Status
Not open for further replies.

FFurry

SF Supporter
A new government survey reveals the reality of middle-aged hikikomori between 40 to 64 years of age in Japan who still live in their rooms and depend on their parents who are between 50 to 83 years of age.
Thanks, that's somewhat eye-opening... I think we have something similar here in the US, but what we don't have is the support system. I would guess many such people are living on the street here. It's all too easy to find oneself suddenly out there with nothing...

Thanks, that's somewhat eye-opening... I think we have something similar here in the US, but what we don't have is the support system. I would guess many such people are living on the street here. It's all too easy to find oneself suddenly out there with nothing...
Very true many homeless people in the US. are Neets.

WaterUnder

Transient SF'er on hiatus
SF Supporter
Yes Welcome To The NHK is my favorite anime and i want to save that for when i create a thread in my story when i feel ready to tell my story but to give a brief summary i was bullied in school a lot when i was younger my parents put too much pressure on me to fit in and be normal and they never actually prepared me for the real world and i was verbally emotionally and mentally abused a lot by my family growing up i am a fundamentally broken human being who sees the world through a colorblind point of view because i've been treated like shit my entire life and that is why i hate myself and my life.
I am really sorry you went through what you did growing up.
Although I don't isolate myself the way you describe, I can see how a person can be drawn into that that kind of lifestyle, it must feel safe in the beginning, but after awhile it must feel like a cage.
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm wondering if you can set small goals. Going to the mailbox. Taking a walk around the block. Saying hello to someone on the street. Ordering a meal at the drive through. ?? One little goal a day.

I am really sorry you went through what you did growing up.
Although I don't isolate myself the way you describe, I can see how a person can be drawn into that that kind of lifestyle, it must feel safe in the beginning, but after awhile it must feel like a cage.
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm wondering if you can set small goals. Going to the mailbox. Taking a walk around the block. Saying hello to someone on the street. Ordering a meal at the drive through. ?? One little goal a day.
I go through cycles sometimes i make progress and show signs of getting better but then i just fall right back to where i was before and i think depression has a part to play in that as well.

WaterUnder

Transient SF'er on hiatus
SF Supporter
I go through cycles sometimes i make progress and show signs of getting better but then i just fall right back to where i was before and i think depression has a part to play in that as well.
it sounds like a tough way to live. it's good that this forum is here, i'm sure there are many people who can relate to the depression, isolation, loneliness.

I know this phenonem pretty well, I searched about it and I'm nearly one but I do go out of my bedroom more often but it's getting harder. I'd firstly say that it's not only in Japan. It's worldwide and mainly due because of modernity and this society. It's known more in Japan cause as you may all know, Japan is more advanced in terms of modernity and technology. I don't pretend to be right, it's just my opinion.
I do think people getting into it are mainly the sensitive ones (a.k.a the "weak" for this society). I mean, seriously, I fully understand them : who wants to work to survive without any purpose nor liberty nor enjoyement. Modern slavery at its peak..
It's kind a way of protestation for people who don't have enough strength and purposes to say anything. The people who are tired about everything. (Please keep in mind that's it's my opinion as a nearly hikikomori)

I tend to see a good amount of NEET from the US though. But I don't know how since it's an ultra capitalist country. But you certainly know more than me since you live there, and it might be harder, yes. Especially when it's not by choice, or I mean, an indirect choice.

I don't think that's entirely true keep in mind the term Neet comes from the UK. and there are a shit ton of Neets in the UK. some of which who probably fall under the definition of hikikomori and never leave their rooms hikikomori isn't strictly a Japanese only problem anymore because Japanese researchers have found cases of it existing in other countries and in some other asian countries where the condition is recognized it is the same condition but it has a different name for example in South Korea hikikomori is called the socially withdrawn youth and in China hikikomori is called the hidden youth same condition but with a different name.
There are plenty of Hikikomory in Russian. Most of them were bullied by parents, teacher, or street hooligans\gangsters\gopnics.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
This is my life pretty much. I watched the doco about two years ago. Surely they go mad... it isn’t healthy. I know it from first hand experience
I also know it from first hand experience, it most definitely is not healthy, would you be willing to seek help if a mental health worker called in to see you? Some do that now for extreme cases. I am no longer like that but still quite isolated. You can talk to me any time you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00