I hate that I live in a culture that emphasizes fatalistic nostalgia and early years so much. I have great early memories and I don't hold it against anyone if they get nostalgic over something or if the best years of their life were their 1's, 10's, or 20's, but I don't believe that makes it some automatic rule that we're all beholden to. And no, my young days were not "carefree", stop projecting and assuming cliche tropes. Despite my issues now, I'm glad to be an adult -- and most of the time all our worst issues stem from when we were kids anyway!
It's annoying to be constantly sold the message that my best and freest years are either upon me or behind me, even when it flies in the face of my actual experience. Sure, so far my early youth is my best time, but teens were the worst and I refuse to resign myself to the idea that I can't be blissful again with the tools now at my disposal.
What makes it worse is that a lot of these people reproduce even while they think kids' lives necessarily get worse with time. That strikes me as a bad message to send. "It'll only go down from here but I made you because, I don't know, love I guess, and by the way my best years were before you came around." Lame.
Anytime someone tries to romanticize high school to me I feel like strangling them.
I had a peanut butter chocolate bar with my breakfast this morning and nobody gonna do SHET.