Ideas & Opinions 💦 April- healthy living and weight gain, loss, maintain and fitness thread - Feel free to join!

Citizen Insane

Emote Encyclopedia
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Eya, joining the thread ^__^

The gyms are still closed here since december 2020 because of the lockdown (the Netherlands). I do miss some weight lifting, like for abs/back/arms etc. *thumbsdown

I got a decent streak of some sorts going - the past 26 days I've used my hometrainer bike 23 times - minimum 30 minutes each time of cardio. Doing this mostly to build it in to my lifestyle - I didn't think this was possible before.
For some folk indeed the hometrainer they bought ends up being used less than they want it to. I knew this beforehand - so I made the adjustment (mentally) and not falling in to the same trap. It may seem like a lot, but I think 30~ish minutes each day is maybe even the minumum of what I want to do with body/exercise wise.
The rest of the day I simply don't move around too much, am either sitting on desk chair or sofa. *hiding

What helps for me is that I don't exercise to lose weight directly (that requires a major food intake change too) - but I exercise to feel conditionally more fit and it also even helps to reduce anxiety. I'm sure there are many other benefits to this.
Even on a day where I had migraines recently, I knew that by exercising I would reduce the pain - and that worked out too. I'm unlikely to have a rest day in between - on days where I don't exercise I feel emotionally less okay and quite fatigued.

I have a question: I can't seem to find the 100% definitive answer on whether or not I should stretch the muscles at all. :o Like 0% stretching or stretching before/after exercising. *help
Perhaps a question for my gym instructor >___< It's not about injury reduction I think or making the muscles a bit longer or something. So I dunno... *agreed

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I completely forgot about this! Opps! *hiding

Unfortunately, my sciatica flared up about a week ago so I'm in ridiculous pain and basically either in bed or on the couch. I need to see the physio soon because it won't get any better without his help to reduce the inflammation. Anywhoo...

Keto - I have never tried that, I love carbs way too much for that but other than the carb restriction, I don't know much about keto. I hope you get smashing results though and enjoy your diet. Best of luck to you *hug
Keto is very similar to the Aitken's diet from what I've read and I don't think many people like it.
Bye the way, walking with that a ball? :D Excuse my ignorance but do you mean using balls like erm, ping pong type balls as a distractions in your hands or you are walking down the roads with like a football. The image in my head is funny *hysterical but if it works for you, then why care what anyone else thinks, eh? :D*dance4 You go girl. *bravo
Haha! It's a really, really bouncy Wahu ball about the size of a tennis ball. I tried a tennis ball but it didn't bounce high enough for me to play with :D
I also considered a football but I walk near the roads during my outings and if it got away from me, it'd cause a car accident :D

A_J_R

I've lost 2st over the last couple of months. The first stone I lost in 2 weeks, I think through stress and heartache but it was a welcome side effect. The second stone was definitely helped by going out to work again. Intermittent fasting has always worked pretty well for me but when I'm at home all day I just don't have the willpower to stay out of the fridge. But when I'm at work I can't snack constantly and by time I get home the hunger pangs have gone so I can survive quite happily with just a 500 calorie dinner. So I'm doing this three days a week and just trying to be a bit more careful on the other four days.
Congrats on the weight loss. Sorry the 1st half was through stress, but it's good to see you are also doing healthy things too!

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I did another Crossfit class. I'm still in the noob section of class, so nothing too difficult, but it was fun!
Delighted you are enjoying your Crossfit class, keep it up, enjoy it, I'm glad you are finding it fun *hug Killing 2 birds with one stone there, having fun & your health is being improved. :)

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Mini update: The month is half way through and I have followed my healthy diet to a tee, no fads, no quick fixes, just planning for the next day, every day, with a balanced diet.

I'm doing great, didn't get much exercise in yesterday but every other this month has been perfectly planned as laid out. I'm proud of myself for sticking to it *shy Proud of you all too of course!

Also healthy food does not mean boring food, use your imagination when in the grocery store and try new veggies, fruits, different seeded multi grain bread. Also, make sure you are eating enough of healthy protein, eggs are my go to when I need more protein in my day. Turkey is great too but can't always get it fresh at the small stores.

Keep it up everyone. It will be worth it and your body will thank you as well as your mind.

Congratulations all. Check-in if reading whether you need motivation or advice, we're here to support each other!

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Finished my first full week of proper Crossfit, and I really loved it. I also have run 6 miles this week. I'd be running more if my partner were in town this weekend, but she's not, so I might either try to get into a Crossfit class tomorrow or just do something here at home. Either way, this is the one part of my life that feels on track.
I'm so happy for you, congratulations :)

Keep it going, it is obviously making you feel good about yourself and it is something to look forward to every day. So proud of you, keep enjoying it *hug

We're buddies now I think haha :D I am still on track too, it feels amazing and I'm sleeping better.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Finishing up the 4th week straight on my healthy eating and light exercise regime. I feel so full of energy and mentally distracted. I am going to do my best to keep this a healthy habit for life. *stars Proud of myself, it has improved my anxiety quite a bit too. :)

Together, we can achieve what we believe we will.

A_J_R

I'm so happy for you, congratulations :)

Keep it going, it is obviously making you feel good about yourself and it is something to look forward to every day. So proud of you, keep enjoying it *hug

We're buddies now I think haha :D I am still on track too, it feels amazing and I'm sleeping better.
I'm so glad to hear you've stuck with it and are sleeping better. I still have insomnia. I got up at 3 am today. So, color me super jealous! :P But overall, physically I feel OK.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I'm so glad to hear you've stuck with it and are sleeping better. I still have insomnia. I got up at 3 am today. So, color me super jealous! :P But overall, physically I feel OK.
Thank you so much. So sorry to hear about your insomnia, maybe try melatonin? 3am is an awful time to be waking but hopefully as your fitness levels improve your sleep will improve, also making sure your vitamin B intake is at the recommended levels :) If all fails put some lavender on your pillow, it does calm your stress levels quite a bit but of course if it keeps up at the pace it is, see your doctor.

Keep updating us, I love your updates of progress here. Guess what? It spurs me on and gives me motivation to do more :) Thank you *hug

This is the longest in a couple of years I have managed both exercise and diet changes, I feel happy and excited and I was so happy when I was a few lbs down on the scales too :)

You're great, keep it up pal :)

Fleury Dragon

Rawr 🐲
Chat Pro
SF Supporter
Update, no more sweets or ice cream, no chippes or takeaways. It's been a week since I ate any of my usual unhealthy comfort foods.
Doing ok so far I've lost 2kg.
Tonight I sat looking at takeouts I could have delivered. Eventually got up and heated up dinner. Still struggling with staying on track especially when not feeling great.

Congrats everyone you sound like you are finding things that are working for you.

Update, no more sweets or ice cream, no chippes or takeaways. It's been a week since I ate any of my usual unhealthy comfort foods.
Doing ok so far I've lost 2kg.
Tonight I sat looking at takeouts I could have delivered. Eventually got up and heated up dinner. Still struggling with staying on track especially when not feeling great.

Congrats everyone you sound like you are finding things that are working for you.
Good for you!

Yes it's so difficult when you are not feeling great. Today I ate 2 cookies, but at least it was just 2.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00