Jim's Cafe 20/03/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
coollogo_com-90931318.png
I had a rather tough week this last week, I just couldn't get out of a serious funk following a night of bad decisions and alcohol, but.... IM BACK BABY!!! *stars And just in time for International Happiness Day! So sit back, try to think happy thoughts, and welcome to Jim's Cafe!
In the Spirit of complete happiness, I have attempted to make this a complete cafe experience. So enjoy the Music, the Fun Facts, and whichever table or tables takes your fancy, and remember to mingle and chat amongst yourselves :)

The Music
Feel free to leave this running as you peruse the menu and mingle with our other guests.

Fun Facts
It wouldnt be a Dante's Interpretation of Jim's Cafe without a few weird and wonderful facts plucked from the far reaches google :P
1) According to Nordic Food lab, the comparatively similar protein structure and how it coagulates means that Pigs Blood is a perfect substitute for eggs in any kind of sweet baking. They even went so far as to suggest volumes: 1 Medium egg being equivalent to 65g of blood. (or 45g if the recipe only calls for egg whites).
2) If you crush anything primarily sugar based (polos or other candies for example, or just plain sugar) then if you look closely enough you will be able to see tiny little flashes of blue light. This is an example of Triboluminescence.
3) Our sense of smell is pretty rubbish in the grand scheme of things, for example, an average dog can supposedly smell their owner from 11 miles away. (So its no good taking a shower, you cant hide :P)
4) Apparently if you stare at yourself in the mirror for 10 minutes in a very dimly lit room (think candlelight), your brain gets so bored that it starts to hallucinate using your face as a canvas.... I kinda want to try this.
5) When an Aztec woman gave birth, it was thought that she was doing battle with the Gods. If she gave birth, she had won her battle and earned her reward, and if she died, she had fallen in battle, and become a spirit called "Cihuātēteoh" or "Divine Women", a spirit similar to those of men who died on the battlefield. (I know its kinda odd, but I think this one)
6) When mathematician George Dantzig arrived late to a lecture at Berkley he mistook 2 famously unsolved statistic problems his professor had written on the board as homework, solved them and handed them in for marking 3 days later.

The Happy Table
Where we examine all the things that make you happy (and yes, I know I'm setting myself up for some depressing answers on this table).
1) When was the last time you were truly happy?
2) What smell makes you happy when you smell it and why?
3) What was the last thing that made you laugh?
4) Who have you made happy? (this could be a partner, friend or just someone you helped)
5) If there was 1 thing that could make you happy, what would it be?

The Story Table
As it is "World Storytelling Day" lets talk about the stories we all love.
1) What is your favourite published work of fiction? (Book/Movie/TV etc)
2) What is your favourite genre of fiction
3) What is your favourite story from history?
4) Tell us your favourite story from a friend/relative/coworker etc
5) Tell us a story from your life.

The Creative Table
Not so much questions as a prompt: Share with us something creative that you have done. Drawing, Poetry, Writing, Music, Singing, Dance, Woodwork, a Blog, Baking (it counts, I have seen some creative cakes), some MacGyver style DIY, Programming, or just new ways of expressing yourself. Let your creative side shine :)

Recruitment Table
Where you volunteer to make the next cafe
1) Say "I volunteer" as large and eye-catchingly as possible and tomorrow, post a cafe.
2) If someone has already done number 1 say "I volunteer" along with a date as large and as eye-catchingly as possible and post a cafe on that date.

Tags
@SillyOldBear @Ash600 @Auri @1964dodge @Champagne @MisterBGone @Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @Sunspots

Last edited:

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Ty for posting the cafe today & tagging me @Dante :) I don't have the focus or energy to read those facts right now so just gonna answer the q's, will come back later to read the facts though. Always enjoy them when I have the energy, and appreciate that you take the time to find & post them of course ;) Here's my answers to the q's, tried to answer most of them.

The Happy Table
Where we examine all the things that make you happy (and yes, I know I'm setting myself up for some depressing answers on this table).

When I watched Star Wars with my friend the other day (anytime I'm watching Star Wars I am definitely very happy for sure lol) :)

Oh god, so many things! Flowers (esp. roses), cookies baking, bread or other things baking, lavender, my pillow, my room, my sweet adorable perfect lil kitty, meat bbq-ing, fireplaces burning fire, cake, lots of things. And they all make me happy when I smell them because of either the memories they evoke, or that they are just smells that bring me comfort of some kind.

Watching my kitty play with her new toy :)

4) Who have you made happy? (this could be a partner, friend or just someone you helped)
Lots of people, but especially my mom, sis, rl friend and some people/friends online too :)

Winning a million dollars, cos then I would never have to worry about money again which would be very great.

The Story Table

Harry Potter.

2) What is your favourite genre of fiction?
Suspense, thriller, general or some fantasy is good too.

Can't think of anything for this sorry lol.

When my ex co-worker friend told me about these kids who lived near him and how when he first met one of them they were only wearing one shoe. So after that whenever he talked to her (or about her!) he called her "one shoe" I always thought that was so hilarious, he was a very funny guy, miss him a lot.

Can't think of anything interesting enough really sorry lol I'm pretty boring I think.

The Creative Table
Not so much questions as a prompt: Share with us something creative that you have done. Drawing, Poetry, Writing, Music, Singing, Dance, Woodwork, a Blog, Baking (it counts, I have seen some creative cakes), some MacGyver style DIY, Programming, or just new ways of expressing yourself. Let your creative side shine :)

Ok, sure! :) I love creating things, have made a couple Star Wars book type things (days of the week book, a book dedicated to Mark Hamill (basically just pix of him and describing words lol), some bookmarks and countless collages of pix of Mark Hamill of course. Won't post those here though since I get a strong impression I've both talked about and posted too many things related to that (don't worry, I don't intend on doing it anywhere but my diary, ever again), so I will just post this collage I put together earlier today. Oh I have a poems thread in the poetry corner forum too if anyone is curious to read them (no pressure though I promise, only if you really are interested, otherwise feel free to skip it lol) ;)

positivecollage031921.png

Recruitment Table

1) Say "I volunteer" as large and eye-catchingly as possible and tomorrow, post a cafe.
Just wanted to state officially, I do not intend on doing a cafe again, ever. Was going to abstain even from replying in one ever again, but I won't let myself take it that far at least. I enjoy replying, esp. when there's fun questions, and when people tag me it's literally painful for me to not thank them for thinking of me since it means so much to me to be remembered and thought of. So I will always reply to them (as long as I'm able of course lol) especially when I'm tagged because I love them a lot :)

2) If someone has already done number 1 say "I volunteer" along with a date as large and as eye-catchingly as possible and post a cafe on that date.

Livelife

SF Supporter
Thanks for the tag @Dante. Nice music!
Point one....my first thought was meringue when you mentioned sweet baking and egg whites, I don't think it would be an attractive color on top of pie or cake, lol.
On point 4.....there is an old technique called Tratakum that is used as a transporting/altering meditation....putting a candle in front of a particular kind of picture, sitting in front of it and staring into it. It's intense :)
The smell of freshly baking bread and the smell of wisteria and gardenias are big smile inducing...
Outlander was a great book series, well written and historically researched, also The Mists of Avalon....as a kid I used to love reading stories about Merlin....
I play music...keyboards:)
The end of covid contagion would be happy making

Last edited:
The Happy Table

Yesterday was a pretty stressful day but my mom and my cat made it better lol
Cinnamon because it reminds me of peace
My cat when she kept sitting on my keyboard while i was in class lol
My mom
World peace...

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Just wanted to state officially, I do not intend on doing a cafe again, ever. Was going to abstain even from replying in one ever again, but I won't let myself take it that far at least. I enjoy replying, esp. when there's fun questions, and when people tag me it's literally painful for me to not thank them for thinking of me since it means so much to me to be remembered and thought of. So I will always reply to them (as long as I'm able of course lol) especially when I'm tagged because I love them a lot
Whats wrong? Did something happen? :( Does me inviting you make you uncomfortable?

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter

Probably when my nephew was born. I get to be a crazy uncle and spoil the boy. LOL That same fun continues with my grand nieces.

Frying bacon, onions also, makes me drool. :)

Watching any comedy and I love comedies and laugh a bit even if I rarely smile.

I made my great nieces/grand nieces happy with their Christmas present of a dollhouse I built for them. There have been others that I have helped out but that is another story.

After going to the eye doctor yesterday, the better health when younger. I went from 20/40 to 20/70 within a year, but should not complain because it was the first eye change I have had in almost 10 years. Time to get new glasses.

Book would be most anything from Verne, TV and movies would be Firefly/Serenity.

Comedy or sci/fi perhaps with a bit of horror mixed in.

That varies with what I recently read. One favorite is Douglas Hegdahl, American POW in Vietnam who went man overboard on a Navy ship, was captured and convinced his captors that he was an American peasant who could not read and write, he was ordered to come back home as an early release and was able to provide the identities of 300 POWs held in Hanoi to which the US government in peace talks said that the Vietnamese would be held accountable for them since the Vietnamese had never released a name list of POWs captured.

So many that are fun from my grandmother(mom's mom) where she taught me such things as making items like lye soap, candles, how to know what plants and herbs are used for medicine and how to cook.

One of the few times I was scared in my life. My grandparents built this house in the early 1970s and I moved in here in 1999. While cleaning out the workshop I did see something that I recognized what it was and how dangerous and deadly. My grandfather worked all his life as a farmer and until about the time I was born (1963)you could legally buy dynamite because farmers used it for blasting tree stumps, blowing boulders and clearing land. I found a mostly empty case that still had 6 sticks in it. It was old, and old dynamite sweats nitroglycerin which forms in crystals on the stick like this had done. Highly unstable just like in western movies where people handling the stuff carried it around like they were holding a rattlesnake. Sheriff's department said it was probably produced and bought in the 1940s or 1950s. There was enough to blast the shed and me into little pieces.

One of the few things I am creative with is carpentry and wood working. An image of the desk I built for my mom when in wood shop in high school in 1980. I still do a bit of working to this day.

Desk.jpg

Livelife

SF Supporter

Probably when my nephew was born. I get to be a crazy uncle and spoil the boy. LOL That same fun continues with my grand nieces.

Frying bacon, onions also, makes me drool. :)

Watching any comedy and I love comedies and laugh a bit even if I rarely smile.

I made my great nieces/grand nieces happy with their Christmas present of a dollhouse I built for them. There have been others that I have helped out but that is another story.

After going to the eye doctor yesterday, the better health when younger. I went from 20/40 to 20/70 within a year, but should not complain because it was the first eye change I have had in almost 10 years. Time to get new glasses.

Book would be most anything from Verne, TV and movies would be Firefly/Serenity.

Comedy or sci/fi perhaps with a bit of horror mixed in.

That varies with what I recently read. One favorite is Douglas Hegdahl, American POW in Vietnam who went man overboard on a Navy ship, was captured and convinced his captors that he was an American peasant who could not read and write, he was ordered to come back home as an early release and was able to provide the identities of 300 POWs held in Hanoi to which the US government in peace talks said that the Vietnamese would be held accountable for them since the Vietnamese had never released a name list of POWs captured.

So many that are fun from my grandmother(mom's mom) where she taught me such things as making items like lye soap, candles, how to know what plants and herbs are used for medicine and how to cook.

One of the few times I was scared in my life. My grandparents built this house in the early 1970s and I moved in here in 1999. While cleaning out the workshop I did see something that I recognized what it was and how dangerous and deadly. My grandfather worked all his life as a farmer and until about the time I was born (1963)you could legally buy dynamite because farmers used it for blasting tree stumps, blowing boulders and clearing land. I found a mostly empty case that still had 6 sticks in it. It was old, and old dynamite sweats nitroglycerin which forms in crystals on the stick like this had done. Highly unstable just like in western movies where people handling the stuff carried it around like they were holding a rattlesnake. Sheriff's department said it was probably produced and bought in the 1940s or 1950s. There was enough to blast the shed and me into little pieces.

One of the few things I am creative with is carpentry and wood working. An image of the desk I built for my mom when in wood shop in high school in 1980. I still do a bit of working to this day.

View attachment 43635
What a great desk. I hope you got an A+ in the class. I'm curious...who moved the dynamite for/with you? Did you get to blow something up with it?:)

Last edited:

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
What a great desk. I hope you got an A+ in the class. I'm curious...who moved the dynamite for/with you? Did you get to blow something up with it?:)
Thank you! I did get that grade for it. I built it to last and it would take 2 or 3 people to move it. My grandfather taught me carpentry, and I do a bit of it. My brother is the mechanical one in the family and any vehicle older than when chips control everything he can fix. I am so non mechanical I have to repeat righty tighty lefty loosey to change a flat. LOL IIRC it was DPS(TX state police) that sent a unit for the dynamite. The things were illegal to have by that time, but legalities were the least of my problems at that time, plus the police in TX especially locally have a highly favorable opinion of me because of something in my past so I was less concerned about that than being put into orbit. They control detonated it wherever they took it off to.

Last edited:

Road to Nowhere

💫💫💫💫💫
SF Supporter
Just wanted to state officially, I do not intend on doing a cafe again, ever. Was going to abstain even from replying in one ever again, but I won't let myself take it that far at least. I enjoy replying, esp. when there's fun questions, and when people tag me it's literally painful for me to not thank them for thinking of me since it means so much to me to be remembered and thought of. So I will always reply to them (as long as I'm able of course lol) especially when I'm tagged because I love them a lot :)
I hope you reconsider opening Cafe's JMG, they are a hit and your themes are great too. *hug

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
The Happy Table

Hmm, can't really recall and that's what bothers me.

Freshly baked food because it gives me a good feeling.

Probably watching the Masked Singer with my mom and we were joking.

My friends and family, at least I hope I have.

To know I have a secure future.

The Story Table

Hard to pick just one, but I like the Chronicles of Narnia.

Thriller, comedy, horror, romance, drama.

The story of Susanna Salter is one of them. She was nominated to be mayor as a joke, because men didn't want women running at that time. But the joke was on them because she won by a landslide and became one of the first female mayors.

My friend saw a piece of cat poo as a kid and it looked like fried chicken or something. So the story of poo chicken was born.

I stuck my hand down a gopher hole when I was a kid because I wanted to pet it. lol

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
View attachment 43633
I had a rather tough week this last week, I just couldn't get out of a serious funk following a night of bad decisions and alcohol, but.... IM BACK BABY!!!*stars And just in time for International Happiness Day! So sit back, try to think happy thoughts, and welcome to Jim's Cafe!
In the Spirit of complete happiness, I have attempted to make this a complete cafe experience. So enjoy the Music, the Fun Facts, and whichever table or tables takes your fancy, and remember to mingle and chat amongst yourselves :)

The Music
Feel free to leave this running as you peruse the menu and mingle with our other guests.

Fun Facts
It wouldnt be a Dante's Interpretation of Jim's Cafe without a few weird and wonderful facts plucked from the far reaches google :P
1) According to Nordic Food lab, the comparatively similar protein structure and how it coagulates means that Pigs Blood is a perfect substitute for eggs in any kind of sweet baking. They even went so far as to suggest volumes: 1 Medium egg being equivalent to 65g of blood. (or 45g if the recipe only calls for egg whites).
2) If you crush anything primarily sugar based (polos or other candies for example, or just plain sugar) then if you look closely enough you will be able to see tiny little flashes of blue light. This is an example of Triboluminescence.
3) Our sense of smell is pretty rubbish in the grand scheme of things, for example, an average dog can supposedly smell their owner from 11 miles away. (So its no good taking a shower, you cant hide :P)
4) Apparently if you stare at yourself in the mirror for 10 minutes in a very dimly lit room (think candlelight), your brain gets so bored that it starts to hallucinate using your face as a canvas.... I kinda want to try this.
5) When an Aztec woman gave birth, it was thought that she was doing battle with the Gods. If she gave birth, she had won her battle and earned her reward, and if she died, she had fallen in battle, and become a spirit called "Cihuātēteoh" or "Divine Women", a spirit similar to those of men who died on the battlefield. (I know its kinda odd, but I think this one)
6) When mathematician George Dantzig arrived late to a lecture at Berkley he mistook 2 famously unsolved statistic problems his professor had written on the board as homework, solved them and handed them in for marking 3 days later.

The Happy Table

The Story Table

The Creative Table

Recruitment Table

Tags
@SillyOldBear @Ash600 @Auri @1964dodge @Champagne @MisterBGone @Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @Sunspots
I wish I have something to release me from this reality, just one bad decision is enough.
It's good to be around and to know you all, regardless.

Another fun fact, when an Aztec baby is born, he/she will be told by the midwives about all the terrors of this world. I remember this is from a Youtube video. I'm not sure if it's true or not.

The Happy Table

When was the last time you were truly happy?
- When I had a vacation in a mountainous city. The place is colder, compared to the rest of the country, which is tropical, hot and humid during the time of vacation. My souvenirs from such trip is a bag of pine cones and local grown potatoes and berries.

What smell makes you happy when you smell it and why?
- Vanilla and blueberry, I guess. I'm happy when I can have the time to find and drink things with such smells.

What was the last thing that made you laugh?
- When I made a joke in a meeting. Not every meeting has to serious and solemn, especially when everyone needs creative solutions and innovative ideas.

Who have you made happy? (this could be a partner, friend or just someone you helped)
- I guess the people at work, they laughed at that joke.

If there was 1 thing that could make you happy, what would it be?
- A few weeks with nothing to worry about, work nor family, just so that I can be on my own to get back on things that I have tried to do in the past, like drawing and learning Japanese.

The Story Table

What is your favourite published work of fiction? (Book/Movie/TV etc)
- Journey to the West. There are many TV series all based on the Chinese historical fiction novel with the shared name. For TV series, I prefer this Chinese 80s one (which is more popular in China and Southeast Asia).

What is your favourite genre of fiction? - Sci-fi (science fiction).
What is your favourite story from history?
- Nothing much. I'm usually able to find controversies in history that can be argued in term of politics. It's just exhausting because people are more aggressive in politicalized historical discussions because of nationalism, factionalism and all that.

Tell us your favourite story from a friend/relative/coworker etc
- My ex-classmates are often found themselves in successes and happiness in life. It's good for them but I'm jealous for all that. Their life stories are far more interesting than mine, to be honest.

Tell us a story from your life.
- I did this quite a lot in My Story section of the forum, and I cannot reveal too much about myself. How about my English?

English is not my native language. Almost everywhere on Earth, students are required to learn the language as a subject. There are other languages introduced in schools, as well, like Mandarin or French, but most schools prefer English.

12 years in public schools was about tenses, grammars and all that but anything practical in using the language. A failure in communication with a tourist was all I need for a turn.

Then, a lot of American and British movies, English songs, video games, newspapers, TED videos, etc. All of those with English subtitles on and a dictionary, even Google Translate. Books and extra English courses in educational centers, as well.

I guess I'm somewhat more comfortable speaking English with others now.

Blue Star

1) What is your favourite published work of fiction? (Book/Movie/TV etc) Absolute favorite? Fave movie: It's A Wonderful Life. Book: The Worldview Of Rembrandt TV: Stranger Things

2) What is your favourite genre of fiction? Drama/Suspense
3) What is your favourite story from history? When Patrick Henry gave his famous "Give me liberty or give me death!" speech
4) Tell us your favourite story from a friend/relative/coworker etc When I was a kid, I once found a twenty dollar bill on the floor of a movie rental store. I just kept staring at the twenty dollar bill for like a whole minute, even though NOBODY was around. I don't know why I kept staring lol. I guess I was in shock. My cousin, who has much older, said, "Are you gonna pick it up?" I replied, "I don't know." He says, "Okay, I will pick it up and just keep it for myself." I picked it up LOL.

5) Tell us a story from your life. I cant really think of a story besides the twenty dollar bill story lol. Well, I remember in high school that I had just recently gotten a "D" in Honors Pre-Calculus. During lunch, I went to talk to my teacher about my grade. I went in the classroom, and one of my best friends was in there doing homework like usual (he was in Pre Cal too). So, I walked up to the teacher, who was sitting at his desk sifting through a pile of papers, and I asked him, "Why did I get a "D" for the semester?" As he was looking at my grade breakdown, he replies, "Well, you didn't always turn in your homework. If you don't do the homework, you won't be as prepared for the quizzes and exams." I said nothing and just turned around, with my head down, and walked out. Later that afternoon, my friend who was in the classroom during lunch when I went in to speak to my teacher about the grade, asked me, "Hey so what did Mr. Reynier say when you asked him about the grade?" I told him what he said and that I didn't reply to the teacher and that I just walked out. My friend said, "Yeah I saw that. You really bitched out man." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00