Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious as to what other users on this forum think about the hikikomori phenomenon in Japan? For those who don't know hikikomori is a social condition caused by a group of symptoms that result in the affected individual withdrawing from society and living in isolation in their bedroom for 6 months or more but has no physical condition or other psychological problem as its main principal source. This phenomenon started in Japan in the 1970s and in recent years has started to pop up in other countries such as Italy South Korea France and The US what do you guys think about this phenomenon and what could help people suffering with the condition to recover?

Video about hikikomori

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
The reasoning behind it is different, my own isolation definitely has other psychological issues at it’s source, but their lifestyle seems remarkably similar to mine.

Your avatar is Satou from “Welcome to the NHK,” right? Someone recommended that series to me once and, while some parts of it were very different from my experience, other parts hit really uncomfortably close to home.

I wonder if you could maybe explain a bit more the reasoning behind your withdrawal from society. As I said, my own lifestyle is has some strong similarities to that of hikikomori, though the underlying psychological issues make that label inapplicable. But it is an extremely unpleasant way to live, especially long-term, and I’m curious as to why someone might choose it.

I've heard parents send them off to camps to try and get them to 'snap out of it' but it seems like it just makes it worse. Do you know of anyone who has recovered or heard of anything that has helped?
They do have rehab centers for hikikomori in Japan and just recently back in may 2018 Japan opened their first ever hikikomori employment company where people who are stuck in isolation can get hired to work online while never leaving their rooms.

BlueGreen

They do have rehab centers for hikikomori in Japan and just recently back in may 2018 Japan opened their first ever hikikomori employment company where people who are stuck in isolation can get hired to work online while never leaving their rooms.
Wow, that's a really positive solution. At least, it sounds like they are taking the issue seriously and providing solutions that are respectful and sympathetic.

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Though it's nice they did that. It doesn't help the situation that is occurring. Humans need interaction. Face to face. However, with the onset of cellphones, etc. It seems we are more and more withdrawing ourselfs into our own little worlds. I hope they are researching why this is happening.

The reasoning behind it is different, my own isolation definitely has other psychological issues at it’s source, but their lifestyle seems remarkably similar to mine.

Your avatar is Satou from “Welcome to the NHK,” right? Someone recommended that series to me once and, while some parts of it were very different from my experience, other parts hit really uncomfortably close to home.

I wonder if you could maybe explain a bit more the reasoning behind your withdrawal from society. As I said, my own lifestyle is has some strong similarities to that of hikikomori, though the underlying psychological issues make that label inapplicable. But it is an extremely unpleasant way to live, especially long-term, and I’m curious as to why someone might choose it.
Yes Welcome To The NHK is my favorite anime and i want to save that for when i create a thread in my story when i feel ready to tell my story but to give a brief summary i was bullied in school a lot when i was younger my parents put too much pressure on me to fit in and be normal and they never actually prepared me for the real world and i was verbally emotionally and mentally abused a lot by my family growing up i am a fundamentally broken human being who sees the world through a colorblind point of view because i've been treated like shit my entire life and that is why i hate myself and my life.

BlueGreen

Yes Welcome To The NHK is my favorite anime and i want to save that for when i create a thread in my story when i feel ready to tell my story but to give a brief summary i was bullied in school a lot when i was younger my parents put too much pressure on me to fit in and be normal and they never actually prepared me for the real world and i was verbally emotionally and mentally abused a lot by my family growing up i am a fundamentally broken human being who sees the world through a colorblind point of view because i've been treated like shit my entire life and that is why i hate myself and my life.
Sorry to hear that @adeadhikikomori. Are you getting any help right now? Sounds like you have been failed by a lot of people who should have cared for you. I hope you can share your story when you're ready. Take care.

Though it's nice they did that. It doesn't help the situation that is occurring. Humans need interaction. Face to face. However, with the onset of cellphones, etc. It seems we are more and more withdrawing ourselfs into our own little worlds. I hope they are researching why this is happening.
That's true Neets are becoming a big problem as well in the west with a lot of young people refusing to work nowadays.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
I wouldn't say I am exactly like this because I do leave my room. But I can stay inside for weeks at a time. I only go out when I have appointments or need groceries or something. I mostly feel uncomfortable in public and find it hard to interact. Also not a big fan of myself.

I wouldn't say I am exactly like this because I do leave my room. But I can stay inside for weeks at a time. I only go out when I have appointments or need groceries or something. I mostly feel uncomfortable in public and find it hard to interact. Also not a big fan of myself.
Technically the definition has changed over the years because recent research has found that 86% of Japanese hikikomori do actually go outdoors but spend a very limited amount of time outside for example leaving at night to buy groceries or a snack and going back home and that the hikikomori that do go outdoors are still spending most of the day and nearly everyday at home in their rooms.

The only time i go outside is to the grocery store once a month and i get fast food about every other week because there is a Mcdonalds right by my house so i just walk there and i always go out at night because i don't want to be seen by anyone.

I recently just saw a video on this and it was interesting because I have those symptoms too although not so severe because I realize I can't get better unless I want to get better (and that means stepping out of my comfort zone). In my opinion Hikikomori isn't a phenomenon, its just people suffering from mental illness/depression/anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00