, what would you learn.
Probably speaking fluent French I guess. And to answer the next question while I'm at it, it's just a very elegant language.

Asking a bit much of me here

Well I don't know what you do and don't know ;)

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
1) What is your favourite food...I can't pick just one lol. Pizza, tacos, chocolate, and Chinese food are a few.
2) What is your LEAST favourite food...Probably liver.
3) What food reminds you of better times...Home made meals
4) Do you know and love any good that most people probably haven't tried...Not sure
5) Do you know any great places to eat? Chinese buffet :P
6) Tell us something we dont know about food or drink...Vanilla extract was once flavored with something from a beaver's anal glands.

1) What super power would you chose if you could...Teleportation
2) If you could learn a single new skill to perfection in one night, what would you learn. To know every language
3) What language have you always wanted to learn and why...ALl of them :D
4) Tell us a happy memory...Spending time with people I care about.
5) Tell us something we dont know. Not sure, I'm boring :D

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
View attachment 43173

Once again, I am seeing a ponderous lack of Cafe for today, so here it is, Jim's Cafe back again. It would be great to see more people putting these up, it doesnt have to be big, it doesnt have to be themed, and it doesnt have to have graphics created on some website I found online, it doesnt seen fun facts and it doesnt even need questions, just a conversation starter, something to get people talking :)

So, I didnt like todays themes on Days of the Year so I am going rogue once again and have prepared you 3 tables to choose from for your pleasure in todays Cafe, and as always you are encouraged to swap tables if you like after you have had your fill. But First:

Fun Facts
1) The Vinegar you get in Fish and Chip shops is almost always NOT vinegar. It is a mixture of water, ethanoic acid and various additives to make it look and taste as similar as possible, but ends up being much cheaper to make.
2) Vinegar isn't the only fake, supermarket Wasabi is made from Horseradish, and over in the USA over 30% of restaurants selling "Lobster" just use Langustino or White Fish instead (which is cheaper) and some pre-grated parmesan cheese even contains pulped wood as a bulking agent! (essentially like cutting drugs with cheaper substances to make it go further).
3) Nutmeg is a hallucinogen if taken in large enough doses. which reminds me I need to buy a LOT Of nutmeg for... unrelated reasons...
4) Farmed salmon is dyed pink. Wild salmon turns pink because of all the shrimp in their diet, but farmed salmon aren't fed shrimp, so to keep the colour they are fed plant pigments to make up the difference, otherwise it would be white.

Food Table
So, as you probably guessed from the fun facts, we will he having a food table with all kinds of questions about food, pictures and mouth-watering descriptions are encouraged.

Eclectic Table
This table is more random and is filled with just whatever questions came to mind at the time. Enjoy.

Recruitment Table
This is the table where SOMEONE can volunteer to do tomorrow's Jim's Cafe, just speak up in bold big and colourful letters "I volunteer" that way we know someone will have it covered tomorrow :D (Please check to see if anyone else has volunteered before doing so, we love Jim's Cafe, but multiple cafes on a single day would be problematic I think.)

Tags
@Aurelia @FlamingoWrangler @HappyKitty @johnDoen @Kiwi2016 @cymbele @extraterrestrialone @Sunday16
Second! I think so.

Food, aka. lamb sauce

What is your favourite food?

- I don't have an English word for it. Well, it's called "mì Quảng". Here is a picture (searched online because I'm not having any right now) and a Wikipedia link for the dish (link).
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

What is your LEAST favourite food?

- Anything like pickles.

What food reminds you of better times?

- Mì Quảng. It reminds me of when I was less suicidal and tourism was booming.

Do you know and love any good that most people probably haven't tried?
- Mì Quảng. Vietnamese food is not just phở (pho) and bánh mì (banh mi). The dish I mentioned is not quite as popular, even among the locals.

Do you know any great places to eat?
- Street vendors, like hot dog stands or food trucks.

Tell us something we dont know about food or drink
- No one is certain about the origin of pho. It may be derived from Yunnan and/or Guangdong immigrants, when they arrived to Vietnam by 17th or 18th century, and/or from a French dish "pot au feu" during the colonial era. Maybe, it's just a combination of all that.

Ec le what? First time seeing this word

What super power would you chose if you could?

- The charismatic power.

If you could learn a single new skill to perfection in one night, what would you learn?

- How to be confident.

What language have you always wanted to learn and why?

- Similar to the drawing things I mentioned in one of your Jim's Cafe threads, I need to get back with learning Japanese. It's something from high school.

Tell us a happy memory.
- I had a matcha latter few weeks ago. It was good.

Tell us something we dont know.

- I donated about $21.5 to my country's COVID-19 vaccine fund about 3 days ago.

Rekruitment

I volunteer to make a Jim's Cafe thread on 31st February.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter

Chicken fried steak.

Sardines.

Cornbread.

Poke sallet/pokeweed. Most won't try it because wrongly prepared it is toxic.

Not since the lockdown.

Frog legs twitch in the skillet when frying them.

To be able to live underwater and explore the deep.

Play the piano.

Mandarin. Just to learn.

Swimming in the lake down the road from where I live while young, just a big dirty swimming pool where you had to watch for cottonmouths and snapping turtles.

Carrots were originally purple in color.

Inya

babaya gayolera
Yay, a food table! Thanks Dante *bounce
I absolutely love food so I'll try to pick a few or the list will be way too long.
Grilled snapper, Salmon (only the wild one), Calamari, Zamburiñas, Octoppus,
Piglet on a spit, Pork ribs,
Entrecote,
Grilled chicken wings
Risotto, Pasta,
Eggplant, Zucchini,
Yogurt, chocolate cake, tiramisu,
Blue cheese...

Sauerkrout

There are no better times but some food reminds me of travelling.

Bull testicles, Pigs ears, Tripe, Frog legs, Snails, Beef brains, Steak tartare, Dandelion greens salad

There are so many but I really like the nearest restaurant and the cold cuts plate.

IMG_20210228_083932.jpg

Many plants and flowers we have in the garden are edible and tasty like Rose, Magnolia, Dahlia, Elderflower, Wild nettle...
Some of them are very toxic like Oleander, and some are halucinogenic like Brugmansia.

Actually nutmeg is hallucinogenic sort of if you boil it and extract the yellow oil that separates. It is a very odd drug. I took it once on a bet to disprove the idea that nutmeg is a drug. I lost the bet.
One time i tried to get high on nutmeg by just eating a ton of it, it worked, but it was incredibly unemployable and lasted for hours and hours lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00