• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Suicidal Thoughts - Are you Feeling Suicidal Today?

That's unfortunately not uncommon. Have you tried a mixture of two meds or more? It can be quite tricky to get it right. My friend only felt better when an antipsychotic was added to the antidepressant . Maybe a new psychiatrist, or second opinion, would help if you feel your present one isn't really getting it right.
I've tried a few med combos--I was on three meds before I dropped one, and the one I stopped taking was an antipsychotic (for my OCD). It felt really helpful at first but then it stopped feeling very helpful (I was having lots of bad OCD flare-ups) and then I realized it was giving me muscle tension, so I decided to stop. That med plus my other two was the closest I've felt to having a good combo for a while before the third stopped doing much, so maybe I had the wrong dose after a while or maybe I could try a slightly different antipsychotic?
 

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
There are a variety of reasons why meds stop working, for example you can build up tolerance, you could have increased stressors, or a new medical condition Inflammation anywhere in the body can also cause treatment resistance so maybe discuss with your psychiatrist about blood tests for inflammatory markers and things like thyroid function?
 
There are a variety of reasons why meds stop working, for example you can build up tolerance, you could have increased stressors, or a new medical condition Inflammation anywhere in the body can also cause treatment resistance so maybe discuss with your psychiatrist about blood tests for inflammatory markers and things like thyroid function?
I've actually been tested for thyroid function in the past and it was okay, but I do have some kind of chronic illness (my doctors think it's POTS, but the process to get diagnosed has taken a long time so it isn't confirmed yet) and that's been acting up. I wonder if that's why my mental health is so weird right now
 
@Lara_C @AmberMarie I probably am not on the right dose (or maybe type?) of meds, but I've tried *so* many medications over the years and every time it ends up like this. They'll work for a while if they work at all, then somehow it just stops and I feel like I'm at square one. I don't know what's wrong with me that I don't respond to meds well, but it's really discouraging. Maybe there's a type of med I haven't tried, idk. I think I've mostly done antidepressants and ADHD meds, with mixed results. I did recently stop a medication because of the side effects, so I wonder if it was helping my depression or impulsivity without me realizing (the medication was for OCD). I actually need to get a new psychiatrist so I need to actually figure that out soon
Something i learned about a yr n half ago when i had my 1st trip to the Mayo clinic. Often times, even if your medication dosage is high, the therapeutic dosage is still low. Its a simple blood test that can be done to find out. You might need to just go up in the meds if they work for a while then stop. It was explained to me that meds can often feel like they are working, and then plateau, then feel as though they stop. When that happens, it usually means your therapeutic dosage within your system is too low. i hope you are able to get the correct meds and dosages that you need to feel better.
 
Yes I feel suicidal but won't act today. Safety plan in place πŸ˜•

Been hoping UK gov will introduce a similar system like they have in Canada. I'm currently too afraid to feel pain from the way I'd intend on doing it. Or that I'll fail. Definitely don't want to survive and have an even more hellish existence.

I've been having intense suicidal ideation for a few months now.

I couldn't log in here .. for some reason the site was restricted.

I think being unable to access the site has exacerbated my symptoms.

Anyway, finally found a way to return. Best wishes to all of you πŸ™
 

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Yes I feel suicidal but won't act today. Safety plan in place πŸ˜•

Been hoping UK gov will introduce a similar system like they have in Canada. I'm currently too afraid to feel pain from the way I'd intend on doing it. Or that I'll fail. Definitely don't want to survive and have an even more hellish existence.

I've been having intense suicidal ideation for a few months now.

I couldn't log in here .. for some reason the site was restricted.

I think being unable to access the site has exacerbated my symptoms.

Anyway, finally found a way to return. Best wishes to all of you πŸ™
@MagickLynx, I'm so glad that you found your way back here, but sorry to here about the suicidal ideation. I really hope that you stay safe and keep posting. How are you today? *console
 
@MagickLynx, I'm so glad that you found your way back here, but sorry to here about the suicidal ideation. I really hope that you stay safe and keep posting. How are you today? *console
Hi Lane 😊 actually feel a bit more ok now that I found a way to access the site, some people don't understand that sites like this are helpful for people like me. Definitely, sticking to my safety plan, looking after myself. Thanks for your support, hope you are well πŸ™‚
 
still suicidal today--and I really wish the mood swings would stop. I'll have moments that feel closer to okay, then I swing back into being really suicidal. I feel worn out because it's like my brain can't decide how I feel and the waves of worse depression/suicidal thoughts hit out of nowhere. I really wish my therapy appointment was today and not next week.
 
I don't know what to do because it feels like hotlines don't do anything besides ask me demographic questions and make sure I'm not actively attempting. I can't burden my friends with venting about this, and my family is really busy right now and wouldn't be able to do much apart from trying to get me into some kind of inpatient or outpatient program to adjust my meds, except we can't afford anything like that. it feels like all I've got is therapy and this forum. and I know if I told my parents how I'm really feeling that they'd go into debt if it meant helping me, but the guilt would eat me alive. things have been hard financially and it would be so unfair to them. I wish the help I need wasn't so expensive. It's so hard trying to keep my brain stable with everything I have and I'm so, so tired
 

LumberJack

Honk If You're a Silly Goose
SF Supporter
I just don't know. I know I'm off balance. This is the feeling when I know what I could do that would help (e.g., calling a friend or walking to a cafe nearby), and I am resistant to doing it. Like I want to feel shitty because that's what I deserve. Then I think maybe I deserve to die - but then I think that I don't deserve to die because I'm not good enough yet. Death is better than life, so if I dare to think I might deserve to die, that would be dressing above my station. Why am I like this? It's pretty cruel if I externalize it, as in would I tell someone else who felt really bad that they must deserve it for being awful? No, I don't like the way I would feel if I said that. Somehow it's fine to say to myself though. I know this is very common human behavior, and I still know that I'd be happier without all this self-incrimination. I'm scared. Really, really scared.
 
I don't want you to feel pressured to give advice
Oh, I don't feel any pressure, thank you. I like to help people who I think deserve help, so I mostly feel pressure not to give advice on SF. I don't know if I would have any advice that you'd like, but maybe. Some of it may be things that you're already aware of.

If you're in the US or Canada, you could try calling 211 to see if there might be any additional therapy or services available. There might be group therapy sessions available for free or low cost. Group therapy is usually much less expensive than one-on-one, and might help fill in the gap time.

Also, if you explain to your therapist that you think you need more therapy but can't afford it, they might have some suggestions.

These links (to pages on SF) might have some helpful info:
------------
Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture, World's Second Largest Medical System

Self-Treatment and Miscellaneous

Specific Info for Insomnia
-------------
The Sleep Book: How to Sleep Well Every Night by Dr Guy Meadows has been recommended on the UK's reading-well book list. I haven't read it, but all the books there have been vetted by at least one health professional.

The acupressure self-massage and a meditation practice might be particularly helpful for you.

I hope something can help :)
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$255.00
Top