Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Hi to all terrific SF members. I always wonder what kind of questions you all may like, so I google the National Holiday if what day it is and today is National Adoption Day, I thought that was pretty cool. There are many children in need but I also though about the moms n dads here that have adopted cats, dogs, birds, fish, etc. Sooo, brings me to question number 1....

1) Where did you get you pet and how old is he or she?

2) Who do you admire or love most in your family? Is there someone that you resemble or have characteristics similar to?

3) Do you like shopping for gifts in stores or are prefer on-line shopping?

4) What's the most creative gift you've given or received? Any funny gifts?

5) What advice would you give to a younger you?

Thanks for answering if you like. I hope you're all doing ok. I hope I dont leave anyone out when I tag, but please tag anyone that you think might like a distraction or welcome to SF.

I'm having trouble tagging, with the new tagging system. I'm going to try the old way and see if works. Thanks

Screenshot_20201223-063025_Chrome.jpg AggravatingSereneBudgie-small.gif Screenshot_20201223-062915_Chrome.jpg

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Hey Lane, & "thanks!" (for opening to-day!)! ;^) I didn't know there was a "new," form of tagging, and by that--just how new were you talking? I think that up until recently, you could tag like up to ten members in a single post, after that, the others might not get the alerts/or notifications. . . But, like a lot of tings in life, I could be wrong! ..;) Great holiday, or National Day, rather - as I, mysefl was adopted a s a "baby!1" & I even got a nice / neat card (Christmas) from the animal shelter I'd gotten my two cats from. Just with a friendly, nice heartwarming reminder of 'Thanks!' for adopting, and making those animals that much happier (than being homeless) on these Holidays, and such. That was a nice touch, was more so half-expecting a request for $/&- or donations!! ;) -which is understandable, of course. I think most of the work is done there by volunteers. And without them (my two cats) I'd have no one to celebrate Christmad *& New year's with!) ...so there's that (; peace, & i'll maybe try & come back later~ if i can think of any more creative & clever answers (just joking!). I'll keep it as plain as I can get: Very Vanilla! :D

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Hey Lane, & "thanks!" (for opening to-day!)! ;^) I didn't know there was a "new," form of tagging, and by that--just how new were you talking? I think that up until recently, you could tag like up to ten members in a single post, after that, the others might not get the alerts/or notifications. . . But, like a lot of tings in life, I could be wrong! ..;) Great holiday, or National Day, rather - as I, mysefl was adopted a s a "baby!1" & I even got a nice / neat card (Christmas) from the animal shelter I'd gotten my two cats from. Just with a friendly, nice heartwarming reminder of 'Thanks!' for adopting, and making those animals that much happier (than being homeless) on these Holidays, and such. That was a nice touch, was more so half-expecting a request for $/&- or donations!! ;) -which is understandable, of course. I think most of the work is done there by volunteers. And without them (my two cats) I'd have no one to celebrate Christmad *& New year's with!) ...so there's that (; peace, & i'll maybe try & come back later~ if i can think of any more creative & clever answers (just joking!). I'll keep it as plain as I can get: Very Vanilla! :D
Awww. That's nice that you got your kitties from the shelter. I got my girl cat from the shelter too.

She was in heat when I got her! Good lord!

My mother (foster mother) took me in at 10 months old and kept me. My biological mother couldn't or didn't want to sign the papers to have her adopt me. But I felt like I was adopted. They were just as dysfunctional as any other family. Bless them all. Both of my mothers are now deceased.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
That's a wonderful story lane! :) I've never actually met my biological mother, and don't even know who she is. In those days, they didn't want to give out too much identifying information...
I've heard that. I had to meet with her once a month, supervised. She wasnt mentally stable and I was taken from her. She left me in a crib for days in a hotel, sadly. She was very sweet though, so I'm lucky to have known her.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
*hug Thank you very much @Lane ! ^^ there's a new tagging system? o.o

--- "Sweetpea" is the boss of the house 😁 my moms friend found her outside of his apartment as a kitten and gave to us. All the cats we've had were found outside as babies.

2) Who do you admire or love most in your family? Is there someone that you resemble or have characteristics similar to?

--- definitely my dad. We were peas in a pod. He raised me. I miss him but Im very greatful to have the memories.

--- eh, I prefer real life brick and mortar stores. Its instant, returns are faster, no shipping charges, and for things likes shoes/clothes its a must. Sizing is all over the place on the internet.

---- hmm... I've gotten a lot of weird stuff from my dad..lol so often that nothing stands out as "weird". Idk I guess a crockpot? Spanish guidebook thing? Giant ostrich feather? face scrubber? Jar of dirt? (lol yes)

---- focus on getting good at the basics for work. office type jobs. d9nt spend so long finding your "passion" at school. as we were always told, which is simply unrealistic for everyone. Go to school sooner than you did. And just be good, at "something". Anything. Dont wait as long as you did. Because minimum wage call center jobs suck. 😛 lol

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I'm having trouble tagging, with the new tagging system. I'm going to try the old way and see if works.
Hi Lane. It's not a new thing, it's been there for a few years. I'm not exactly sure what it does but it doesn't give notifications to people. The normal tagging system is the way to go but if you tag more than 10 people in a single post it doesn't notify everyone *thumbsup

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
We've got Eddie, he's six and was a rescue pooch.
IMG_20201222_161805.jpg

Then we've got Scout. She's nearly two and came from a breeder. As you can see, she loves Eddie very much ;)
FB_IMG_1608334377747.jpg

Then we have Salem who's four. My son was given him by a friend as a kitten. But of course his landlord wasn't happy about there being a cat in his house so he ended up with us. Alex says he's going to take him back but keeps renting houses where no cats are allowed *facepalm (not that I mind as he's a lovely cat).
FB_IMG_1548082168692.jpg

I admire my son for his empathy, my daughter for her perseverance and my brother for just being one of the world's most lovely people.

I used to love wandering around the shops looking for the perfect gift but the last few years have been too much with anxiety so on-line it is.

Hmmm.. Nick bought me paving slabs one year. And another year he took me away for a surprise weekend. It turned out to be an old peoples home (he hadn't actually read that bit, just looked at the price!). I was 29, heavily pregnant and ended up spending the entire weekend having my bump felt by old ladies *hysterical

Don't give up your dreams and opportunities for love - always make sure you have your own life because you never know when you might need to be self sufficient.

Inya

babaya gayolera
Thanks @Lane for the tag

Where did you get you pet and how old is he or she?
Recently my man sent me a picture of a black cat and asked me if he can bring her home. I haven’t met her yet but I named her Macarena.

Who do you admire or love most in your family? Is there someone that you resemble or have characteristics similar to?
I admire my extended family on my father’s side because they’re so connected, family is so important to them. In many things I resemble my father.

Do you like shopping for gifts in stores or are prefer on-line shopping?
I don’t buy gifts, I make them. If I had to buy them it depends on a gift. I can buy a book online but most things I need to touch first.

What's the most creative gift you've given or received? Any funny gifts?
I usually don’t receive creative gifts but there was one I remember the most, a handmade bracelet with my name in morse code.
I hope all my given gifts are creative. This is the last gift I made.

IMG_20160712_111539.jpg

What advice would you give to a younger you?
It doesn’t matter, I wouldn’t listen to me.

cymbele

SF Supporter
Today was a blah day - spent my day off running around. I had planned to clean but with the baby I had to take care of my daughter's cats 40 miles away. So I spent the day traveling.

But the good news is ---COOKIES. No really Christmas Day I get to meet my grandson. That will be a present. I have to wear all the protective gear but hopefully I can hold him.

1) Where did you get you pet and how old is he or she? All my cats save one have been rescued. Great crop of cats. Right now my two cats are 8 years old, and being indoor cats probably will live to 18-19 y o.

2) Who do you admire or love most in your family? Is there someone that you resemble or have characteristics similar to? My mom who was an orphan in the Great Depression wanted a close knit family and we are even after her passing. We enjoy each other's company. WE admire each other equally.

3) Do you like shopping for gifts in stores or are prefer on-line shopping? I hate shopping either way!!!

4) What's the most creative gift you've given or received? Any funny gifts? For a yankee swap gift I got a ceramic Christmas ornament which is a face mask with the words painted on it "All masked up and nowhere to go 2020"

5) What advice would you give to a younger you? Like I said the other day it would be along the lines of "Work is not the most important part of life -people and God are." I wanted to be a workaholic but failed and it made me miserable.

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Ty for tagging me @Lane :) As Sunspots already said, there isn't a new tagging system, that has been an option for awhile but I think it is meant more for putting keywords for a topic when people do searches on here, nothing to do with tagging people. I didn't get a notification for the tag for me for some reason but I'm always checking for the cafe. I'm sure you already realized it and a mod will probably move it sometime soon but this cafe was just put in the general "coffee house" forum, rather than the Jim's Cafe specific forum. Anyway ok here's my answers to the q's then.

July 2019, from a place I go to for an appointment every month. She is a very sweet, playful black cat and was born April 2019 so she's about a year and a half old now. Here's a pic of her for anyone who might give a damn to see it that is.
bella.png

My mom because it would have been SO EASY for her to truly, permanently give up on life with how little support she had combined with the abuse she had to suffer from her own mother and other major influences in her life. I have no idea how she found the inner strength to deal with all she's had to but her spirit is truly heroic and I admire her greatly. She is severely underestimated and undercredited imo.

Hard one to answer cos there's kinda good and bad to both but I guess overall I prefer online cos then I don't have to deal with people which I definitely avoid as much as possible these days (dreadful most of the time wow, so much cluelessness it's really quite despicable).

Gave my sis and her S.O a wall calendar I made for Christmas 2018 I think it was. Think I was given cookie ornaments one year from my half-bros. Think I might have been given a funny gift but can't remember any right now sorry.

Oh god so much stuff it's not even funny really. I guess one of the most important things I'd really want to make extremely clear is this: Don't waste time and energy worrying about what people think or even bothering trying to cultivate loyalty from people because it will not be remotely appreciated, will be an utter waste of effort and it just ain't worth it. You are far more powerful, special and worthy than you feel like you are so use as much energy as you possibly can on believing that to be true rather than foolishly thinking there will ever be a person, anywhere who will see that in you and actually be able to reflect it back to you. Oh also definitely never be sucked in by completely selfishly motivated lies (for the most part anyway) by men because they are pretty much always only motivated by one thing and as soon as there's something/someone more appealing that they have a chance of getting they will drop you like a rock and anything they previously said to you will have a very generous (sarcasm) value of 0.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Let's do this ...

I adopted my princess from a shelter. Calypso is approximately 2yrs old. She was rescued from some pretty bad conditions where she was treated horribly. We have come such a long way since she has been with me these past 14 months.
IMG_4552.JPG
IMG_4548.JPG

When it comes to my biological family I'm not sure I can answer that question. There is someone who I'm not biologically related to who I consider family who I admire a great deal. I admire them because they are more supportive than I could even ask for. Never given up on me. Loyal to a fault and a heart of gold under the rough exterior. I could go on. I'm not sure if I resemble too many of their characteristics, but we can both be hysterically immature, which is great at times.

I would prefer to never step food in an actual store. Gift shopping online I can ponder for hours/days to find the perfect fit.

A received a pet rock.

Love isn't enough, be careful.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter

This little gal rescued me at a shelter a few months ago and now believes she runs the house, sometimes I think I have been trained. :) She is a few years old or so.

My mom definitely and after that her parents, my grandparents. The life lessons I did not get from her they taught me and my brother a lot about the real world. I know from pictures I resemble my dad looks wise and have always been told personality wise which can not always be a good thing but can be interesting considering he survived almost all of the 1950s in Huntsville State prison in Texas and did not survive by being someone's bitch. LOL

Online for me especially with recent events, before that in stores so that I could look at the actual product and handle it.

Received...can't think of anything creative, given I do carpentry so I build a lot of gifts such as building the crib and toy box for my nephew when he was born and the dollhouse built for my great nieces/grand nieces this year. Her parents picked it up this past weekend as a early Christmas gift and were glad they brought a dually to be able to carry it. It's the size of a queen sized bed, with how little they still are they can pretty much live in the thing.

In 1980 or so invest in that upstart company Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00