Status
Not open for further replies.

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
View attachment 46023
HELLO ladies and gentleman and welcome to the often delayed or forgotten, but always loved Jim's Cafe! I am sorry I haven't opened one in a while, despite the intermittent posting lately, I have been busy, but today, I will pull my thumb out and help keep this going by opening the cafe again ^^

So, todays celebrations: Today is World Music Day, International Yoga Day, World Motorcycle Day, Selfie Day (shudder), Indigenous Peoples Day, Peaches 'N Cream Day, World Giraffe Day, Make Music Day, World Humanist Day, Daylight Appreciation Day, Go Skateboarding Day, Pride Month, Guitars on the Beach Festival, PTSD Awareness Month, Great Outdoors Month.... The list goes on and on and on. So Today we will have music, fun facts, a vast menu across the tables, an open bar and more ^^

Relaxing Music

Fun Facts.
1) The most watched show ever, worldwide, is Baywatch.
2) George Lucas paid for the entire $33 million production cost of Star Wars 5 himself by taking out a bank loan. He made his money back in 3 months and the film grossed over half a billion dollars making it the most successful independent film in history.
3) The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was actually a Captain Kirk mask painted white.
4) Although identified with Scotland, bagpipes are actually a very ancient instrument, introduced into the British Isles by the Romans.
5) The longest Marathon guitar session ever recorded was by David Browne, Ireland, in the Temple Bar Pub in Dublin. He played for 114 hours, 6 minutes and 30 seconds, confirmed by Guinness World Records officials from the 12-17th of June 2011, during which he played 1,372 consecutive songs.

Music Table
With Make Music Day, World Music Day and the Guitars on the Beach even in UK, how can we not discuss Music?
1) What do you like to listen to?
2) Who is your favourite Band/Artist? (Link/Video encouraged)
3) What's your favourite song?
4) Do you make your own music? (Link encouraged, but remember anonymity please)
5) What was the last music event you went to? (Stories encouraged)
6) What do you listen to when you need a pick-me-up? (Link/Video strongly encouraged)

Going Outside Table
With Daylight Appreciation Day and Great Outdoors Month, it seems right.
1) What is your favourite part of the great outdoors?
2) Do you prefer bright sunny skies, rolling clouds, thunder storms, rain?
3) Do you have a favourite place you go outside?
4) Whats the longest time you have avoided going outside?
5) Whats the longest time you have spent outdoors?
Stories for 4 and 5 encouraged.

Self-Care Table
A bit of a stretch, but I think putting International Yoga Day, International Humanist Day, PTSD Awareness Month and Selfie Day together gets you "Self Care"... right?
1) What do you do to keep yourself going/happy?
2) What methods do you use to cheer up/carry on when you feel low?
3) Who in your life helps you stay sane?
4) When was the last time you took a day to look after yourself? (get out, exercise, relax, a YOU day)
5) When was the last time you encouraged a friend to take care of themselves more?

The Bar
A place to relax and just say "Hi"
1) Say Hi
2) Say more.

Recruitment Table
Yes folks, its time for the old recruitment drive. Jim's Cafe is spending a lot of time between openings, YOU can help by posting. It doesnt need to be big, or even well thought out, just say "welcome", invite some people, be they regulars or veterans, and give us something to talk about. Job done.
Whenever I'm at work, all I see is people pushing on deadlines and demands. I really want to either abandon these people and their company to save any of my will to live or just kill myself now. Regardless, they would end up with with an unfinished product and memories of somebody they used to know.

Muzik Table
What do you like to listen to?
- I listen to anything that fits my mood, which is just about the same everyday, like depressed, frustrated, abandoned and lonely.

Who is your favourite Band/Artist? (Link/Video encouraged)
- NF (Nathan Feuerstein). Most of his songs fit my mood.

What's your favourite song?
- NF's Paralyzed, as above.

Do you make your own music?

- When I feel the loneliest and most abandoned, I would sing something randomly. They are kinda' like pop and folk song with a sad tune and a gibberish lyric.

What was the last music event you went to? (Stories encouraged)
- It was a traditional musical drama about a love story between a princess and a merchant, in early 2020. Well, there are music.

What do you listen to when you need a pick-me-up?
- I have no idea what can even pick me up. Coffee doesn't work much. So I'm always in the same suicidal state everyday. Alcohols work as sleeping pills for me, but I would have headaches and stomaches almost immediately after waking up.

Outside Picnic Table
What is your favourite part of the great outdoors? - Trees, the sky and winds
Do you prefer bright sunny skies, rolling clouds, thunder storms, rain?
- If I'm going outside, I prefer a bit of clouds carried by winds and the sun in between.

Do you have a favourite place you go outside? - Not really, I don't feel welcomed anywhere much.
Whats the longest time you have avoided going outside?
- Something like a day. It was when the place I lived got lockdown for a COVID test, so anyone was a bit more worried and reluctant to leave their houses. Then, it's Monday and I have to go to work.

Whats the longest time you have spent outdoors?

- 6 or 8 hours during a school trip.

Selph-Ker Table
What do you do to keep yourself going/happy?
- Procrastination, like being around here and Youtube.

What methods do you use to cheer up/carry on when you feel low?

- I don't. I can work despite my feelings, but not for long.

Who in your life helps you stay sane?
- Many people here. It's really rare to hear someone say they care about me, not my work. I don't think I'm sane, it's just that I haven't killed myself yet.

When was the last time you took a day to look after yourself? (get out, exercise, relax, a YOU day)

- None. There will always be someone with something for me to do for them or whatever larger cause this time.

When was the last time you encouraged a friend to take care of themselves more?
- Last Saturday, I think, somewhere here.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
thank you @Dante for opening the cafe and inviting me. i'll try to answer the questions. but for the record i want a special day. i want antique car/truck day lol.

music table :

1. favorite music : 50s and 60s music and some disco, who can say they don't like the song disco duck also like classical bach beethoven etc.

2. favorite artist/band : the beach boys, bobby vinton

3. favorite song : mr. lonely by bobby vinton. it's bittersweet and can trigger me but i love that song

4. make my own music : not anymore. i used to play trumpet and was very good, i do regret giving it up

5. last music event : can't remember that far back lol

6. music to pick me up : beach boys or other surfing music, especially songs that are good for cruising or have fun cruising.

going outside table :

1. favorite outside place : i love a still pond or small lake with trees surrounding it.

2. what do i prefer : partly cloudy with a light breeze in the low to mid 70s

3. favorite place : a small pond i go fishing in

4. longest i avoided going out : when i was recovering from a serious illness a few years ago i spent 3 weeks in the hospital. it was a long recovery. it took me a long time to leave the house probably around 6 weeks, i know this sounds stupid but i was afraid to leave the house. but my 64 dodge finally pulled me out of it lol.

5. longest time spent outdoors : if you count camping with a motor home i spent the entire summer on the lake one year. i used to go off season sometimes also. the owner of the campground used to turn the power on when we came, i used to celebrate new years eve with a roaring bond fire and lots of liquid refreshment lol.

self care table :

1. to keep myself happy : my 64 dodge always makes me happy. working on her or driving her makes me very happy, as well as all the people that love her. i wouldn't be this far without her.

2. cheer me up : again my 64 dodge. even if she's in winter storage we talk about her and plan on what to do with her in the spring. also car shows even though they drain us physically, cheers us up tremendously

3. who keeps me sane : my loving and adoring wife. she is by my side when i'm happy and there for me when i'm hurting. i can't count how many nights she basically stayed up most of the night keeping me safe. for now she's by my side while i'm happy.

4. me day : fathers day car show, it makes me so happy, and sunday i basically just chilled out recovering from the car show lol.

5. encouraged others : i try to always encourage others to keep fighting

the bar table

1. say hi : hi

2. say more : more

recruitment table :

i haven't been opening the cafe lately. i should start to do more.

happy monday everyone

mike...*grouphug2

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
1/2 - It depends.. sometimes I'll go for a hike/walk, sometimes I'll queue up the 3 Stooges for a laugh or two, or one of George Carlin's bits (his routines always ground me and help remind me, in a humorous way, how cocked-up we as a species truly are).

3 - George Carlin lol...

4 - I try to carve out a little time for myself EVERY day...

5 - Not really sure...most of the people I know are either already taking good care of themselves, or would just humor my advice and keep doing what they've always done anyway...
i love george carlin, he's definitely good for the soul.

mike...*hug*shake

Bbear82

i enjoy the oldies mainly the 60's
2) Who is your favourite Band/Artist? (Link/Video encouraged)johnny cash
3) What's your favourite song?at this point in my life
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=at+this+point+in+my+life+tracy+chapman
no
joe nicholos concert at south washington state fair
6) What do you listen to when you need a pick-me-up? (Link/Video strongly encouraged) up

Rasmus

MUSIC TABLE
With Make Music Day, World Music Day and the Guitars on the Beach even in UK, how can we not discuss Music?
I try to listen to a little bit of everything.

2) Who is your favorite Band / Artist? (Link / Video encouraged)
That's a hard one. I'd say my favorite band is La Vida boheme. Here's a link

3) What's your favorite song?
That one is even harder, I don't think I can pick just one.

I hope I will, soon.

I guess I didn't "went" to it, but metallica gave an online concert some months ago. I really enjoyed it.

6) What do you listen to when you need a pick-me-up? (Link / Video strongly encouraged)
This is really good if you need an energy boost!

GOING OUTSIDE TABLE
1) What is your favorite part of the great outdoors?
The fresh vibes I can get when I go somewhere I find enjoyable, I think.

Bright sunny skies. The warmer the day, the better.

3) Do you have a favorite place you go outside?
Somewhere green, where I can see the nature. Like a forest.

Months, maybe.

5-6 hours.

SELF-CARE TABLE
A bit of a stretch, but I think putting International Yoga Day, International Humanist Day, PTSD Awareness Month and Selfie Day together gets you "Self Care" ... right?
1) What do you do to keep yourself going / happy?
I don't do anything. I think being happy should be something natural. If I don't feel happy, I know doing something to change that is not going to work, so I don't bother trying.

2) What methods do you use to cheer up / carry on when you feel low?
When I feel too overwhelmed, I like to drink a bit. It really helps to forget about the things bothering me.

Besides the people here (thank you all), my brother.
4) When was the last time you took a day to look after yourself? (get out, exercise, relax, a YOU day)
To be honest, I can't remember.

5) When was the last time you encouraged a friend to take care of themselves more?
Well, I don't have many friends, so that's not something that happens very often to me lol. I think it's better that way, I am terrible at encouraging people.

THE BAR
1) hello, everyone.
2) how are you doing? I sincerely hope you all are doing fine.

Dinolaur

Human by day, Dino by night
Staff Alumni
Good morning Dante and thankyou for opening Jim's Cafe and for inviting me in :)

Music Table
1) What do you like to listen to? I like to listen to a bit of everything :) I like all music really (except classical *shudder*)
2) Who is your favourite Band/Artist? (Link/Video encouraged) I haven't really got a favourite as i go through phases with different bands/solo artists. I really enjoy listening to Hollywood Undead I wont post here as it can be quite offensive *hiding so i'll let you decide if you'd like to listen :D
3) What's your favourite song? I don't think i have one, but i do have one that uplifts my spirits called Classic - MKTO
4) Do you make your own music? (Link encouraged, but remember anonymity please) nope *dance4
5) What was the last music event you went to? (Stories encouraged) This is so embarrassing but I've only ever been to ONE actual concert which was Avril Lavigne and man she cannot sing live!! she was awful! my first proper boyfriend got tickets as a surprise and at the time it was great. Other than that i've been to my partners cousins band's thing which they're pretty good tbh. you can find them on spotify :) if you wanna listen drop me a message happy to share
6) What do you listen to when you need a pick-me-up? (Link/Video strongly encouraged) Technically i already answered that one on question no3 lol

Going Outside Table
1) What is your favourite part of the great outdoors? I don't think i really have one. I think general nature is quite nice to look at. I have an instagram account for the photo's i take :)
2) Do you prefer bright sunny skies, rolling clouds, thunder storms, rain? Well, generally i don't really like the heat but do like to see the sunny sky :) i love listening to the rain and thunderstorms but would much rather be inside watching them
3) Do you have a favourite place you go outside? erm.. nope not really
4) Whats the longest time you have avoided going outside? I'm not sure, maybe 2 weeks but by then im generally dying to get outside (cabin fever)
5) Whats the longest time you have spent outdoors? Maybe a few hours, unless camping counts?

Self-Care Table
A bit of a stretch, but I think putting International Yoga Day, International Humanist Day, PTSD Awareness Month and Selfie Day together gets you "Self Care"... right?
1) What do you do to keep yourself going/happy? I love to diamond paint, it really helps me relax and with anxiety and bad thoughts it puts them aside for a while. It's the best therapy. If you haven't seen what i've done their on the art forum :)
2) What methods do you use to cheer up/carry on when you feel low? exactly what i said above :) but also cuddles with my daughters help too
3) Who in your life helps you stay sane? My daughters help a great deal, but also my mum and my partners mum.
4) When was the last time you took a day to look after yourself? (get out, exercise, relax, a YOU day) Around a year ago when my partner took the girls out for the whole day. I had a me day. I got up, said bye to the girls, put vampire diaries on and binge watched it the whole day with a chinese for dinner, it was an amazing day, didn't have to worry about anyone but me :) was really nice
5) When was the last time you encouraged a friend to take care of themselves more? Maybe a few months ago. I'm kind of in a rut at the moment myself so its hard to encourage others when you're not helping yourself

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thank you for opening and inviting me @Dante

Going Outside Table

Animals and rebirth

Bright sunny skies

Not really, I like it all...I do like kayaking the mangroves

2 months during snow in 1994, when I finally did get out I felt like kissing the ground.

One week. I took my 3 chilren camping.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Nice cafe as always @Dante Thank you for opening. I’ll work my way around each table and answer the ones I can.

Music Table
I play clarinet and piano although clarinet is my main instrument I play in a concert band when covid doesn’t stop us. Prefer to play easy listening show tunes type of thing

A few years ago I went to see Hugh Jackman at the O2. It was a lovely evening.

Going Outside Table
Just being away from the house, nature and open spaces can be very calming. Love being by the sea.

Bit of a mix between sun and clouds. Don’t particularly like hot sun so something in the middle works for me

Dover sea front and a walk along the pier. I also like to sit in a local cemetery where it is beautifully quiet and pretty.

Self-Care Table
SF and keeping in touch with my BFF. Going for walks or just sitting away from the house somewhere. Cross stitch also helps.
D3C975AC-F56B-4FF6-9F32-5E1EE788E662.jpeg

My BFF ❀️

Auri

🎸🎢Metal Star🎡πŸ₯
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Thank you for opening and tagging me, @Dante .

Have a beautiful week, everyone! *stars*bounce

Music Table
Metal is where my heart lies, mostly melodic death metal these days. I also like film music, and would listen to anything I'm recommended.

Argh, this band for sentimental reasons, and because they are secret geniuses. The song is a soft ballad, fear not.

So many, from so many bands! No one will listen to 24-minute complicated songs, so I'll just choose one of my "shorter" favourites, ahem. A mix of heavy, soft and epic. β™‘

Nope. I used to play the electric guitar, but not compose.

I "went" to the Epica live stream a week ago. :P Before covid, the last concert I went to was on the 10th of March 2020, with Testament, Exodus and Death Angel.

6) What do you listen to when you need a pick-me-up? (Link/Video strongly encouraged)
Listening loud to any of my favourite bands cheers me up, even the sad songs. I suppose Amon Amarth qualifies as uplifting. :D

Going Outside Table
Nature. The blue sky, the sun, the green trees, the mountains and the lakes.

Bright sunny skies for sure, but I enjoy a proper thunderstorm as well.

Any forest with no people around.

2020 and 2021 have been particularly difficult for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure. ^^ If staying in a tent counts, about 5 days at a metal festival. :P

Self-Care Table
Listening to my music, spending time with friends, eating chocolate.

Same as for question 1. I also come to SF.

My friends.

Probably in the last couple of weeks. Though the stress rarely ever dies.

About a month ago, but they need a reminder.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
@Dante
the FACTS and the KEWS;
i’ll pick and choose…

Fun Facts.
1) The most watched show ever, worldwide, is Baywatch. every now and then i come across facts like this and i won’t even say what the others were because my reactions are quite different to so many’s love but it does make me wonder about the universe, the planet the species and well, what else is there? Baywatch! Who in the heck would watch that?!?!? (a certain one not of this earth… hint πŸ‘½. ok lets move on to something i can be more proud or less ashamed of…
2) George Lucas paid for the entire $33 million production cost of Star Wars 5 himself by taking out a bank loan. He made his money back in 3 months and the film grossed over half a billion dollars making it the most successful independent film in history. i hate money. but like star wars. puzzling…
3) The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was actually a Captain Kirk mask painted white. i’ve always had my suspicions about kirk.
4) Although identified with Scotland, bagpipes are actually a very ancient instrument, introduced into the British Isles by the Romans. i found out some of this when i found some non Scottish bagpipe music - from latvia actually. i posted in on my … So Amazed … Music thread. fascinating!
5) The longest Marathon guitar session ever recorded was by David Browne, Ireland, in the Temple Bar Pub in Dublin. He played for 114 hours, 6 minutes and 30 seconds, confirmed by Guinness World Records officials from the 12-17th of June 2011, during which he played 1,372 consecutive songs.

Music Table
1) What do you like to listen to? i love music and as i’ve said before and will again, I am so amazed by the music on this planet!
2) Who is your favourite Band/Artist? (Link/Video encouraged) Claude Debussy, Leroy Anderson, Billie Eilish, The Beatles, Gentle Giant, Panic at the Disco, Grand Master Flash, Lily Allen - i’ll stop here but the list is actually quite extensive to indicate my favorite. these were just the first to cross my mind in a random sort of way.
3) What's your favourite song? same here but this β€œsong” (melody) i have called my theme song on occasion - not actually sure why but… Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson and also my all time favorite song "Ue o Muite Arukō" by Kyu Sakamoto.
4) Do you make your own music? (Link encouraged, but remember anonymity please) Do you know the phrase β€œwe make beautiful music together”? well truth be told, just being here on earth just as much as it is with poetry, it too is with music and it is not made by me alone but by the combination of me being here and others being here too. that’s how i see it.
5) What was the last music event you went to? (Stories encouraged) Event may be the key word here. my parents took all my siblings and me to the opera, musicals, orchestral classical concerts and the like but i am not certain that this is what you were thinking when saying Event. in terms of Event that would have to be Woodstock! it may be the only Event i ever went to in this sense though i’ve been to many more concerts etc before and since.
6) What do you listen to when you need a pick-me-up? you can pick anything on my music thread https://www.suicideforum.com/community/threads/i-am-so-amazed-by-the-music-on-this-planet.160068/ but if it is something that i can find on the radio or internet or in a store or wherever - even on a walk in the park - like the birds singing - sooner or later it will be a pick-me-up for me.

Going Outside Table
1) What is your favourite part of the great outdoors? these days it is the park i take walks in because its close by and easy to get to and so full of nature right in the middle of NYC.
2) Do you prefer bright sunny skies, rolling clouds, thunder storms, rain? there is something special about a bright sunny sky with no clouds and the temperature about 43F.
3) Do you have a favourite place you go outside? again, these days its the park but i’d love to go to a lush forest far away.
4) Whats the longest time you have avoided going outside? maybe a day. not sure.
5) Whats the longest time you have spent outdoors? maybe a day. not sure.
Stories for 4 and 5 encouraged. the out door story: in college when i was a freshman we had to make shelters (artistically and functionally) and then we camped out in them for a day and night. that was fun. it rained too.

Self-Care Table
1) What do you do to keep yourself going/happy? hmm, i struggle
2) What methods do you use to cheer up/carry on when you feel low? hmm, i struggle.
3) Who in your life helps you stay sane? there is no one who can do that. anyone ever got close to indicating that they might quickly showed that they were as unlikely as everyone else.
4) When was the last time you took a day to look after yourself? (get out, exercise, relax, a YOU day) hmm, when in struggle mode, its an every day thing trying to look after myself.
5) When was the last time you encouraged a friend to take care of themselves more? i have family. they are friends. i encourage them as often as i can.

The Bar
A place to relax and just say "Hi"
1) Say Hi Hi!
2) Say more. hoping everyone can find some of this 🌞🌞🌞

Recruitment Table
Yes folks, its time for the old recruitment drive. Jim's Cafe is spending a lot of time between openings, YOU can help by posting. It doesnt need to be big, or even well thought out, just say "welcome", invite some people, be they regulars or veterans, and give us something to talk about. Job done. i will volunteer during those sporadic times when i feel the inspiration and lack the fear that someone else is preparing a Jim’s CafΓ© thread at exactly the same moment! i do feel one such day coming but not sure yet how soon that will happen.

and remember, πŸŒžπŸŒžπŸŒžπŸ›ΈπŸ‘½πŸŒ»

Rasmus

Thank you for opening and tagging me, @Dante .

Have a beautiful week, everyone! *stars*bounce

Music Table
Metal is where my heart lies, mostly melodic death metal these days. I also like film music, and would listen to anything I'm recommended.

Argh, this band for sentimental reasons, and because they are secret geniuses. The song is a soft ballad, fear not.

So many, from so many bands! No one will listen to 24-minute complicated songs, so I'll just choose one of my "shorter" favourites, ahem. A mix of heavy, soft and epic. β™‘

Nope. I used to play the electric guitar, but not compose.

I "went" to the Epica live stream a week ago. :P Before covid, the last concert I went to was on the 10th of March 2020, with Testament, Exodus and Death Angel.

Listening loud to any of my favourite bands cheers me up, even the sad songs. I suppose Amon Amarth qualifies as uplifting. :D

Going Outside Table
Nature. The blue sky, the sun, the green trees, the mountains and the lakes.

Bright sunny skies for sure, but I enjoy a proper thunderstorm as well.

Any forest with no people around.

2020 and 2021 have been particularly difficult for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure. ^^ If staying in a tent counts, about 5 days at a metal festival. :P

Self-Care Table
Listening to my music, spending time with friends, eating chocolate.

Same as for question 1. I also come to SF.

My friends.

Probably in the last couple of weeks. Though the stress rarely ever dies.

About a month ago, but they need a reminder.
Amon Amarth totally rocks!

Evael

One of the traits which most often gets mentioned to me is how I supposedly have a good taste in music, so I'll take questions from the music table here.

Most Gothic genres, sometimes progressive rock/metal as well. Symphonic metal is most common but I also listen to darkwave, doom metal, and of course Gothic rock/metal.

Certain structures and song lengths tend to be common as well. Songs which only repeat their chorus twice instead of three times tend to be preferred and six minutes is my generally my favourite song length.

There are plenty but as of late, recently discovered Avantasia and Dark Sarah. I'd say these two are my current favourites. Maybe.

Avantasia - Lucifer

Dark Sarah - Aquarium

The Cure - Burn is my overall favourite and has remained as such for quite a while now.

No, although I once dreamt of becoming a musician.

Never visited any.

Songs which convey a powerful sense of assertion, sometimes soft aggression, often help to calm me down and think. Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums is a good example.

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Ty for opening the cafe @Dante & for tagging me. Those are cool & interesting facts, fun q's too I'll try to answer all of them here.

Music Table

Rock, some pop, dance and classical.

ABBA.

Lay All Your Love On Me (by ABBA) it has some cool synth sounds in it.

No, I think I'd enjoy that a lot though but would need to have more info on how to do it first.

I don't tend to enjoy these very much at all but I went to one either last summer or the summer before.

ABBA, I love how most of their songs are cheerful and upbeat sounding, really helps lift my mood.

Going Outside Table

Trees, plants, flowers, animals, all the colors, sunrises/sunsets and fresh air.

Rain.

Not really, it's not so much about the place I go to as either who I go there with or just how I feel and my state of mind wherever I happen to go. The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven as the quote goes.

Good q but I don't think I know what the "longest" time is, probably a week or so maybe. Woulda been longer if I coulda done that but esp. as an adult it's pretty hard since eventually you have to get groceries or other boring chores like that lol.

Probably a few days when I went camping, thankfully that has not been for many years (not a big fan of camping, least not in tents that's for sure!)

Self-Care Table

Doing my best to stay focused on positive, uplifting, inspiring kinds of things that I'm grateful for in life, like the beauty of nature, animals, reading, good/interesting conversation, good/kind people, beautiful things in general (esp. nice clothes and various other material things) and being curious about why things are the way they are.

A lot of times eat chocolate (it helps within minutes which I definitely love a lot) or other not very healthy foods, reading either fiction, non-fiction or affirmations or just trying to find a distraction of some kind like playing a game or watching a show or movie.

I suppose just the fact that I have anyone in my life is something I try to focus on as being a positive thing that hopefully validates that I'm at least an ok and worthy person. Ideally I'd like to get to a point someday (the sooner the better!) where I don't need anyone for anything at all. Would be much safer I think.

Yesterday, did a lot of relaxing cos of having some physical pain again. It's not over yet but I'm hoping if I do the same today that it will be over by tomorrow. It's always hard to know how long it will last for which is half of the stress of it in a way.

Pretty recently I think, always trying in my own way to be encouraging and supportive to people in general. When I recommend a book to someone that's actually ultimately what I'm trying to do cos I know the book will have helpful ideas and suggestions with dealing with things in a more healthy and balanced way. Whenever I say that I hope everyone is well and having a good day that's basically what I'm saying too but maybe that doesn't come across I dunno. Maybe it doesn't matter much to anyone if I say that or not, not very sure anymore tbh.

Livelife

SF Supporter
Thank you for the tag @Dante.
:) It is also Summer Solstice :)

That's interesting about the bagpipe origin .
The dogs assist with my sanity here and there.
I listen to a wide variety of music, no favorites. I chant and meditate to Indian style music. I love to play Bach....keyboards. And I have fun playing a pipe organ on rare opportunity. I don't compose.
I enjoy most all of nature....mountains, hills, woods, water, green, desert, cloud formations and changes, watching storms move in from a distance, seeing wildlife in its habitat and up close at times. The blue of the sky, the intensity of a star filled night sky.
I've camped out for weeks at a time in the mountains and desert.
I just went today and worked out in a group class....not sure yet about the environment...we'll see.

Last edited:

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Various types, be rock, blues, funk n soul, and at times classical. Hell man, I'm open to all sorts
Who to pick, there's so many to choose from such as Stone Roses, Led Zepellin, Jimi Hendrix, The Allergies, The Cult, Jim Morrison etc.....
Too many to choose from, I'm not even going to try to pick one.
Nooo, I don't make, I just listen. Although I did try to teach myself to play the electric guitar once which kind of ended in disaster *facepalm
6) What do you listen to when you need a pick-me-up?
That can vary, usually it's a random selection tbh.

Baywasp

I know the world turns and it will turn on me
SF Supporter
Thanks for the tag @Dante
Music Table
Mostly rock (all kinds, especially indie) and some sorts of pop. Some jazz. I've tried to find artists I can at least appreciate in most genres.
2) Who is your favourite Band/Artist? (Link/Video encouraged) My favorite band is Pile. I think most Pile fans would agree that "Prom Song" is one of their best tracks:
3) What's your favourite song? "Snitch Jacket"-- Two Inch Astronaut:
4) Do you make your own music? (Link encouraged, but remember anonymity please) I used to write songs, but they sucked, so I stopped. I play various instruments and sing, but I haven't picked them up in a while. I think there's a link to a recording of me singing an Elliott Smith song in a thread somewhere on this site.
5) What was the last music event you went to? (Stories encouraged) I've viewed various livestream events during the time when live events were paused, including Bad History Month, Kal Marks, and Pile (multiple times.) None of them actually cost money to attend, though some of the times I sent the artist some money on Paypal or Venmo to thank them for the show afterwards and to help support them. My last in-person show was when Pile came to Pittsburgh in December. I don't really have much to say about it besides that it was a great show, probably the best concert I've been to. I get really shy at concerts and don't love crowds, so I tend to stand near the back. It was at this neat little DIY spot called The Mr. Roboto Project. I also bought a t shirt. I probably could have talked to the lead singer Rick Maguire before the show because I saw him hanging out in the venue. But I was too shy to approach him, and from what I've heard he can be kind of shy too, so maybe he wouldn't have wanted to chat anyway. IIRC there was a local band called Big Baby that performed just at this show, and Pile was doing part of their tour with another band that happened to be local to here, called Calyx (or something like that.)
I listen to music more to allow me to feel what I'm feeling and maybe just cry it out. Lately when I'm feeling down, I'll listen through the entirety of the album The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones and sing along when I don't end up crying. Though sometimes I just listen to the album at random times too.

Going Outside Table
Seeing animals
2) Do you prefer bright sunny skies, rolling clouds, thunder storms, rain? Fog is my favorite.
3) Do you have a favourite place you go outside? I like walking on bridges here. But it's not as nice as walking by the bay in San Francisco.

Self-Care Table
Keep music in my ears (when I'm out of the house) and food in my belly.
2) What methods do you use to cheer up/carry on when you feel low? Mostly I try to distract myself with funny videos or whatever.
3) Who in your life helps you stay sane? My best friend and some other friends, my sister and my mom. Even if I don't necessarily always talk to them about my feelings, it's nice to at least have someone to chat with.
4) When was the last time you took a day to look after yourself? (get out, exercise, relax, a YOU day) I haven't been doing much with my life lately so idk.
5) When was the last time you encouraged a friend to take care of themselves more? I don't tend to do that as much as I should. Maybe if a friend tells me they're not sleeping or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00