Whats in a Word

Discussion in 'The Gameroom' started by SinisterKid, Aug 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Some words just irritate the hell out of me. So I want words you would like to see officially banned from use everywhere.

2. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

I want to see NORMAL banned, I just really really really dislike this word. Its a nothing word, ambiguous and just all round horrible.

Petal and mentalhealthnurse like this.
  3. mentalhealthnurse

mentalhealthnurse Well-Known Member

I hate the word "inadequate" when made in reference to other human beings. It's horrible.

SinisterKid likes this.
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

"should" annoys the heck out of me - as in someone else telling me "you should do this to fix that problem"
    If someone says, "You should order the steak, it's great. I had it the last time." I'm not bothered. "You should order the steak since you're so hungry," I am bothered.

"should" can almost always be replaced by "could" - "Maybe you could have the steak since you're so hungry" is a "suggestion" not a direct "I know what you need to do" order.

SinisterKid likes this.
  5. Brittless

Brittless Well-Known Member

well.. i don't know if these are officially words, but
    'fugly' and 'hella'

Inanimate and SinisterKid like this.
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think words like "fat" or "ugly" or just negative descriptors to put people down should be banned. Words can really hurt, no matter what anyone says.

shania, SinisterKid and Petal like this.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am in total agreement hun. Ugly is to put someone down and make them feel like crap, fat is to reduce their confidence and self esteem. Ugh :/

Witty_Sarcasm and SinisterKid like this.
  8. Witty_Sarcasm

Yep, I've been called that plenty of times, also been called stupid, crazy, and many other things. I just think any words that are used to put someone down should be banned, because they just suck.

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Those words for sure are degrading, I cannot stand the word ''trollop''. My teacher called me a trollop in first year (around age 12-13)it was kind of funny at the time but looking back it was uncalled for and I should have reported it to the principal.

10. Witty_Sarcasm

That's pretty awful. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I don't like when teachers insult students. They did it to me a lot too. Words can really degrade people. I even started calling myself negative things because I started to believe them after being told them for so long. It can really corrode your self-esteem.

Petal likes this.
  11. Rhydian

Rhydian Active Member

I can't think of any words that bother me anymore. I've learned that most people don't deserve the ability to hurt me. So... I guess the word "self-conscious" should be banned. Because it's pointless.

12. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

Self-(whatever)