I'm sick of people who are so polarized that they will attack someone on a personal level for the slightest sign of holding a differing political view from them, even if politics is irrelevant to the situation. For instance I read a news story where they had a doctor talking about a number of pregnant patients who had been diagnosed with syphilis, a disease that could result in a child being born with brain damage.
The doctor referred to "a pregnant person." A number of readers then jumped all over him for not saying "woman" - suggesting he is stupid or didn't have a a real medical degree because he used a neutral term.
I've never worked in medicine but I worked in an industry where we had to very careful not to give even general identifying information to third parties. If someone gave us a licence plate number, we would then ask what model of vehicle or what the driver looked like, even though the type of vehicle attached to that plate, and who it was registered to, would pop up on our computer screen. We were not allowed to say "oh that vehicle is a red Toyota Corolla registered to Mr. Roy Jones." Or even ask "was the driver a middle-aged man?"
When you are not allowed to divulge personal information, it becomes automatic not to disclose someone's race, gender, occupation and so on, because sometimes those things can be used to identify someone. I would assume this is doubly important in the case of something like a sexually transmitted disease!!! So you use neutral terms. I doubt the doctor was consciously omitting the patients' gender - neutral language is a habit. I doubt he was being "woke" but even if he was, it's just nasty to attack his professional competence over it. And yeah - they are Internet trolls but I think people become emboldened to attack or shun someone IRL if others back them up.