How to deal with intrusive thoughts and memories?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Rockclimbinggirl, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I tend to distract, but I was wondering if any one else has any coping tips?

2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey there Kcho, the best thing I found was meditation. Which is hypocritical of me, cause I stopped doing it several years ago. But for two years I had a practice of 20mins meditation twice per day and it really helped with a lot of things, calmer mind, less racing thoughts and better focus......over all feeling of well being. Why did I stop :) beats me.
    You hardest thing for me was finding a meditation practice I could connect with, there are so many. The one I found was a mantra meditation where you simply repeat a word in you head over and over, as you continue to do this, your breathing slows down, thoughts become less frequent and a feeling of calm. But it's not just during the times of meditation, it carries on throughout your day, you don't get upset as easy, your super relaxed. Again....why did I stop...stupid.......I need to start again. He funny thing was, the book I got was on kindle and really cheap, but the author explained it so easily and it was so simple. If your interested I can send you the name o the book.
    Brian

3. Rockclimbinggirl

@Brian777 Yes please send me the name of the book.

Brian777 likes this.
  4. Rockclimbinggirl

I've been messaging with a counsellor and it was suggested that I write down the intrusive thoughts on a piece of paper and then rip it up.

Brian777 likes this.
  5. Brian777

6. Brian777

We should maybe start a meditation group on the site Kcho :)

7. Brian777

You changed your name, I was confused lol

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Brian I really like your ideas, they seem well worth trying, especially repeating a word over and over and focusing on that one word, I guess its mindfulness :)
    I think an SF meditation group is a wonderful idea as I also suffer with intrusive thoughts, thank you :)

Brian777 likes this.
  9. afterlifepig

afterlifepig Well-Known Member

i have intrusive thoughts constantly throughout the day. i think they're as bad as they are because i used to combine alcohol and caffeine and drank too much basically. i basically deal with them through saying positive things to counteract them. i did find that meditation helped temporarily though.

Brian777 likes this.
  10. Rockclimbinggirl

I am finding that minfulness can help. Starting to struggle with intrusive memories again.