Jim's Cafe - 8th January 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Well folks, I noticed no one has posted one of these in several days, so I'm afraid you all now have to suffer the consequences for this lapse and receive Jim's Cafe DANTE version!
1610068493248.png

Of course I will try to follow the format, first, some fun facts.
1) Did you know that Brigadier Sir Nils Olav III, the colonel-in-chief of the Norwegian Kings Guard is a penguin living in Edinburgh Zoo in Scotland? He is the 3rd such penguin to have been knighted and hold this position.
2) The University of Finland give out special top hats and swords to all PHD students for their graduation, which they then get to keep, they are considered a mark of their PHD as much as the actual certificate.
3) Many independent sources have agreed that looking at cute things releases stress and improves focus, here, have a tiny bunny picture
1610069332091.png
Feeling focused? Good, TIME FOR THE INTERROGATI..... *ahem*... Time for some happy questions for you all to answer in detail (or pick and choose if there are too many)

1) When was the last time you got one over on a boss or parent? (If you dont have such a story, it can be about beating any person who considered themselves above you)
2) What is your go-to "brag" story? The story you tell to impress people?
3) What is the nicest thing you ever did for someone that you dont normally tell people about?
4) What is your strangest hobby/interest?
5) Which is your favourite accent?
6) Which trend did you initially reject but ended up embracing later on?

and finally, to finish this off, Im not sure who to invite, so I shall copy paste EVERY INVITE FROM THE LAST 3 TRHEADS!!! 1610068493248.png (There may be some repeats)

@Bergerac @Shadowlands @Lane @pooky @JMG @Champagne @nobodyknows71 @Innocent Forever @Nick @Blue Star @BlueGreen @mpk @Waves @extraterrestrialone @Sunday16 @Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @Sunspots @Kira @Citizen Insane @MisterBGone @Sassy the Wonderful Cat @may71 @Lara_C @februaryfriday @Were all together @Rockclimbinggirl @Lady Wolfshead @Livelife @adamjam @KM76710 @Baywasp @foreverforgotten @sinking_ship @Road to Nowhere @RCee @Walker @1964dodge @JDot @PrincessPure @Kiwi2016 @MosesY @Auri @Human Ex Machinae @Freya @total eclipse @FlamingoWrangler @KindaOtiose @the.end.ish @Holding my breath @Harmony @Somebody Else @Froggie @Optimistic Goatman @HappyKitty @Ash600 @Jayjay289 @bubblebear @Dinolaur @SleepyOwl @Legate Lanius @StrangeRanger @Inya @cymbele @Bradamante @SillyOldBear @NotSoNormal @Lux

If I have left anyone out, please feel free to add them, or lock this thread, whichever comes more naturally :)

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
1) When was the last time you got one over on a boss or parent? (If you dont have such a story, it can be about beating any person who considered themselves above you).

Former coworker at a job I had about 15 years ago, she had been there 20 years I had been for maybe 2 and when she quit she claimed I was one of the reasons. I told her that other workers had been thanking me ever since. It was funny because other employees would come by and thank me for making the company a better place.

None so much for me but I don't open up to people too much.

3) What is the nicest thing you ever did for someone that you dont normally tell people about?

Decades ago when I was a teenager me and another person pulled three people out of a car that had crashed and had caught fire.

One that some find more unusual unless they are into boating and sailing is I know how to use a sextant.

All of them, but Australian is a favorite.

I actually got a cell phone, but it is just a trackphone flip phone.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
1. Gave myself a second hole in my ear bcz I didn't want to ask my mother. I almost fainted doing it myself.

2. Not sure, but I like to tell people I lived in a tropical area for 5 years bcz they are interested.

3. Moved a girl in my house away from abusive boyfriend.

4. I like miniatures, not so weird I dont think...like dollhouse stuff

5. African accents

6. Holes in jeans

FFurry

SF Supporter
1) When was the last time you got one over on a boss or parent? (If you dont have such a story, it can be about beating any person who considered themselves above you)
When the light turned red to stop the $#&*@ who decided to road rage and pass me dangerously even though I was going the speed limit.

I have almost 1,000 open tabs in my browser.

I return library books as soon as done, even though I can wait until the due date.

Breeding fungus to see what will grow with different kinds of starters.

English

Bitcoin

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hiya :) Thanks for the bunny, he is really cute and relaxing, purified my soul instantly.

I don't really have many interesting answers to those questions... but I love me some English speaker speaking French. So cute!

pooky

You are valuable
Thank you Dante for opening the cafe and for the invitation

1) I confronted my senior years ago at a job because he was blaming me for his motor bike problem
2) I can eat two people meal when I am hungry
3) I have taken a friend to doctors when they were unwell
4)collecting sea shells
5) North - east of India is a favourite
6) Online shopping

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
Thank you for opening, fun facts and the oh so cute bunny picture @Dante!

1) When was the last time you got one over on a boss or parent? (If you dont have such a story, it can be about beating any person who considered themselves above you)Hastial
Guess would be my high school college counselor telling my parents and myself not to get our hopes us too high for college applications...then getting into the school of my choice early decision

2) What is your go-to "brag" story? The story you tell to impress people?\
I don't really have any....but guess leaving job, selling all possessions to move across country to be with (didn't know at time if it would work) the man who has now been my husband for over 20 years and landing a job in my former career

Guess just random acts of kindness to people in need ---not so much buying food or giving money but in having a meaningful conversation with them

Having worked at a medical history museum....still fascinated by all things medically related

As one who believes I don't have an accent...admit I love them all

Cell phone which I resisted as an unnecessary "latest thing"...then of course embraced the idea of doing work while commuting...yup I was one of those with $400 cell phone bills...to now feel couldn't live without it...

Wishing all a fantastic Friday---We made it!!!

Tagging @begerac @Shadowlands @Were all together @Sunspots @Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @Waves @JMG @1964dodge @JMG @mpk @Ash600 @Nick @nobodyknows71 @Innocent Forever @Blue Star @BlueGreen @Sunday16 @februaryfriday @Ivy100 @MisterBGone @Lara_C @Citizen Insane

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Well folks, I noticed no one has posted one of these in several days, so I'm afraid you all now have to suffer the consequences for this lapse and receive Jim's Cafe DANTE version!
Hey, don’t worry Dante! just imagine if i started the café! ...talk about consequences...

anyway, good morning to you and to everyone.

i’ve been kind of yikesed-out in the past 48ish hours by the goings on in america and have not really been here on SF. i guess chaos was just gradually processing in my brain. now that things have settled i started to process some more - which specifically is that in response to the events, i was inspired to write a kind of short story reflecting my thoughts on the subject and then posted it on face book.

i thought at least one person would notice it but it was totally not responded to, which made me kind of sad. i know my writing abilities are at least adequate and the sentiment should have resonated with at least a few so i found that a touch disgruntling that there should be no reaction - good or bad.

so i thought i’d revert to my ptsd/bpd qualities and quit facebook but my positive affirmations said different. i checked things out and it is possible that i posted it in a way that was not visible so i deleted it and reposted it. anyway, a week is a much better way to see if anyone responds than to wait just a few hours and get upset. so you can see, i am learning how to keep myself happy. just thought i’d share this bit of positivity with everyone here.

i see you’ve asked some Qs. i do think these may be a bit difficult for me but i will give them some thought and give ‘em a try. i always enjoy trying to answer the café Qs. in the mean time, here is the 🌞🌞🌞 for you and everyone and i shouold be back with some answers soon 😊 .

Livelife

SF Supporter
View attachment 41859

1) Did you know that Brigadier Sir Nils Olav III, the colonel-in-chief of the Norwegian Kings Guard is a penguin living in Edinburgh Zoo in Scotland? He is the 3rd such penguin to have been knighted and hold this position.
2) The University of Finland give out special top hats and swords to all PHD students for their graduation, which they then get to keep, they are considered a mark of their PHD as much as the actual certificate.
3) Many independent sources have agreed that looking at cute things releases stress and improves focus, here, have a tiny bunny picture
View attachment 41860
Feeling focused? Good, TIME FOR THE INTERROGATI..... *ahem*... Time for some happy questions for you all to answer in detail (or pick and choose if there are too many)

and finally, to finish this off, Im not sure who to invite, so I shall copy paste EVERY INVITE FROM THE LAST 3 TRHEADS!!! View attachment 41859 (There may be some repeats)

@Bergerac @Shadowlands @Lane @pooky @JMG @Champagne @nobodyknows71 @Innocent Forever @Nick @Blue Star @BlueGreen @mpk @Waves @extraterrestrialone @Sunday16 @Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @Sunspots @Kira @Citizen Insane @MisterBGone @Sassy the Wonderful Cat @may71 @Lara_C @februaryfriday @Were all together @Rockclimbinggirl @Lady Wolfshead @Livelife @adamjam @KM76710 @Baywasp @foreverforgotten @sinking_ship @Road to Nowhere @RCee @Walker @1964dodge @JDot @PrincessPure @Kiwi2016 @MosesY @Auri @Human Ex Machinae @Freya @total eclipse @FlamingoWrangler @KindaOtiose @the.end.ish @Holding my breath @Harmony @Somebody Else @Froggie @Optimistic Goatman @HappyKitty @Ash600 @Jayjay289 @bubblebear @Dinolaur @SleepyOwl @Legate Lanius @StrangeRanger @Inya @cymbele @Bradamante @SillyOldBear @NotSoNormal @Lux

If I have left anyone out, please feel free to add them, or lock this thread, whichever comes more naturally :)
thank you for the tag :) your fun facts intrigued me.....I would love to know the penguins qualifications for the High positions awarded and it's a pattern too, lol. And what a wonderful idea, the graduation top hats and swords.....
I love accents from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
now @Dante , the fun facts and Qs...
i love penguins so i’m happy to hear about this. i don’t know if this is a known thing in america but i find its great to know anyway so thanks for this info!!!😊
2) The University of Finland give out special top hats and swords to all PHD students for their graduation, which they then get to keep, they are considered a mark of their PHD as much as the actual certificate. if only i was about 45 years younger i’d go to Finland right a way and participate in this!
3) Many independent sources have agreed that looking at cute things releases stress and improves focus, here, have a tiny bunny picture. i definitely love cute. this pic too, absolutely. that is why i find myself taking shots of the wildlife when i’m out in the park on my walks. here’s the most recent ones. not all too easy to see but it did the trick for me anyway!

IMG_20210105_130005.jpg
a vine in love with a street lamp!

IMG_20210101_154248.jpg
a tree hugging another tree!

IMG_20201230_133034.jpg
this little bird was not posing for me like the others did so maybe just a bit hard to see. maybe a black capped chickadee which i very rarely see around here.

anyway, all cute by my thinking and destress releaving and happifying.

focused? Good, TIME FOR THE INTERROGATI..... *ahem*... Time for some happy questions for you all to answer in detail (or pick and choose if there are too many)

i’m sure i have many stories that qualify for this question but the only one i can think of at the moment was the one i’ve mentioned before when a corrupt manager who just hired me and then took the day off was planning some theft and i ruined that plan.

2) What is your go-to "brag" story? The story you tell to impress people? i find it hard to impress people that way. i do have some stories i think but also right now i can’t think of them.
i’ve done nice things for people and i do not really want to tell now!

4) What is your strangest hobby/interest? yikes! i can’t tell you this one either!

5) Which is your favourite accent? maybe british or kansas city or louisiana or hmm, there’s one more but not sure where its from.
6) Which trend did you initially reject but ended up embracing later on? i have a tendency to reject all trends. i’m not so sure i’ve actually embraced any yet i’ve come to be ok with wearing a mask! i eventually started going to starbucks but later stopped. hopefully i’ll start and embraceable trend myself one day.

sorry, i did not do too well answering these. sometimes its better to keep secrets i guess...
🤔😢

wait, maybe finding positivity and sharing it is something i embrace now that i rejected before 😊🌞✨

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Wow tysm for the tags x 3 @Dante @Kiwi2016 & @Lane now I have to post some kind of reply here lol ;) :) :p
I'm really not sure about my answers being very interesting for some of these so in my answers for those I will clarify what I am going to talk about instead which will be somewhat related, but simpler lol. Hope that's ok ;)

There have been a couple victories in that way but they have been extremely secret victories because they had to be (when you are dealing with people that level of sadistic it is the only way to truly beat them at such sad, pointless nonsense) basically when my stepmother tried to essentially tell me there was "nothing she didn't know" in terms of personal things about me (lmao utterly ridiculous right?! I was fucking 13 or 14 years old!) I pretended like I believed her but inside I was laughing so hard it wasn't even funny lol. The other time was when I finally realized what a miserable, backwards ass control freak my boss was. Whenever he tried to pull his backwards nonsense (which was more or less always) I would just remember the extremely helpful clarity I gained from the book I read on how to deal with controlling people. For them to be trying to do such a thing to people and not even be aware of it is a form of insanity, so after I realized that I dealt with him as someone who was not capable of truly being rational about things, because he really wasn't. He never had any idea that I had started dealing with him that way because it was only in my head & I was very careful to never let on in any way that I was thinking of him like that. But god did it ever make my interactions with him easier! I was free from getting wrapped up in his nonsense after that I'm glad to say. :)

Interesting q, I was thinking about talking about "something I'm proud of in my life" instead which would basically be the above answer lol but then I realized that wouldn't be very honest since that isn't a story I tell just anyone. It's a bit too "heavy" to most people I think, unless they enjoy such intellectual/psychological kinds of subjects even half as much as I do (god it is incredibly rare but whatever just how it is I guess) then I don't think they'd want to talk about such a thing. Anyway I realized after that I can't answer this q period because of the "to impress people" part. Anything I do where that is the intent, I will never admit. No way.

I don't know about the "nicest" but some nice things I've done where I didn't necessarily tell anyone about it was leave money randomly at bus stops. Leave my transfers there when I don't need it anymore. Gave random kindness notes to random people in my building (this was years ago & I didn't do it in person, just left the slips of paper under their doors) and I bring my friend cookies whenever I make them (which is pretty often lol). I bring him other things sometimes as well.

Collecting pictures of things or people I like maybe? I dunno how "strange" that is though lol. I know lots of people do that, but I think it's maybe a bit less common in my age group. Think it's generally considered more of a "teenage" thing to do.

I'm a bit sensitive about having any kind of preference with this because it really bothers me a lot when guys say they prefer a girl with a certain kind of accent. Or when I've read people say that "they'd do anything so-and-so said" because of their accent. It's just like "huh?!" I dunno just seems a bit...hmm...ok...I guess I won't finish this sentence. Let's just say I do not like it at all.

Some accents I think sound nice are British and Australian but no way in hell would I "do anything they said" just because of the accent, no way! And if there were 2 people who looked identical and had similar personalities and the only difference was one had a regular accent/voice (ie same or similar to mine lol) and the other had one of those accents that would not sway me in any way at all because I would like them both exactly the same. I think it's a tragic shame that this would not be the answer for every person in this world because it really should be imo. Ok rant is over for this now lol.

I never follow trends, period. I am not a follower when it comes to my own bloody fashion or other kinds of choices when it comes to buying, saying or doing things and I never have been. Maybe that's why I've never been very popular, not willing to be enough of a butt kisser with this kind of nonsense lol. Who knows. Anyway in terms of fashion I feel like I just kind of have my own unique style. Always liked rainbow things, flashy things, bell-bottoms (yes, even before they became popular in the 90's lol), leggings, peplum style shirts or dresses, ruffles, lots of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00