• Both the IOS/ Apple Iphone/ Ipad and the Android/Google versions of the sites mobile app are now available for download from the resources page. The app is free for all members. This app will allow you to get notifications on your mobile device whenever a thread or forum you watch has a new post, when your thread or posts get replies, when you recive a private message, etc. The links to download the app are in the resoiurces area - https://www.suicideforum.com/community/resources/categories/example-category.1/

Morning panic attacks (have you defeated them? tell me how!)

Depressed in SF

Just a suggestion, I think that this would be a fantastic thread for the Road To Recovery section. So many people go there looking for advice like this. Only if you want to though. Take care :)
Totally fine by me. I don't know how to move a thread from one section to another though.

Depressed in SF

Another classic morning:

- alarm set for 6:30
- wake up at 5:00 to use the bathroom
- thrash around anxiously till 6:30
- call out of work entirely in the hopes that I can get some sleep
- roll around in bed till noon

Doc took me off Seroquel yesterday and upped my Lithium dosage. That + melatonin are currently my only sleep aids.

Anyone have any tips, meds, supplements, etc for getting a full 7-8 hours sleep?

MarkahMalady

To this day I wake up in the middle of the night with my pulmonary and respiratory rates elevated, panic attack ready to set in. What works best for me is a white noise app on my phone, relax melodies. It has a spring peepers setting so I'll do that and a few different rain noises, then lay and listen to that while holding my breath. Take deep breaths, hold it and exhale slowly. If my husband is available I'll make him hold me too. So far this is the best thing for me, I've been having panic attacks for 20 years and been on dozens of medications.

Depressed in SF

To this day I wake up in the middle of the night with my pulmonary and respiratory rates elevated, panic attack ready to set in. What works best for me is a white noise app on my phone, relax melodies. It has a spring peepers setting so I'll do that and a few different rain noises, then lay and listen to that while holding my breath. Take deep breaths, hold it and exhale slowly. If my husband is available I'll make him hold me too. So far this is the best thing for me, I've been having panic attacks for 20 years and been on dozens of medications.
Do these noises play aloud in the room or are you wearing headphones?

These morning attacks, in addition to be terrible for me personally, are also taking their toll on my wife. She can hear/feel me breathing heavy, thrashing around, etc and it keeps her up. (and makes her worry about me)

Depressed in SF

Oh also, make sure you're getting PLENTY of exercise, the more the better. At my most well adjusted I worked out about three hours a day.
This has been the hardest inertia to break for me so far. I grew up as an athlete and have worked out my whole life...but lately (last year or so) I've been unmotivated and the depression/anxiety create this vicious cycle. I absolutely know 100% that I need to get back into the gym, that it will help my mental well-being, as well as my sleep. Wish me luck in taking that first step...

MarkahMalady

This has been the hardest inertia to break for me so far. I grew up as an athlete and have worked out my whole life...but lately (last year or so) I've been unmotivated and the depression/anxiety create this vicious cycle. I absolutely know 100% that I need to get back into the gym, that it will help my mental well-being, as well as my sleep. Wish me luck in taking that first step...
Dude that's totally part of your deal then! You gotta get wore out to get some rest. You're gonna have to dig deep to find the energy at first but it will pay dividends, my friend.
Btw I play the noise app on some high quality ear buds for immersion.

Depressed in SF

Another day, another morning waking up well ahead of my alarm, in a full panic and, eventually, tears. Its really wearing on me. I'm getting 4-5 hours of sleep/night and when I wake up all I want to do is <mod edit>

Dragged my ass outta bed and into the shower, then put on the Headspace app for a quick meditation session. Wound up crying through most of it. I can't go on like this..

MarkahMalady

Oh, you poor thing! :( sorry you're still struggling. Has this happened to you at an earlier time in your life as well, or mostly just in adulthood?
For me night time panic attacks started ~25 and the majority occurred until age 28. Mostly occurring in a three year window, isolated occurrences still happen into my 30's.
If you're able to do so, you might need some extended R&R.

Depressed in SF

Oh, you poor thing! :( sorry you're still struggling. Has this happened to you at an earlier time in your life as well, or mostly just in adulthood?
For me night time panic attacks started ~25 and the majority occurred until age 28. Mostly occurring in a three year window, isolated occurrences still happen into my 30's.
If you're able to do so, you might need some extended R&R.
Hey Markah, thanks for being here on this one. Never had these sort of consistent panic attacks until adulthood. Wish I could take an extended leave but in the last 18 months I've had to take two separate 3 month leaves of absence, so I can't keep doing that. I heavily contemplated staying home from work today but I can't keep doing that either or I'll risk damaging my "brand" that I've worked so hard to build.

I def need to get back into the gym, just haven't had the time/energy/motivation lately. Hopefully soon..

MarkahMalady

Hey, I bet today you'll find the energy to make it to the gym and get a great night's sleep!
Oh I bet you're still doing a great job staying clean too :)
Good luck maintaining your "brand", buddy.

Depressed in SF

Day 30 off coke.
Day 4 off weed.

Can't. Sleep. For. Shit. Probably got 15 total hours sleep between Fri/Sat/Sun. Once again, this morning I woke up 2 hours before my alarm. Full-on anxiety to the point of tears. Instead of just suffering till my alarm went off tho, this time I got up, took a shower, meditated (which I'm still shitty at, but I'm trying) and caught the early bus to the office.

Going to reach out to my med doc. Been feeling shitty ever since she put me on Lithium. Maybe it doesn't agree with me? Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll give me Ambien! :)

The missing ingredient in all this is still exercise. Gonna try to force myself. The first step is always the hardest..

Petal

SF dreamer
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hi @Depressed in SF So sorry for how you are feeling today!

Day 30 off coke!!! well done :)

Day 4 of weed!!! Major well done :)

Do see your medical doctor, not all drugs agree with everyone, and maybe they can prescribe a sleeping tablet such as ambien or something similar.

I woke this morning with a panic attack and felt so nauseated I keep dry heaving, it was awful - really, really severe anxiety. No fun but medicine did help. PRN (as needed meds) as much as I hate taking them, they take the edge off.

Hope today proves to be a better day and hope you sleep tonight (hugs)

Depressed in SF

@Petal thanks for the encouragement!

Sorry to hear you had a rough morning today too...I also throw up and/or dry heave sometimes when the panic is that acute. Absolutely sucks...I hope your day got better as it went on. (mine did but I think that had something do to with the beers I drank at the office holiday party)

Talked to my doc today and they prescribed a sleeping med for the short term.

In the long-term (and as a way to move away from meds) they're suggesting Freespira. Its supposed to be great for panic/anxiety/hyperventilating, etc. You (or anyone else here) ever hear of it?

https://freespira.com/

(mods, I hope this link is OK...not trying to sell anything, purely informational)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$465.00
Goal
$255.00