I wish that it could be clean-cut, removing a former abuser of yours from your life. I wish it was as simple as just seeing all the pain they caused, and hating them for it. I wish i could just get completely uncomplicated feelings of resentment and loathing. I wish i just wanted him gone. But it's often not that cut and dry.
You have history with them. He was a huge part of my life for 12 years. He was my friend when nobody else would be, when i was that violent weirdo freak nobody liked. For a long time, my entire sense of self hinged on his opinion of me. I loved him. Among all that pain, there are happy memories, old nostalgia for the way they used to make you feel before you realised what they were doing to you, even though at the time, thanks to them, you were really miserable. You feel an undeserved affection towards them, one that they conditioned into you. And if they're an author of their own sadness as they often tend to be, cos you're the kind of person they could take advantage of, you feel bad for them.
Even if you manage to resist their charms, and avoid getting pulled back in under their control, cutting them out of your life entirely can just feel...impossible. You still have way too much patience for their antics and their failings. He still regularly manages to talk my ear off for hours at a time about his latest personal fixation. He still tries to tell me what i should and shouldn't be doing. He just got me to watch a stream of his, cos he's become fixated on his new Youtube channel, and now he's inviting me to join a Discord server with all his friends. There's even talk of me joining in his tabletop RPG group. And hearing him talk about me as his oldest friend, seeing the cred it got me, it felt good. His praise still feels validating, in a way it just shouldn't. Some part of me still needs him to tell me i'm a good lapdog.
I know i shouldn't be letting him in to this extent again, but it's like swimming against the tide, i just don't have it in me to put my foot down and tell him to fuck off. I don't have the heart to kick him when he's down, which he always is, even if he can't see it. It really sucks just how complicated my feelings about him are, even after all these years of seeing through him, and processing the damage he did to me.