• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Musings, ideas, what are you thinking about?

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
What the hell was the takeaway going on about last night? Handed me my bag of food then started detailing all the issues he'd had on his route, with apocalyptic descriptions of drains overflowing and streets flooding. I said it looks OK out here, can I close the door and serve my food on a plate now, šŸ˜†šŸ˜¬
 
What the hell was the takeaway going on about last night? Handed me my bag of food then started detailing all the issues he'd had on his route, with apocalyptic descriptions of drains overflowing and streets flooding. I said it looks OK out here, can I close the door and serve my food on a plate now, šŸ˜†šŸ˜¬
My dad is often like this. Like he has no sense of what to say at what time.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
Guess I’m mentioning the same thing two posts in a row.

It is, and not having to do it anymore is one of the few good things to come out of all this. My writing hand doesn’t work, so I have no choice but to find someone to do it for me. I’m trying to learn to write legibly with my left hand, but I don’t look forward to that at all.
I am left-handed so it's the same for me when I try to write or draw with my right hand.
Finished the forms for now. My brain says we're not doing that again today. We being the collective neurons and glial cells I suppose.
 
It’s really fascinating to see someone born in the 1800s and make it to the half of or even up to late 1900s, same with 1900s-2000s. They literally saw the world changed, from the way they dress, technology, and laws…

it made me wonder that technically I’m someone born in the 20th century and now living in the 21st century, if that aint an accomplishment then idk what is.
 

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Thinking about death. Why can't we just will ourselves to die. To crawl into a warm bed and will ourselves to cease to exist. To move on to a new plane.
I am so tired of this life. Tired of failing health. Tired of extreme boredom. The pointlessness of it all. Tired of being tired all the time. Tired of watching the world self-destruct. Tired of not enjoying anything any more. I know that it will all end someday. I just wish it would hurry up.
 

Gonz

ā‚²ā€¹ā€ŗÅŠŹ‘
It’s really fascinating to see someone born in the 1800s and make it to the half of or even up to late 1900s, same with 1900s-2000s. They literally saw the world changed, from the way they dress, technology, and laws…

it made me wonder that technically I’m someone born in the 20th century and now living in the 21st century, if that aint an accomplishment then idk what is.
The Wright brothers making their first flights and Armstrong walking on the moon both happened within my grandfather’s lifetime. That’s wild.

The only time in human history where the world has ā€œadvancedā€ more quickly is right now.
 

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Thinking about death. Why can't we just will ourselves to die. To crawl into a warm bed and will ourselves to cease to exist. To move on to a new plane.
I am so tired of this life. Tired of failing health. Tired of extreme boredom. The pointlessness of it all. Tired of being tired all the time. Tired of watching the world self-destruct. Tired of not enjoying anything any more. I know that it will all end someday. I just wish it would hurry up.
Sorry for you, your situation is much worse than mine. You said that you have extreme boredom--in my case I never get bored at all. After all, there are always new things to learn. But above all I have a sense of purpose which always gives me the guts to stay alive.
 
The Wright brothers making their first flights and Armstrong walking on the moon both happened within my grandfather’s lifetime. That’s wild.

The only time in human history where the world has ā€œadvancedā€ more quickly is right now.
there are also those who witnessed telegraphs, to telephone, to cellphone, black and white tv to colored ones, that’s crazy for someone to live and witness all of that, women’s rights to vote, wars, segregation, lgbtq rights, advancement of vaccines, how airports functioned back then to now, birth and death of shopping malls becoming online malls/apps, from snail mail to email, that’s a lot to take in.
 

Gonz

ā‚²ā€¹ā€ŗÅŠŹ‘
There’s an act before congress right now (HR2450) that would increase the amount people on social security are allowed to save before being penalized, and would allow them to cohabitate with a partner or get married without penalty.

I know there are a few people here in the habit of calling or writing to their reps, maybe mention support for this too while you’re at it?
 

Deadsoon

Well-Known Member
Family and others never let you live down your mistakes. They hold it over your head and define you by it when you have more rights than wrongs. You subconsciously aim for perfection because, if not, you are over-criticized by everyone. They don't see your battle with depression, social anxiety, stress over finances, health issues, dealing with bullies, dealing with ableism, or dealing with shallow people. This can all cloud a person's judgment because they are worried about those issues and how to deal with them. Plus, on top of dealing with life decisions, it's hard. People pick and choose who they give grace to when someone makes a mistake.
 
I really wonder what happened to empathy. you're looked down upon and laughed at if you don't conform to every single minor expectation that society has, unless you look like a pornstar.
And everyone that shows compassion or friendliness to those people gets shoved into the same box as them.

it's so stupid. I'm not asking anyone to be my friend, I just want to be treated like a human.

the world sees me as nothing but cattle, and everyone is scrambling to tear off the little shreds of flesh still sticking to my body.
 
I really wonder what happened to empathy. you're looked down upon and laughed at if you don't conform to every single minor expectation that society has, unless you look like a pornstar.
And everyone that shows compassion or friendliness to those people gets shoved into the same box as them.

it's so stupid. I'm not asking anyone to be my friend, I just want to be treated like a human.

the world sees me as nothing but cattle, and everyone is scrambling to tear off the little shreds of flesh still sticking to my body.
I am sorry you're going through such treatment šŸ™
 
How to say what I’m about to say without sounding like a crazy person. I’m undergoing a treatment on a regular basis that, as a side effect, causes me to dissociate for about an hour immediately after I take it: Spravato. Dissociation is defined as a disconnection from one’s own thoughts, emotions, memories, or sense of identity; it’s often feeling detached from oneself or reality. To an extent, yes, I often feel like an observer of my own life, but I don’t identify with feeling ā€œdisconnected.ā€ I don’t see it as a separation from myself but rather an expansion. When I dissociate, I can still acknowledge my thoughts and feelings as my own, but their influence has diminished because my perception has expanded from myself to that of my immediate surroundings. It feels like the room is alive, expanding and compressing to the rhythm of my breath as if it, too, were a breathing organism. I can also sense or predict when someone is going to walk by or enter my room before they even make a sound. As I go about my day-to-day routine, I perceive myself and the world as separate entities, but when I’m dissociating after having just taken Spravato, I’m not so much an inhabitant of the world as I am an extension of it. I’m still me, but now there’s so much more to the world than my pain and my previously myopic view. On the whole, Spravato is lifting my depression, but I’m uncertain as to which is doing the lifting: these awe-inspiring retreats or a boost in specific neurotransmitters?

In my General Psychology course, I’ve recently learned about altered states of consciousness including those induced by meditation, hypnosis, sleep, and psychoactive drugs, and that is probably a more palatable description of my experience.
 
How to say what I’m about to say without sounding like a crazy person. I’m undergoing a treatment on a regular basis that, as a side effect, causes me to dissociate for about an hour immediately after I take it: Spravato. Dissociation is defined as a disconnection from one’s own thoughts, emotions, memories, or sense of identity; it’s often feeling detached from oneself or reality. To an extent, yes, I often feel like an observer of my own life, but I don’t identify with feeling ā€œdisconnected.ā€ I don’t see it as a separation from myself but rather an expansion. When I dissociate, I can still acknowledge my thoughts and feelings as my own, but their influence has diminished because my perception has expanded from myself to that of my immediate surroundings. It feels like the room is alive, expanding and compressing to the rhythm of my breath as if it, too, were a breathing organism. I can also sense or predict when someone is going to walk by or enter my room before they even make a sound. As I go about my day-to-day routine, I perceive myself and the world as separate entities, but when I’m dissociating after having just taken Spravato, I’m not so much an inhabitant of the world as I am an extension of it. I’m still me, but now there’s so much more to the world than my pain and my previously myopic view. On the whole, Spravato is lifting my depression, but I’m uncertain as to which is doing the lifting: these awe-inspiring retreats or a boost in specific neurotransmitters?

In my General Psychology course, I’ve recently learned about altered states of consciousness including those induced by meditation, hypnosis, sleep, and psychoactive drugs, and that is probably a more palatable description of my experience.
You're not crazy šŸ’š
 

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Just saw something on the news how companies are now selling make-up to children as young as six. This irks me.
I do agree with you. Let them be kids for as long as possible. Growing up is tough enough, let them have and keep that wonder of exploring life and the world at its most simplest basis. I do agree with Marcus Auerlius in Meditions XII:

"See what things are in themselves, dividing them into matter, form and purpose.", Enjoy as much as possible what surrounds you and what I saw viewing. One of those I wished I had known when a yonker.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$255.00
Top