How do you ground yourself?

Rockclimbinggirl

SF climber
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I was wondering how others ground themselves?

I often do a 5 senses countdown.
  • Describe 5 things you can see
  • Then 4 things you can touch/feel. Like their textures, temperature, etc
  • 3 things you can hear
  • 2 things you can smell
  • 1 thing you can taste
I also try to spot 5 things in a room that are blue, then red, pink, green, etc.

Brian777

Safety and Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Hey Rocky, I've been learning mindfulness meditation techniques. One way that seems to work for me is moving my attention from my head to my body. Like feeling your feet on the floor, where they touch the ground, feeling the energy in your feet and hands. I'm not explaining this well, sorry. There are some good books on mindfulness and I'm pretty sure it helps.
Brian

ThePhantomLady

Safety and Support
SF Supporter
That method usually works for people I find, I have often instructed my boyfriend through that when he has had panic attacks...

One thing that works for me is a Butterfly Hug my therapist taught me... but I think she's a bit annoyed that I seem to forget to use it...

The method is to hug yourself, putting your fingers on each upper arm, and gently one by one in a slow and steady pace tap your upper arms... it apparently works by cross stimulating the brain.

ThePhantomLady

Safety and Support
SF Supporter
I think that's the exercise we did in DBT last week, only with a flower... then we had to put it back and after a while find it again...

fosty

Mindful walking. Take my shoes and socks off and walk around on the carpet watching and feeling the sensations in my feet.
Or in meditation I imagine roots going down into the earth from my feet

I take deep deeeeeeeep breaths. Like literally, as deep as i can. This is the most helpful thing for me. Whether I'm angry, sad or panicking, it helps a lot.
like @fosty I also enjoy walks, and when i walk, make a point of looking at the sky. It reminds me that there is some kind of beauty in this world!

fosty

I take deep deeeeeeeep breaths. Like literally, as deep as i can. This is the most helpful thing for me. Whether I'm angry, sad or panicking, it helps a lot.
like @fosty I also enjoy walks, and when i walk, make a point of looking at the sky. It reminds me that there is some kind of beauty in this world!
Returning to the breath is a cornerstone of many spiritual traditions. When I studied vipassana we practised mindful breathing for 3 days. it was very healing

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00