• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

I met a new therapist

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#23
I have some theories, or ideas~
But-
I don't want to, "Jump to conclusions!"

And also: You don't have to feel compelled to answer, or respond... Now, or ever. :^)
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#24
For the record, I think you'd make a brilliant psychologist, or social worker of some kind. . .

You have done a very astute, self-analysis. Which is no easy feat!

But... it's like, just because we know what it is: right? (that doesn't then--automatically assume);
that we will be able to do anything about it~*>
 

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#26
how to go about, solving my problems - or ills! ;^)
This made me giggle


For the record, I think you'd make a brilliant psychologist, or social worker of some kind
I've been told that before. At the moment it's not something I want to do.

Can you explain what you mean? By, or when you say... "splitting-yourself?" : )
I forgot I wrote this. I'm not sure how to describe splitting oneself. And it's no longer 2 am.
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#27
I wasn't meaning to imply that you should be one of those. Just that you seem like you could be, or that you remind me of somebody who would make one of those... is all (psychotherapists). :^)

I'm glad you disagreed with the part that I felt the least secure about, in my offerings, on the pedestal-comment. That's more stock thing given someone / anyone / else~ ;^)

I hope you can get something out of this. Something good. Something meaningful. And that you are able to go further with it, than you ever have before. For as you've said, though you've had some wonderful & exceptional experiences with them.

You've also had some, "not so wonderful," ones as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But now that you're here. You're living. Why not, give it your best shot? And open up (if you can--& if they have earned it)...

Just to see: where it is, it takes (or leads) you?

Perhaps it is somewhere special, or magnificent. And it opens up your whole new world for some experiences to be shared, and realized. Who knows? It may even make it easier for you to be, or feel, around others in some certain situations.

Less frightened, as it were--maybe? . . . Assuming that-that, or that-this, is something you'd like to see (& to have happen then).

I can see how you'd find it difficult to believe somebody. And to just automatically trust them. Given what's happened to you in the past. And in growing up. So it all makes sense, then, is what I'm trying to say. Hopefully this wasn't too difficult a read~
 

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#31
It was better this week. Better as in although it's on my mind today it wasn't as big a deal so hasn't taken over as much. Just tired.
 

snails

Useless currently
#32
I don't think I'm asking anything here although I always value and appreciate your words.

Index
A = online chat therapy I did text based for 2 years until she changed job roles.
P = NHS 'therapist' I saw for 6 months, met her about 15 times, who ended it. Essentially because I didn't talk to her or trust her.
MDK = a counsellor I met a few times after P. He doesn't have much training so we didn't work together.
E = I met a clinical psychologist over zoom we didn't work with each other for a couple reasons. If I use this as a thread not just a post I may explain why.
M = therapist I met once on Thursday which is why I'm writing this post


I met a new therapist on Thursday. Privately. As in not NHS. I saw 2 therapists since the NHS therapist ended it and although both of them showed me how P - who I saw through the NHS - was wrong. I guess seeing a third person who was so very different still brought it up again. And I didn't think I'd be going back to P. I thought this would just be about M - the therapist I mat on Thursday. I guess P impacted me more than I realise. She blamed me that she ended it. As in said it's my fault.

So I met M on Thursday. She had all the right words. She said she doesn't expect trust. She said she's plenty of ways to communicate, it doesn't have to be through speaking. She's actually read - well studied I hope - a lot of current day research. She said too many things - good that I didn't like. Like that she'd want to know why suicide was am option. Like that her goal would be to communicate from the emotions and not pure logic. Like that working on labeling feelings.

There were a couple things that weren't okay that I have to remember to bring up. We spoke over each other a lot. And she didn't hear what I said. I can give 4 examples I can remember where I said something and a couple minutes or more later she said something showing she hadn't heard me. One is that I told her I'd begun reading the book Waking the Tiger by Peter Levine, but didn't read through it because the book contained exercises that I couldn't do on my own. A few minutes later she was telling ne that she liked somatic stuff by Levine and he wrote a book and she began explaining a sentence or two what his research was, and it's sonething about a tiger. I filled in Waking the Tiger. But if she had heard me earlier she wouldn't have said it. A few more examples like that. Where what she said meant she just hadn't actually heard my words.

I want to ask her what I'd have to do to push her away. I need to know for both reasons. To know what to do and what not to do.

I also need to know exactly what she knows about me. I know we only met once. She seemed to see more than I'd want her to.

Thursday is too far away. And this is coming from someone who doesn't want to do therapy. And does :). It actually is too far away for me. And this is when I've met her once. But I can't see how we can meet more than once a week when she only works here Wed and Thu.

I do and don't want to do therapy as I said. It's not just about the fear. It's that I don't want things to change. The purpose of therapy, really, is to implement change. Well understand or heal so that things change. And I don't want it to. For so many different reasons. Add in also that I don't want to be seen / known. That I don't want to face myself.

She didn't just 'get' me. That's not a red flag. It's not a necessity. It's a shame. She seemed to get a lot of what I'd be bringing to the room. Not because she got me. Because she understood my presentation - is the best way I can think to word it. Why I'm saying this is because I met MDK after things ended with P. MDK just got me. As in totally and completely. We were speaking the same language in a way I've never seen before. We met a few times before he told me he didn't feel he had the skills. That isn't a bad thing. Just a statement. That is also after he told me he didn't see that he'd learn anything from training more :). One day I may try to convince him to train further. So M didn't get me. I know that's something that can be learned. Wrong word. As in one can get to know someone. A knew me. I'd say that A knows me more than most people. She didn't know me when I started working with her.

I told her at least 3 times that I'd probably do my level best to keep her away. I didn't realise I'd been repeating myself until the last time I said it. And I was realising that I'd said it before. I also told her that just showing up was doing my part. By that I mean that 'just' showing up takes absolutely everything. And that I wouldn't intentionally try to get her to end it. I say that now and I'm curious if there's a part of me that would try to if she got too close. Take the curiosity away. I'm nearly certain I would. But I don't think push her away is the right words. More like possibly throw up some walls. I don't know if I would though or not. A dismantled much of those walls. Which isn't a good thing.

Anyways.
I think you're amazing for doing it. And yes 'just' showing up is so hard. It sounds like you did much more than that though, and that you are doing your best to pre empt problems snd help them help you. I hope they can work out the talking over you thing, I would find it so hard if I felt someone hadn't listened in that moment where I'd been so vulnerable and given everything I had to say it.
Sending love
 

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#33
I think you're amazing for doing it. And yes 'just' showing up is so hard. It sounds like you did much more than that though, and that you are doing your best to pre empt problems snd help them help you. I hope they can work out the talking over you thing, I would find it so hard if I felt someone hadn't listened in that moment where I'd been so vulnerable and given everything I had to say it.
Sending love
Thank you as always!
I think it'll work out.
 

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#34
She said she was gonna email me a questionnaire she wanted me to fill out. Which she didn't. I'm happy in a sense not to have had to spend that time. And I really don't like that she didn't do what she said she would. Also although I'd have no issue filling something out now since I don't know her, I wouldn't be as honest if I did know her.
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#35
I think judgement is really interesting because it doesn’t actually change the facts.
You are what you are, whether somebody else thinks that you are good, bad, bipolar, depressed, autistic, narcissistic, a sociopath, a psychopath or any other of a million labels we have it doesn’t actually change anything, you are the exact same person you were before they gave their opinion.
Yet, I value judgment so highly and define so much of my worth based upon it. I fear judgment so much that I am prepared to not reveal my true self even to someone who needs that information to help me.
It’s like a translation module that filters and modifies responses going out, to paint the picture I want others to see but then I have to take their advice and modify it again to make it work for my true self. But that translation module is biased, it is influenced by my own thoughts, feelings and emotions and it doesn’t translate things properly and just ends up telling me the same thing. It’s like looking at a painting you’ve made of yourself instead of in the mirror.
 

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#36
I wish I wasn't already anxious today for tomorrow. Keep wishing as they say :).

I'm not actually anxious about anything per session.
Anxious describes the physical manifestation best but it's not really anxiety - worry about anything. More fear. That in my opinion is valid. Which makes it valid. So. It's valid fear. I'm not quite sure how to put into words what it's about.
 

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#39
It's hard when you're asked the question. Is this about making attending the sessions easier or making life or something else easier?
To share.
She was saying that next week (on Thursday we spoke about her) she wants to talk about me. Could be in writing or drawing or etc.
What would make it easier to do that?

I don't know what would.
 

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#40
I bought stuff on Friday. It's definitely in response. I did the Monday after we first met and it was okay after I did. The second time we met was easier. And third time was Thursday. I'm not going to tell her although I do think it's important that she knows.

I need to tell her that she can ask me anything she wants to know and maybe I'd write the answers for her.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top