I’ve got a step-nephew. A couple of them actually, but I’m talking about one in particular. I usually leave the “step“ part out because I’m adopted; I’m not biologically related to any of my family, so I don’t gaf about that, but it’s relevant that he hasn’t known me his whole life like my other nephews.
Anyway, a few years ago, I walked in on him watching anime. I was looking at the screen to see what he was watching, and he started explaining what anime was and it was really clear that he was expecting me to start giving him shit over it.
I still remember the way his face lit up when I told him that I watched it too and just didn’t recognize his show (Hajime no Ippo) and we got into a conversation about it, and I recommended a few older shows.
This is aside from the fact that I was never inclined to give him shit about anything, but I think he knows that a bit better now.
That was a few years ago, but when we see each other we still compare notes about what we’re watching and recommend/tell the other to avoid shows they haven’t seen yet.
Anyway, it’s very flattering when young people treat the things I like as still relevant. A part of me dies a little when I hear those things referred to as “old” or “retro,” but still.